The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Request for Clarification
Rensin Wrote:Again, it doesn't seem they were made an "example " of. Once it goes from someone not respecting the wishes of others for them to stop, it becomes something of an issue of respect. That's our number one rule.

I fully, and with my absolute heart, agree. This doesn't just stands for GMs, but extends to every player.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Rensin Wrote:Again, it doesn't seem they were made an "example " of. Once it goes from someone not respecting the wishes of others for them to stop, it becomes something of an issue of respect. That's our number one rule.

I fully, and with my absolute heart, agree. This doesn't just stands for GMs, but extends to every player.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
HownDoog Wrote:Agreed.
I think the final point should be once asked, stop.
This goes with everything besides cursing.
There have been too many occasions of people just flat out ignoring requests to stop doing something unreasonable.

Said once, said twice, said thrice.
Respect each other!
Why not go full hog?

[Image: billandted460.jpg]

Be excellent to each other!
HownDoog Wrote:Agreed.
I think the final point should be once asked, stop.
This goes with everything besides cursing.
There have been too many occasions of people just flat out ignoring requests to stop doing something unreasonable.

Said once, said twice, said thrice.
Respect each other!
Why not go full hog?

[Image: billandted460.jpg]

Be excellent to each other!
Sol Wrote:
Shacklock Wrote:... I'm sorry, but QFT. :P However, it's awfully ironic how you seem to have mixed your "you're" with "your". Top show, old bean! *Tips hat*

*Facepalm* You got me there and in defence I say....HUSH YOU DIRTY SCOUSER SHOo! :P *Cackles and runs off*

What're you saying, you daft Manc ba--

*pauses, looks around and backs away*

... :D Regional prejudice! High five!

Sorry, sorry. Don't eat me. D:

Its that complex system that makes our nation great. Regional hatred, then North>South Hatred then Britain>Europe hatred xD Its all rather friendly, traditional hatred though naturally.
Sol Wrote:
Shacklock Wrote:... I'm sorry, but QFT. :P However, it's awfully ironic how you seem to have mixed your "you're" with "your". Top show, old bean! *Tips hat*

*Facepalm* You got me there and in defence I say....HUSH YOU DIRTY SCOUSER SHOo! :P *Cackles and runs off*

What're you saying, you daft Manc ba--

*pauses, looks around and backs away*

... :D Regional prejudice! High five!

Sorry, sorry. Don't eat me. D:

Its that complex system that makes our nation great. Regional hatred, then North>South Hatred then Britain>Europe hatred xD Its all rather friendly, traditional hatred though naturally.
I saw someone say the English language was being bastardised and molested in unethical ways, so I thought I'd quote this thing from an article I read yesterday.

Quote:Purists everywhere would be up in arms about any changes made to the holy ghost of the English language, which is kind of naff because anyone who has read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales will see that English has already changed a hell of lot from its purer forms. In fact I think English was originally a Germanic language with more complex grammatical structures. There were masculine, feminine and neutral nouns, for example, but the aristocracy spoke French and the clergy spoke Latin and English was primarily the language of the proles. Being course and uneducated they dispensed with many of the grammatical complexities in favour of a free flowing and expressive language. They also made rules that never quite stuck in all cases, like “i” before “e” except after “c” when pronounced “ee”.

So why would anyone bang on about keeping the English language pure today when it's already been butchered, buggered and bastardised by our medieval forebears? If the purist argument was drawn to its logical conclusion we would all go back to speaking like middle English fellows, whose verbal tweaks would make this sort of thing sound positively post-modern:

Personally I think this guy is rite, and soon weill all rite more liek this, jah?

To be a little on-topic; Sharlock might have said a "light" curseword, been asked to stop and then done so again, even though he apologizes it doesn't really negate the fact that he completely ignored someone's wishes, which at least I perceive as rather disrespectful and is probably the reason he was suspended for, not the cursing.

Personally I rarely curse while speaking English, but speaking Swedish I don't spare a single sentence without a curse, except around parents and some people I care if they are offended or not, but that might just be how I was brought up.

Also; link to that article!
http://blogs.news.com.au/news/splat/ind ... h_spelling

Edit: Did I come late for this party? Whoops!
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I saw someone say the English language was being bastardised and molested in unethical ways, so I thought I'd quote this thing from an article I read yesterday.

Quote:Purists everywhere would be up in arms about any changes made to the holy ghost of the English language, which is kind of naff because anyone who has read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales will see that English has already changed a hell of lot from its purer forms. In fact I think English was originally a Germanic language with more complex grammatical structures. There were masculine, feminine and neutral nouns, for example, but the aristocracy spoke French and the clergy spoke Latin and English was primarily the language of the proles. Being course and uneducated they dispensed with many of the grammatical complexities in favour of a free flowing and expressive language. They also made rules that never quite stuck in all cases, like “i” before “e” except after “c” when pronounced “ee”.

So why would anyone bang on about keeping the English language pure today when it's already been butchered, buggered and bastardised by our medieval forebears? If the purist argument was drawn to its logical conclusion we would all go back to speaking like middle English fellows, whose verbal tweaks would make this sort of thing sound positively post-modern:

Personally I think this guy is rite, and soon weill all rite more liek this, jah?

To be a little on-topic; Sharlock might have said a "light" curseword, been asked to stop and then done so again, even though he apologizes it doesn't really negate the fact that he completely ignored someone's wishes, which at least I perceive as rather disrespectful and is probably the reason he was suspended for, not the cursing.

Personally I rarely curse while speaking English, but speaking Swedish I don't spare a single sentence without a curse, except around parents and some people I care if they are offended or not, but that might just be how I was brought up.

Also; link to that article!
http://blogs.news.com.au/news/splat/ind ... h_spelling

Edit: Did I come late for this party? Whoops!
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I didn't witness this situation myself, and I'm sure I don't understand it fully, but I'll just go with my personal view on profanity in public channels.

Some people take offense to profanity, even though you may not. ("you" being whoever reads this, not targeted at anyone in particular).

That's all I wanted to emphasize.
ALL HAIL THE TROLL
I didn't witness this situation myself, and I'm sure I don't understand it fully, but I'll just go with my personal view on profanity in public channels.

Some people take offense to profanity, even though you may not. ("you" being whoever reads this, not targeted at anyone in particular).

That's all I wanted to emphasize.
ALL HAIL THE TROLL
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Certain words are universally accepted as curse words. (I would list the top 7 but then I'd get banned, Google is thine friend!) The primary of these words are used in crude fashion in reference to body parts, those in conjunction with the F-word classify as no-no words. Our parents generally taught this to us and as we got older we learned to use these words because they were forbidden and such usage made us feel grown up. (Not everyone has the same history, but still) Some of us grew out of that stage, some of us grew up to incorporate those words into every day use.

Neither way is wrong until you find yourself in chat and someone gets annoyed about the usage of those words which is when they request you not to proceed with the usage. When this happens you have two choices, Respect their wishes or swear at them. The first one includes a server rule, the second one breaks them, that should be enough in my opinion.

Censorship in public isn't always a good thing or a bad thing, the merit needs to be judged by the individual but decided on by the community of which that individual is a part. In this case it looks like the community would much rather uphold the standard and refrain from using swear words in public channels, if the word is questionable, veer on the side of caution and limit use.

Simple method, right? So.. where's the fireworks? I thought there were flamethrowers and explosives somewhere in here.. *skips off to the next thread, Zippo™ in hand*
:mrgreen:
"In your world, power is determined by who has the biggest bombs. In my world, power is determined by yahtzee skills and who has the cutest kitty quote. Which is really the sane one?"
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Certain words are universally accepted as curse words. (I would list the top 7 but then I'd get banned, Google is thine friend!) The primary of these words are used in crude fashion in reference to body parts, those in conjunction with the F-word classify as no-no words. Our parents generally taught this to us and as we got older we learned to use these words because they were forbidden and such usage made us feel grown up. (Not everyone has the same history, but still) Some of us grew out of that stage, some of us grew up to incorporate those words into every day use.

Neither way is wrong until you find yourself in chat and someone gets annoyed about the usage of those words which is when they request you not to proceed with the usage. When this happens you have two choices, Respect their wishes or swear at them. The first one includes a server rule, the second one breaks them, that should be enough in my opinion.

Censorship in public isn't always a good thing or a bad thing, the merit needs to be judged by the individual but decided on by the community of which that individual is a part. In this case it looks like the community would much rather uphold the standard and refrain from using swear words in public channels, if the word is questionable, veer on the side of caution and limit use.

Simple method, right? So.. where's the fireworks? I thought there were flamethrowers and explosives somewhere in here.. *skips off to the next thread, Zippo™ in hand*
:mrgreen:
"In your world, power is determined by who has the biggest bombs. In my world, power is determined by yahtzee skills and who has the cutest kitty quote. Which is really the sane one?"
So to the OP - Did you get your clarification amongst all these posts? :p
So to the OP - Did you get your clarification amongst all these posts? :p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I get some clarification on the character death policy? Dae 3 1,024 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Clarification Regarding Multi-Classing and Variants Grakor456 17 4,337 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Xigo
  Initial approval request/question. hyenaskate 11 1,864 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Last Post: hyenaskate
  Request for something (In-Game!) Jaella 21 3,125 11-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  Request for rpitems! Miah 1 697 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Guest