The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Request for Clarification
As I've said, I believe it is all a matter of tact. I think it's safe to say -- although downright frightening -- that the English language has taken a nose-dive within the last century. This can be said especially when what we deem as "foul language" is being used more often than not.

We as a whole, as the CotH community, try to keep this a quality server. Not just in our roleplay, but also our behavior out of character towards others who we play with. I will admit, there have been several instances where I've slung curses around, and personally I can understand if it's a part of your character's speech. But don't do it, IC and/or OOC, just because you think it might make you look cool. When you're talking with someone, or talking in a chat channel, consider this: would you curse when you're around people for the first time? Most likely you wouldn't, as it would leave a bad impression on whoever you were talking to.

That all being said, just remember that there's a time and place for everything. If you're not sure about offending someone with your language or not, just don't do it.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
A quick question, possibly slightly off topic, but why -do- people find swearwords, that aren't directed at anyone, insulting? Personally I view them as simply using tools of the English language to emphasize points and convey emotion. (Note i'm not trying to have a go at the rules, just curious.)
A quick question, possibly slightly off topic, but why -do- people find swearwords, that aren't directed at anyone, insulting? Personally I view them as simply using tools of the English language to emphasize points and convey emotion. (Note i'm not trying to have a go at the rules, just curious.)
And that was it. It is that everyone has to use profanity every sentence lately, and after dealing with it for the past few weeks and no one actually listening to us, we just got sick of it.

I mean, if I can not curse in the chat channels...Then why can't everyone else? I mean, jeeze! Have you not heard me talk in the CoTH-casts/vent?

Reminder: This is us having to deal with this sort of stuff everyday for the past few weeks. It wears on the staff. It really does.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
And that was it. It is that everyone has to use profanity every sentence lately, and after dealing with it for the past few weeks and no one actually listening to us, we just got sick of it.

I mean, if I can not curse in the chat channels...Then why can't everyone else? I mean, jeeze! Have you not heard me talk in the CoTH-casts/vent?

Reminder: This is us having to deal with this sort of stuff everyday for the past few weeks. It wears on the staff. It really does.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Kiffles Wrote:As I've said, I believe it is all a matter of tact. I think it's safe to say -- although downright frightening -- that the English language has taken a nose-dive within the last century. This can be said especially when what we deem as "foul language" is being used more often than not.
And I weep at its graveside. Alas, what a thing we have lost!

Kiffles Wrote:We as a whole, as the CotH community, try to keep this a quality server. Not just in our roleplay, but also our behavior out of character towards others who we play with. I will admit, there have been several instances where I've slung curses around, and personally I can understand if it's a part of your character's speech. But don't do it, IC and/or OOC, just because you think it might make you look cool. When you're talking with someone, or talking in a chat channel, consider this: would you curse when you're around people for the first time? Most likely you wouldn't, as it would leave a bad impression on whoever you were talking to.

That all being said, just remember that there's a time and place for everything. If you're not sure about offending someone with your language or not, just don't do it.
Succinct, well put, and to the point. Bravo. A+, would read again.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Kiffles Wrote:As I've said, I believe it is all a matter of tact. I think it's safe to say -- although downright frightening -- that the English language has taken a nose-dive within the last century. This can be said especially when what we deem as "foul language" is being used more often than not.
And I weep at its graveside. Alas, what a thing we have lost!

Kiffles Wrote:We as a whole, as the CotH community, try to keep this a quality server. Not just in our roleplay, but also our behavior out of character towards others who we play with. I will admit, there have been several instances where I've slung curses around, and personally I can understand if it's a part of your character's speech. But don't do it, IC and/or OOC, just because you think it might make you look cool. When you're talking with someone, or talking in a chat channel, consider this: would you curse when you're around people for the first time? Most likely you wouldn't, as it would leave a bad impression on whoever you were talking to.

Succinct, well put, and to the point. Bravo. A+, would read again.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
I understand your points Cressy and I do agree with the rules but I don't understand how the word F*** is acceptable in RP but "Hell" as in.."what the hell?" isn't allowed in an OOC channel :s
I understand your points Cressy and I do agree with the rules but I don't understand how the word F*** is acceptable in RP but "Hell" as in.."what the hell?" isn't allowed in an OOC channel :s
Cressy Wrote:And that was it. It is that everyone has to use profanity every sentence lately, and after dealing with it for the past few weeks and no one actually listening to us, we just got sick of it.

Fair enough and I can sympathise with that. Although I'm taking it then its not the matter in question but the frequency of it?
Cressy Wrote:And that was it. It is that everyone has to use profanity every sentence lately, and after dealing with it for the past few weeks and no one actually listening to us, we just got sick of it.

Fair enough and I can sympathise with that. Although I'm taking it then its not the matter in question but the frequency of it?
We attempt to keep OOC profanity to a minimum for that reason, actually - to try and keep any potential offenses prevented.

Oddly enough, I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that in-character swearing is acceptable if it's conductive/appropriate to the character's roleplay (if they're the type of character that would swear, that is). However, people should avoid doing so excessively, as then it kinda loses its meaning (in my opinion, anyway) and could potentially be perceived as an OOC outlet being used ICly, if that makes any sense.

Edit: I need to stop multi-tasking while posting, darn it. Five responses before I could finish. Hah.
We attempt to keep OOC profanity to a minimum for that reason, actually - to try and keep any potential offenses prevented.

Oddly enough, I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that in-character swearing is acceptable if it's conductive/appropriate to the character's roleplay (if they're the type of character that would swear, that is). However, people should avoid doing so excessively, as then it kinda loses its meaning (in my opinion, anyway) and could potentially be perceived as an OOC outlet being used ICly, if that makes any sense.

Edit: I need to stop multi-tasking while posting, darn it. Five responses before I could finish. Hah.
Short, sweet, to the point. While on the subject I vote we axe the in-game filter since nobody's bloody well using it.

It's in place for a reason. I'm not condoning it, but if it's a problem to you, use it. You can still get your point across and it's kind of easy to read the rest of it to get the gist.
Alakintra Blood Knight
Caediath Ebon Blade, Third War Survivor
Short, sweet, to the point. While on the subject I vote we axe the in-game filter since nobody's bloody well using it.

It's in place for a reason. I'm not condoning it, but if it's a problem to you, use it. You can still get your point across and it's kind of easy to read the rest of it to get the gist.
Alakintra Blood Knight
Caediath Ebon Blade, Third War Survivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I get some clarification on the character death policy? Dae 3 1,024 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Clarification Regarding Multi-Classing and Variants Grakor456 17 4,337 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Xigo
  Initial approval request/question. hyenaskate 11 1,864 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Last Post: hyenaskate
  Request for something (In-Game!) Jaella 21 3,125 11-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  Request for rpitems! Miah 1 697 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Guest