The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

All, right, let's have it: Half-breed children born IC.
We know the server's stance on mixed race couples... but their children? I'd like to know CotH's stance on having mixed-breed children born in character. Yes, I know people will ICly rage. What about OOCly? Are they prohibited/banned? Should we avoid the issue altogether? What what?

If you know my characters, you'd know how this issue applies. No worries, I CAN TAKE THE HEAT! /(not)manly pose
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
I think you can ICly have them, but they would never be playable. IE: No one will be able to roll and play the child and it would forever be an invisible NPC.
(10-13-2011, 01:45 PM)Reigen Wrote: I think you can ICly have them, but they would never be playable. IE: No one will be able to roll and play the child and it would forever be an invisible NPC.

That's absolutely fine. The issue moreso lies on their existence than playability, though playability is also a curious issue if, let's say, two people roll a mixed race couple that got together 18 years pre-CotH time and the child is adult by the time of the present.

But I'm moreso concerned on dem babies. I'm cool with invisible NPCs.
There are a few examples of interbreeding in lore, thus it's not impossible in the least. I assume anything humanoid-isk in nature is compatible with each other.
Pretty much any humanoid race is compatible with each other. You've got half-human half-ogres in lore for cryin' out loud.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Part of the issue is our stance in rolling half-breeds to begin with. I know profiles have been disapproved should the character be half-this or half-that. Thus why I thought I'd ask for some clarification.
As for what I know, half-breeds are forbidden to play as... I'm not quite sure as for an NPC.
If anything, I imagine it would be possible, but should go through the GM team first!
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?
As for draenei their time on Draenor pretty much proved it's possible as there are more than one half-orc / half-draenei from before the war with orcs in the lore and that implies there's actually more not so famous ones.

And since coth more or less runs on real time when the crossbreed kids will be born now it really wouldn't be problem with their playability, if it will I'm pretty sure we can handle it in next eighteen years.

I don't know maybe I'm biased from Forgotten realms where 1/4 of the population are crossbreeds but if it's physically possible there's no real reason to feel it as immersion breaking, frankly said it would be immersion breaking if there would be no crossbreeds since that would make completely no sense. It's multicultural world and those different races do meet, it's like when you look at human races, I mean I have friend who has Korean, Russian and Czech lineage and human history proved up that even if you put two races together they'll start to mix and it doesn't matter if they blent together peacefully or it's during wars, raids and rapes.

So everyone who claims any kind of crossbread as so immersion breaking mary sue should maybe fill up on their wow lore and study on basics of antropology that explains all this nicely....

Honestly, while I have no intention to play one, I'd support allowing crossbreeds as special character request, of course it'd be harsh to get one approved but I just don't see reason why it should be banned completely.
"Everyone is hypocrite by nature. Burst their bubble and tell them real truth and they will hate you fiercely, no matter if they are pink or blue."
"Gray" Zennshinagas
Actually this came up before when my character was pregnant with a half orc.

1) It was allowable but it was also iffy and I think Grakor said the chances of fertility between the races was a little low

2) I heard that in the unlikely event that you rp out having the child until adulthood it *may* become playable but that would take up to 18 years of rp.

As far as other things go from what I understand -not- all humanoid races are compatible. There are only a few half breeds proven to have happen.

Human/orc
Human/elf
Orc/Draenei
Orc/Ogre

I heard there was some speculation about half night elves that were never proven and speculation about half orc troll but that was never proven either.
Not to mention, Oxhorn proved that forsaken and tauren can have kids
*shiver*
Dead-cowbies...

Back on topic. I believe that crossbreads are 100% possible (and not just the ones in lore). If a Draenei can have a child with a humanoid FROM ANOTHER PLANET then I don't believe any of the humaniods genetic structures would be to far off. On the other hand though I don't think the survival rate for crossbreads would be at all high (theres got to be SOME REASON as to why there aren't meny running around).

As for it being playable... I don't know honestly... I've always been a laid back RPer but I'm not sure about crossbreads... You gotta remember, no one person (except grunts when compared to peons and GMs compared to everyone else) is any more important then the next, so GMs have no way to filter out the flood of crossbread profiles. Even if they could filter out a few, there can be harsh feeling between player and GM if their profile gets denied because the player is not trusted enough or because there were too many profiles all wanting the same thing... I don't know... it'd be cool... but if we get cross breads as playable characters THEN I WANT KAZURU TO BE AN ANDROID AGAIN!
*chuckles*
I kid. I kid xP
With a hip, hip and a clippity clop
He's out looking for a head to swap
So don't try to figure out a plan
You can't reason with a headless man
~Disney

Sure, have your half-breed child. Know that it will never be roleplayed as, though. And know the ramifications for having one are severe (ICly).

Please stick to combinations that have actually occurred within the lore though. If you're attempting to have a half-breed child with no confirmation that such is possible with the lore, just say that it's just hard having the baby.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(10-13-2011, 04:31 PM)rodentjoe Wrote: On the other hand though I don't think the survival rate for crossbreads would be at all high (theres got to be SOME REASON as to why there aren't meny running around).

Because, cross-racial relationships aren't that popular.
Also keep in mind certain anatomical restrictions for cross-breeding. Tauren and Draenei both have hooves and horns, which I assume are also present as it grows in the womb. I'm not sure if hooves would be treated the same way as horns, which are small in birth and grow through adulthood, but I would assume it would be more difficult for the female in the cross-breed to be the non-Tauren or non-Draenei half.

Also, there is a human/gnome couple in WoW, and I assume any combo human/dwarf/gnome could work and be much more plausible.

As for playability, the only way I see it happening is for the character to resemble a single race of the two, with perhaps a mix of personality traits (like a Dwarf with a Gnomish mindframe). Looking at Garona, I'd say the father would likely be the dominant of the two, so the character's look would be whatever the father is. Also, it would definitely have to be a special profile, seeing as a mixed couple would be rare at this point, a cross faction mix being especially almost non-existant, the exceptions being Draenei/Orc since they come from the same planet, and blood elf/human since they were once allies as high elves. But at the moment, I'm sure these aren't even allowed.
Quote:There are only a few half breeds proven to have happen.

Human/orc
Human/elf
Orc/Draenei
Orc/Ogre

That being said, just because they haven't been seen doesn't mean they can't happen. With the above being taken into consideration quite a bit could be extrapolated from it.

If a human can have a child with an orc, and an orc can have a child with a Draenei, then a Draenei can have a child with a human, for example. Off the top of my head I can only think of another race to add to that list, being a gnome/human. So that being said, if...

Human/Orc
Human/Elf
Orc/Draenei
Orc/Ogre
Human/Gnome

is the race list that means you can have:

Human/Draenei
Human/Ogre
Human/Elf
Human/Orc
Human/Gnome
Orc/Draenei
Orc/Elf
Orc/Ogre
Orc/Gnome
Draenei/Elf
Draenei/Ogre
Draenei/Gnome
Gnome/Ogre (!)
Gnome/Elf
Elf/Ogre

Considering the fact that Elves are simply Trolls mutated by magic (From the Well of Eternity), much like the Highborne, to the High Elves, to the Blood Elves, we can also add them to the list.

Troll/Human
Troll/Orc
Troll/Gnome
Troll/Ogre
Troll/Elf
Troll/Draenei

The Dwarves, like the Humans and Gnomes, were made by the titans, and as such, -most- likely built them similar enough to have children. So!

Dwarf/Human
Dwarf/Gnome
Dwarf/Draenei
Dwarf/Elf
Dwarf/Troll
Dwarf/Ogre
Dwarf/Orc

So for the sake of continuity, and my own personal taste in a full list rather than one that's scattered, here's what I view as lore-approved races. Personally however, I think any race would ICly be able to have a child with any other race, but alas, not everyone has the same opinion:

Human/Draenei
Human/Ogre
Human/Elf
Human/Orc
Human/Gnome
Orc/Draenei
Orc/Elf
Orc/Ogre
Orc/Gnome
Draenei/Elf
Draenei/Ogre
Draenei/Gnome
Gnome/Ogre (!)
Gnome/Elf
Elf/Ogre
Troll/Human
Troll/Orc
Troll/Gnome
Troll/Ogre
Troll/Elf
Troll/DraeneiDwarf/Human
Dwarf/Gnome
Dwarf/Draenei
Dwarf/Elf
Dwarf/Troll
Dwarf/Ogre
Dwarf/Orc

P.S. to Wuvvums: I didn't mean to really pick your post out in particular, I just saw it as the best way to get my point across. This wasn't directed -at- you by any means, it was just a simple way to kind of... Springboard into my own view on it. <3
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
>gnome-ogre

Someone make a profile for this right now.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half a decade. Man, I'm old. Psychyn 7 1,577 06-24-2014, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Psychyn
  Children of the Earthmother - A guide to tauren roleplay (incomplete) ghaskan 7 4,965 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Two and a Half years..I suppose that's something. Ruibarra 0 759 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Ruibarra
  d50 - First Half of Character Creation LostStranger 10 2,386 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Children arnevar 19 3,155 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Wuvvums