08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 360
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2648
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85254
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2217
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3396

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

A Tabletop Adventure!
So, I've had an itch I've felt a desire to scratch for a while now, and that itch is to have some good old fashioned tabletop-style roleplay happen. That said, with my RL group in shambles with everyone having moved off, it leaves me without a party to DM for. So! I come to you, CotH, seeking a few people willing to run through an adventure over the next few weeks, seeing who's willing, who's interested and who's actually capable of showing up for such a game!

What:

A tabletop game, the specifics of which haven't been decided yet. I've narrowed it down to some possible stories I'd like to run, with a few different settings:

FANTASY 1 - D&D: So, for this story I'd most likely use D&D 3.5 edition, or Pathfinder (I prefer Pathfinder just because it's a bit cleaner.) and the story, while a bit generic, would cast the players as preferably heroes seeking to restore peace and balance to a kingdom and battling against a currently unspecified threat.

Fantasy 2 - D&D:
Like the first, I generally prefer to DM for parties who're more heroic-leaning than not, but this game would lean more heavily towards monster races and characters who would normally be seen as the antagonists. Orcs, Goblins, Minotaurs... The list goes on, but the story would involve traveling to a long-abandoned fortress, to discover why the nearby forest (normally a haven for creatures and predators and whatnot) is now filled with a supernatural miasma that's turning the residents of the area completely mad.

Modern - World of Darkness: This one is indeed cast to be pretty modern, and I'm not going to lean towards any particular niche of the World of Darkness setting. The plot is pretty straightforward: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, World of Darkness Style. Someone has called the group together and they'll need to work beyond their differences, if not for the greater good then just to ensure their own survival or inevitable fortune.

When:

I'm a bit of a stickler for schedules when it comes to my "proper" tabletop games. I wholeheartedly want to start running within the week if possible, though next week works just as well. When I run my games, though, I usually insist on a specific time to be chosen for the weekly meeting and play, usually set in a place where everyone can spare a few hours and we can all have fun and stuff.

This isn't because I'm too big on schedules. Honestly I don't usually like them, but I've found with stories like this if it's left to "whenever everyone's next good" things can be delayed for weeks or months and eventually fall by the wayside, which I want to avoid. Which leads me to...
"But Hexproof, what if I can't show up?"
Well, plain and simple, we keep going. It's not that I want to be heartless and mean, and I'm not about to kill someone off for being busy one week, but unless most people aren't there, stopping an entire game for one person leads to the aforementioned slow death of the story.

Where:
Skype or Roll20 depending on the particulars. I'm not super big on full grid combat, but Roll20's a solid website for just general layout and knowing where everything is and all that jazz.

So! Is anyone even interested in this in the first place? I promise it'll be pretty neat.
As someone wise once said, the important thing is never to be fearless or confident. Most people have more than enough trouble with both. The trick is to fake it, because if you learn to fake it properly, it's the same thing as actually having confidence.
Spoiler:
[Image: c4i6Zq5.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Hexproof's post:
  • HolyHiveMind, Altaine
PM
I am interested!

I have time on weekday mornings, I am emt with a rotating schedule so I don't have the same days off every week. So if it is too much of a bother no worries.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4
I'm free from around 6 pm ST if doing over Skype and definitely free for long sessions after 10pm ST
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Depending on the times you're running, that standard D&D adventure does sound appealing!

I'll throw in my interest, but if you get a lot of people who want in, I'll step aside for someone else instead. :P
PM
Does it require the player to have voice chat?

PM
(08-26-2013, 05:59 PM)DuskWolf Wrote: I am interested!

I have time on weekday mornings, I am emt with a rotating schedule so I don't have the same days off every week. So if it is too much of a bother no worries.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

I can't do mornings sadly. When work picks back up for me, it's in the mornings, so that's out. Sorry!

(08-27-2013, 06:06 AM)Whorak Wrote: Does it require the player to have voice chat?

Nope! I don't actually use voice chat myself. ^_^;;
As someone wise once said, the important thing is never to be fearless or confident. Most people have more than enough trouble with both. The trick is to fake it, because if you learn to fake it properly, it's the same thing as actually having confidence.
Spoiler:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hexproof's post:
  • Whorak
PM
The interest is high. I wish to join.
PM
Alrighty! So counting everyone expressing interest on this thread as well as one or two people who've asked me on Skype about it, I'm going to be closing things off as of midnight tonight, server time, just because I'd rather be safe than have to turn people away because we've already got a number of people I'd have trouble managing.

For those of you who don't have me on Skype, it's daedalus12316 ^_^
Spoiler:
PM
I am currently busy with exams, so I won't be able to join in, but if you are ever creating another tabletop in the future, you know where to find me! :)

PM
Consider me back-up should you run shy on people. You've got my skype.
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choose Your Own Adventure V2 Mezrin 21 733 07-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  Magic the Gathering; Adventure Time Xigo 7 339 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Reigen's adventure in: Kitten Catching [Plus rounding up strays] Reigen 39 1,386 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Noble
  'Tabletop RPG Player Hunting' Xigo 19 690 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Dae
  COTH - An Adventure Game Clovis 39 1,330 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Psychyn