The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Request for Clarification
Walluce Wrote:Often curse words are used in situations most unnecessary, especially upon the Internet as I doubt that what you see upon your computer screen, in the case of CotH, causes you such stress as to forget your formality and delve into the more improper recesses of your vocabulary. Instead of asking "Could I say this in Church?" I suggest a question more alike "Can I get my point across without the use of this curse?".

So in order to answer your question, Rentreality, I suggest to simple stay away from any cursing in the chat channels, or if you must do take it to /adult. I hope that has helped in some way.
Oh, but of course -- I would be the first to agree with you that the nigh-fetishistic use of cursing in our culture is to our detriment. Sadly, I would also be the first to admit that I am a (as of now) a recovering curse-a-holic.

There are a number of exclamations that may add emphasis and even some amount of shock not due to their vulgarity, but due to the rarity of their use in the modern vernacular. At times they may even shock more than your average four-lettered friend simply because of the effect of modern rarity.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Walluce Wrote:Often curse words are used in situations most unnecessary, especially upon the Internet as I doubt that what you see upon your computer screen, in the case of CotH, causes you such stress as to forget your formality and delve into the more improper recesses of your vocabulary. Instead of asking "Could I say this in Church?" I suggest a question more alike "Can I get my point across without the use of this curse?".

So in order to answer your question, Rentreality, I suggest to simple stay away from any cursing in the chat channels, or if you must do take it to /adult. I hope that has helped in some way.
Oh, but of course -- I would be the first to agree with you that the nigh-fetishistic use of cursing in our culture is to our detriment. Sadly, I would also be the first to admit that I am a (as of now) a recovering curse-a-holic.

There are a number of exclamations that may add emphasis and even some amount of shock not due to their vulgarity, but due to the rarity of their use in the modern vernacular. At times they may even shock more than your average four-lettered friend simply because of the effect of modern rarity.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
I just think it's really bad for the atmosphere when a guy says something without any intent on harming anyone else and gets sort of pseudo 'attacked' by maybe ten or so players.
[Image: Signature.png]
I just think it's really bad for the atmosphere when a guy says something without any intent on harming anyone else and gets sort of pseudo 'attacked' by maybe ten or so players.
[Image: Signature.png]
Diethe Wrote:Well I was there and saw the thing. Most importantly, the tension that the GMs built up the past couple of weeks poured out in this guy, who was really fairly new.

Fairly new would be an understatement, I put up my intro last night and joined this morning ;P
Edit: As to respecting GMs and rules, I seem to have spent half my time on Epilogue defending various GMs from QQing players xD
Diethe Wrote:Well I was there and saw the thing. Most importantly, the tension that the GMs built up the past couple of weeks poured out in this guy, who was really fairly new.

Fairly new would be an understatement, I put up my intro last night and joined this morning ;P
Edit: As to respecting GMs and rules, I seem to have spent half my time on Epilogue defending various GMs from QQing players xD
Eh. I don't really have much to add, as I haven't bore witness to these incidents nearly as often as they seem to be cropping up these days, but I'll just have to say that it doesn't matter debating it. If somebody's offended by using a word, then the way to deal with them is to not try and justify its usage, but rather ignore it, in my opinion. At my own admission, I have an absolutely horrifying guttermouth on a personal level, uncouth ruffian that I am, but there's this thing called etiquette and respect, which is especially necessary on the internet - even moreso on a community like CotH, which acknowledges this sort of thing in its rules explicitly.

I'm fully aware that a lot of people have different views of profanity than I do (thankfully - the world would be a terrible place otherwise), and I'm also fully aware of the fact that the words are, ultimately, useless in expressing yourself unless the situation really demands it. Eh. When you're talking to somebody, it's excusable to let things "slip out" - but behind a keyboard, there's no real justification, seeing as you do, in fact, have time to think things through before your fingers start hitting keys.

There's my two pence. Yeah, that's right. PENCE, NOT CENTS. GET IT RIGHT. How many people did I repeat in the above two paragraphs, by the way? xD

Shacklock Wrote:But...your American, you slaughtered the English language with frivolous use of Zs and simplifying of words long ago! :P

... I'm sorry, but QFT. :P However, it's awfully ironic how you seem to have mixed your "you're" with "your". Top show, old bean! *Tips hat*
Eh. I don't really have much to add, as I haven't bore witness to these incidents nearly as often as they seem to be cropping up these days, but I'll just have to say that it doesn't matter debating it. If somebody's offended by using a word, then the way to deal with them is to not try and justify its usage, but rather ignore it, in my opinion. At my own admission, I have an absolutely horrifying guttermouth on a personal level, uncouth ruffian that I am, but there's this thing called etiquette and respect, which is especially necessary on the internet - even moreso on a community like CotH, which acknowledges this sort of thing in its rules explicitly.

I'm fully aware that a lot of people have different views of profanity than I do (thankfully - the world would be a terrible place otherwise), and I'm also fully aware of the fact that the words are, ultimately, useless in expressing yourself unless the situation really demands it. Eh. When you're talking to somebody, it's excusable to let things "slip out" - but behind a keyboard, there's no real justification, seeing as you do, in fact, have time to think things through before your fingers start hitting keys.

There's my two pence. Yeah, that's right. PENCE, NOT CENTS. GET IT RIGHT. How many people did I repeat in the above two paragraphs, by the way? xD

Shacklock Wrote:But...your American, you slaughtered the English language with frivolous use of Zs and simplifying of words long ago! :P

... I'm sorry, but QFT. :P However, it's awfully ironic how you seem to have mixed your "you're" with "your". Top show, old bean! *Tips hat*
Well, I apologize on the tension around us, Shacklock. Usually it would take just one query from a GM warning you about your offense. Didn't think it would grow this big. It was proably because we (The players) prolonged it. Anyway, the tension was from trying to make the server back to its quality tip-top shape. Hope you still enjoy our stay here! This will only be temporary.

Yeah, I think he injustice here is that Shacklock did this once on the server since he's new and got the swift hand of retribution what should have been for those who have been doing it the past weeks.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
Well, I apologize on the tension around us, Shacklock. Usually it would take just one query from a GM warning you about your offense. Didn't think it would grow this big. It was proably because we (The players) prolonged it. Anyway, the tension was from trying to make the server back to its quality tip-top shape. Hope you still enjoy our stay here! This will only be temporary.

Yeah, I think he injustice here is that Shacklock did this once on the server since he's new and got the swift hand of retribution what should have been for those who have been doing it the past weeks.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
I, for one, come from a family that throws curses around lightly.
So I tend to do the same.
But the main point is to remember the key rule of the server which is...
Respect.

I was also raised that you must respect others enough to act around them in a way that may not offend.
And, honestly, cursing offends a lot of people. Church or not.
Not cursing around certain people shows (to me any way) that you respect their feelings towards certain words of the English language.

Though I honestly find curses words and only words, many people do not.
We have to respect other people's opinions.
"Everybody sees what you appear to be, few feel what you are..."
-Niccolò Machiavelli
I, for one, come from a family that throws curses around lightly.
So I tend to do the same.
But the main point is to remember the key rule of the server which is...
Respect.

I was also raised that you must respect others enough to act around them in a way that may not offend.
And, honestly, cursing offends a lot of people. Church or not.
Not cursing around certain people shows (to me any way) that you respect their feelings towards certain words of the English language.

Though I honestly find curses words and only words, many people do not.
We have to respect other people's opinions.
"Everybody sees what you appear to be, few feel what you are..."
-Niccolò Machiavelli
Sort of ontopic/offtopic rant here. (Seeing as a lot of this has to do with respect)

Lately, it seems people have just been outright rude to each other. A lot of people disrespect everything. They don't follow rules, they don't appreciate the work that our fine GMs do for us, nor do they appreciate the amazing community that we have.

This really should stop and it seems a lot comes from new players, but there have been cases of Grunts disrespecting each other as well. Please, remember that you agreed to the most important rule of any society. Respect.

(Looks like I was beat to it~ Ah well.)
Sort of ontopic/offtopic rant here. (Seeing as a lot of this has to do with respect)

Lately, it seems people have just been outright rude to each other. A lot of people disrespect everything. They don't follow rules, they don't appreciate the work that our fine GMs do for us, nor do they appreciate the amazing community that we have.

This really should stop and it seems a lot comes from new players, but there have been cases of Grunts disrespecting each other as well. Please, remember that you agreed to the most important rule of any society. Respect.

(Looks like I was beat to it~ Ah well.)

*Facepalm* You got me there and in defence I say....HUSH YOU DIRTY SCOUSER SHOo! :P *Cackles and runs off*

Edit: Anywho, naah this hasn't really damaged my view of the server. S*** happens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I get some clarification on the character death policy? Dae 3 1,024 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Clarification Regarding Multi-Classing and Variants Grakor456 17 4,337 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Xigo
  Initial approval request/question. hyenaskate 11 1,864 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Last Post: hyenaskate
  Request for something (In-Game!) Jaella 21 3,125 11-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  Request for rpitems! Miah 1 697 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Guest