The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Boy and His Guns
I would like to second Rensin's post. In our world who would win the guy with the revolver or the guy with the bow. Easy, gun wins, faster and more deadly. But in WoW, a night elf archer can shoot arrows just as fast as a goblin can pull the trigger. Not only that, both sides have arrows/ bullets that multi-shot, explode, do fel damage or what ever else. I think the key word here is balance. Can you have a revolver or a hand cannon sure (There are models for both), but the warrior on the other side has just the same chance to split your skull as you do putting one between the eyes.

That being said, can you do anything you want? No, so there is still lore, but almost anything will fit inside WoW lore, you just have to look. Do some research on dwarves, gnomes, and goblins you will be surprised what you find. Not to mention gunmen, steam warriors, and Techno-mages. Between goblin/gnome tinkering and the mages not much is out of reach. My point is you should know where you get your armor/weapon, and the crazier the armor/weapon the harder you are going to have to work at your back story for it. Simple armor and sword could be issued to you, but enchanted armor and a bazooka you are going to have to dig deeper, rich, large quest, heirloom, brilliant inventor. Don't be afraid to play out these adventures in game, they can be quite fun. Back in the Gnomish special forces days we had some crazy stuff but every felt OK about it because we had spent days ICly building all of it.

Edit: A lot got posted after I started writing this, so sorry if it feels off the topic, I just wanted to throw my two cents in.
With all the reverse engineering that's likely gone on since the discovery of all those places in Storm Peaks, I like to think there's been some serious technical stuff going on behind the scenes (i.e., with the Steam Pistol you linked, and how, in Cata, Goblins have cars and ridiculous amounts of steam based technology). Personally, I lean towards the current game being more of a late 19th century, super early 20th century kinda deal.
(08-12-2013, 03:18 AM)Rini Wrote: I don't know the answers to any of these questions, save for one...

(08-11-2013, 09:08 PM)Valicor Wrote: What about a bazooka?

I saw a rocket launcher used in a RP event once led by Rigley. It was a great big pit fight and one of the fighters was given a rocket launcher to combat a devilsaur while sheep fell from the sky.

Spoiler:
NEEDLESS TO SAY IT WAS THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN AIHISDNJANDKLAFGHFA

Spoiler:
[Image: 34qa90z.jpg]
'Twas the day my jaw hit the floor.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
I wish so badly I could have made it to that event. Rigley and I were -dying- laughing when we were coming up with the stuff to do.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Posted this in another thread as well, but I'll put it up again. This is a test they did on plate armor against an early pistol. Showing that guns aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Test is around 3:00.
Coming from someone who has a character who has a history with guns.. Whether it be his side-arm or a massive mechanical beast that sported a flamethrower and fully automatic shoulder-mounted machine guns.. I tend to lean towards the more.. 'go crazy with tech' side of things. Of course, me personally.. the more complicated things have a lot of room for error. Back in the day, we RPed out researching and creating a fully automatic rifle but it was prone to jamming and other things that dumbed it down.

I guess, for me, I try to give my guns some type of counter-balance(hence why Piken's pistol suddenly jams when I roll a 3 ._.). Piken's guns, any and all of them, require(d) much maintenance between uses.

To give WoW an era of technology.. I'd say what others were saying, late 1800s into 1900s.. but I'm really bad with history and all that jazz.

Most importantly, though.. I just wanted to say something in conversation. ;-;
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Ah, lovely weapons technology. How I love thee.

I concur with Aroes, mostly. It's just that tech in WoW is at the least WW1-level, considering we have nuclear power and such, not to mention biplanes, burgeoning jet-power, flying fortresses with autocannons on them, bombers, spidertanks, steamsuits(From gnomish ones, to goblin Shredders), etc.

EDIT: Wrong century, wrong war. Read things wrong. I dun derped.

As for specific characters? I guess I've got Nim, who's a sniper that uses an exceptionally high-powered, tricked out sniper rifle(Dark Iron silencer, Magazine-based ammunition, bayonets), the ammunition for which is hand-crafted. I.E. She can't just stop by a store and buy more bullets. She has to make them herself or find someone who can. The rifle itself is probably the most expensive object she's ever touched, and the ammunition she uses is sometimes a feat of technology as well(from blessed bullets with incense and sacred herbs, to small mechanical drills). It's a rare piece of somewhat schizo tech. Problem is... the bad side is that she's nowhere near as good in melee as other rogues. Still quite disable/stealth-based, though.

Then comes Anaedith. S'a Steamwarrior. Has a mech. Aside for twin Dwarven Reciprocators(5-barreled gatling guns) underslung on its forearms, it's also got a Firestarter(think a heat-ray) rail-mounted on its back, that can only be fired while stationary, due to the weight of the thing while it's deployed. And yet the mere fart of an EMP can knock all of its systems out. And there's the danger of fire-based attacks cooking her inside the tin can. Or an ammunition explosion, which would be... far worse. Far. Far worse. Or just, you know, someone taking a rocket launcher to it and tossing it about, y'know?

And lastly, Lari. Defaults to a semi-automatic longrifle with a heavy blade on it. Being a Hunter, tends to use multiple kinds of ammunition(cryo-fluids to freeze stuff, incendiary rounds, explosive shells, acid canisters, tranquilizers, you name it, if the Hunter skills can do it, she can too). Also constructs things like fire gauntlets(literally a gauntlet with an integrated Goblin Dragon Gun/flamethrower, the fuel canisters being set into an armored bracer), or lightning gauntlets(insulated glove with a Lightning Generator built into the armored gauntlet around it), and other pieces of utility-centric tech.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
See, that's the thing that draws the line for me.

Okay, in RP, somebody has...a pistol. A semi-automatic gun. Even one of those huge guns (Arcanite Pistol). Okay. If they know how to appropriately RP using guns, then they can go all for it.
But...the crazy stuff. Lightning gauntlets? I'm just saying... if I saw that in an RP, I'd most likely scoff and be all like
"Yeah right."
And it's not because I doubt it's possible, or because I don't think people should have these things... I just don't know. I don't think WoW is -that- technologically advanced. Think more technology, outside of guns.
Sure, goblins have grills and street lights and all kinds of things. Goblins.
What do other races (besides gnomes) have? Cannons? Boats?

The trick with technology is that goblins and gnomes kind of split from everybody, and went on their own intelligence-spree. They've created waaaaaaay advanced stuff compared to the rest of the World (of Warcraft).

So then...if you're not a goblin or gnome...how can you properly justify having something like lightning gauntlets? (Not targeting you specifically flammos, you just gave a good example.)

Maybe I'm just odd with people having super-powered technologies.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
I can agree that sometimes it irks me a little when people have characters(that aren't Gnomes or Goblins) that have these incredible works of technology.

Gnomes can get a bit crazy when it comes to projects. Many Gnomes will spend -years- working on a project and ways to perfect it and even when they do 'perfect' it, they still try to add more to it to see if they can make it even better. Gnomes have a longer lifespan, as well as (usually)just a generally higher intelligence and aptitude for understanding and working such technologies because that's their entire culture and society. Goblins are the same in that their culture/society revolves around this technology(whether they do it well or not). And I'm not saying that it's impossible for people to be engineering geniuses and the like, it's just.. I dunno. Maybe I just want more Gnomes around. Draenei I could see as kind of an exception to this(anyone can be the exception, really..) as they have technology that actually is superior to Gnomes' but their society doesn't -focus- around it. With Gnomes and Goblins, maybe I just feel that they're justified in having the crazy high tech, where as everyone else has the same exact stuff and it just takes away from uniqueness?

I dunno. Lots of opinions up in hurr. And not meaning to step on toes or target anyone! Just kinda talking about of my 'arse'. >.>
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Well think about the lightning gauntlets for a second.

In warcraft, like a few other settings, magic and technology collide and make something wondrous.
Using elemental air as a rare component to mesh into the wiring and generator of a device you could somehow make electric power.

It isn't just about tech, its about how everything else in WoW makes that tech possible.

A bomb using elemental fire pulled straight from who knows where.
The bomb in the Alliance Airship that was empowered with Holy Energy and was for all intents and purposes a holy warhead.

But - magic even has its faults and limitations and so does technology. Meaning the marriage of these forces puts them on par with the fantastic world around them. Azeroth doesn't live by our rules, it lives by its own.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lord_Godfrey_%28shadowfang_keep%29.jpg]

Lord Godfrey, boss of Shadow Fang Keep. Notice what his weapons are? As for semi-automatic weapons? Re-watch my video guys.

This stuff is -in- WoW. Pistols and semi-automatic/full automatic weapons.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

It's in WoW on a gameplay level, but people are talking about how easy to get this kind of stuff would be ICly. I think the key word here is 'boss' - there's really no reason to ever assume an average character has the means to effortlessly get any kind of items you see on level 60+ characters and bosses alike (that is, without actually putting the effort in). Like, that kind of stuff probably really only makes up 1% of all the stuff available, otherwise blunderbusses and muskets wouldn't be used by basically all of Stormwind's guards, etc.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Players are the 1%, Maulbane.

Edit: Meaning, it should be alright for us to play ourselves as -beyond- average. Because the average sits at home or farms all day, waiting to be saved. Some people do play this character, but a majority of players are the "hero units".

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(08-13-2013, 08:01 AM)Valicor Wrote: But...the crazy stuff. Lightning gauntlets? I'm just saying... if I saw that in an RP, I'd most likely scoff and be all like
"Yeah right."

Gnomish Lightning Generator. The animation is shooting lightning out of your hands. It has a mere 1 min cooldown. Therefore, lightning gauntlets idea.

Goblin Dragon Gun. Animation is shooting a continuous stream of fire out of your open palm. Hence, flamethrower gauntlets idea.

S'all really. I base my things off'a stuff that you can get in-game, the vast majority of the time.

But yeah. We're the heroes. And for the record, Sillymoon appears to have an Engineers' Union, referenced by the Engineer units in WC3, which were the builder units in FT for the BElves. Elements of Sin'dorei tech can be seen in anything from farstrider longrifles that look quite high-tech, even sci-fi, to more traditional glaive-throwers, to absolutely esoteric things found in the RPG books like Firestarters.

And don't even get me started on Wormhole Generators, Dimensional Rippers, Teleporters, etc.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk WoW guns! Mirate 13 2,208 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Lil_Ren