11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 584
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 3706
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 87457
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3129
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3460

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

A Teacher's Rant
/rant on

Studying for tests makes your teacher's life so much easier. Personally, I get depressed (and yes, I even sometimes cry) over tests that a majority of my students fail miserably.

THE DAMNED TEST WAS SO RIDICULOUSLY EASY.........and, as of right now (half graded), I have had four As out of about 80 tests..... four... *MOST* of the rest of the grades have been failing...there have been almost zero grades between A and failing. Now, I have to figure out if it was MY fault, or if it was simply because NO ONE took the test seriously and most chose not to study.

Moral of the story: Your teacher suffers more than you do if you don't study...trust me.

*tired, grumpy mumblings as she picks the red pen back up*

/rambling rant off.
[Image: MenkaSig2.jpg]
PM
What I've seen from my experience from a student is that if a student wants to pass, they're usually manage it somehow.
I've honestly only seen a few cases (in my area, anyway) in which a failure was caused by a teacher.
Perhaps that's just how things appear to be.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, when I work as a teacher's cadet and grade papers, I rather enjoy pointing out people's mistakes. Maybe there's just something wrong with me, or perhaps it's because I'm not putting the work into transferring over the information.
PM
I enjoy the process of pointing mistakes out *IN ORDER* to correct them...but not on tests.

When it's time for tests, the students and I have gone over the material until I'm cross-eyed and they (SEEM) bored and seem to be able to repeat my questions (and subsequently, the appropriate answers) by heart...as well as being able to take little twists and turns in stride.

We had a huge review before the test, we had ten minutes for question-asking on the day of the test, ...and I had (perhaps) four questions, all day long.

It's very disheartening and makes me wonder how many of them actually -do- care about their grade. I'll know the answer to that next week, as I allow my students to come after school and correct their tests for a few extra points (this is a TEDIOUS process on both of our parts, but allows them the opportunity to fix a fumbled test...it's also so much better than re-testing, since most tend to memorize answers and simply regurgitate for retesting...instead of actually learning the material.)
PM
First and foremost. I wish any ONE of my teachers in school roleplayed.

That aside, I agree with one thing. Kids will pass if they want to pass, or fail if they don't care. Unfortunatly, a lot of kids don't have initiative.

Now, where is my cane?
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
We got an awesome teacher at our school, he's into Metal and stuff, it's great talking to him.

Moving back on topic, I'll keep this is mind.

And yeah... About that cane... *whistles innocently*
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
PM
I know how you feel :(

Im a teacher of some sort myself, its upto me to train my platoon to 'fight' or they will quite frankly end up dead

I always studied my pants off when i was in school/college =D
Never give up i use to say! then i'd draw little stick men in my school books, but it helped me concentrate!

Poor teachers :(
But love to me is. When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I think, to me, love is: incompleteness in absence.
:// I love her
PM
*hugs poor Zema* I got off easy, I was an enrichment teacher, so the closest I ever got to grading tests was helping out with homework. Even that can be a bit painful, though, when a fourth grader looks you straight in the eye and tells you they can't read. Or when a parent tells you their child is exempt from even trying to do their homework because of a completely unrelated medical condition, but can't actually tell you what to do if said condition crops up.

...But those are my own rants. Ahem. *hugs again*
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
Sounds like they're just not interested. It's easier to do better in a subject when you're interested in the material. That's one thing US public school system seems to refuse to acknowledge. Of course, that's only valid for... 6th-7th grade on up, when people are at that "I need to find myself" age. I don't know what grade or subject you teach.
˜★Sketch Blog
Poor Menka....This is how I would teach:

"Alright kids, I've read over your tests. And a lot of you seem to be struggling, can anyone tell me why your scores aren't good?"
"Because-"
"I don't care! OPEN YOUR BOOKS AND READ!!"

As you can tell, me + children = a lot of trouble. I have no patience.
[Image: Zf6X.gif][Image: 3vBq.gif][Image: q3iX.gif][Image: 5rVk.gif]
Mah babehs. I'm watchin' you, government.
PM
My most interesting teachers were on more drugs then I was. I did well when I wanted to, the rest of the time I couldn't be fucked about our history or math.

Maybe you should do drugs.
You can't wax that.
PM
SinkMarylandSink Wrote:Maybe you should do drugs.

My name is Krent, and I approve of this message.
Spoiler:

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
PM
Please don't derail topics and show a little respect.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
Thanks for the support (those who chose to give it). Just got frustrated after the umpteenth failing grade on a test that I wrote for the specific purpose of being -easy- (due to all of the hurricane cleanup and such, *some* of my students needed a break).
PM
Zema Wrote:I'll know the answer to that next week, as I allow my students to come after school and correct their tests for a few extra points (this is a TEDIOUS process on both of our parts, but allows them the opportunity to fix a fumbled test...it's also so much better than re-testing, since most tend to memorize answers and simply regurgitate for retesting...instead of actually learning the material.)

I wish my teachers did that.

I struggle a lot in school because of my learning disabilities and I tend to fail a lot of tests. Not becase I don't know the material, but because I can't get my answers on the paper.

I've only ever had one teacher that put in that extra mile to help me pass the test. It's nice to see a teacher willing to do the same to give them a chance.

Cookies to you :)

PS: I love the spell check in Firefox!
PM
Divolka, I have a few learning disabilities, myself. I am severely ADHD (for those that don't know exactly what that is, and just know the "popular label"...here's the WIKI link- I am also proud to say that I have always been an unmedicated "ADHD Kid"). My ADHD has persisted to adulthood (as is normal in "actual ADHD" cases) and often affects my ability to complete one thought before proceeding to another, whether I'm speaking, writing, typing, or otherwise laying ideas out for others.

I am also dyslexic.

So, as you can imagine, those students who struggle (but CARE about their grade), are at the heart of why I teach, to begin with.

I empathize with you, and if you would like to PM back and forth, I have learned a huge number of coping mechanisms for many learning disabilities, not just the ones that I struggle with. I would love to try to help, even from a distance :)
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jonoth's Rant of Ranting! Jonoth 5 340 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  FF Rant Jetniss 11 363 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Last Post: DrinkArizona