The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Amivul's Very Formal and Quite Wordy Introduction
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

Greeting, I'm Amivul. I'm a visual artist, musician, worldbuilder, roleplayer, jokester and lover of things creative (and also things that are cool lookin'). I tend to get super juiced on concepts of the abstract, and I obsess over minor details; an aspect of my personality that's persisted since my youth. Indeed, I dressed as the blue Power Ranger for Halloween TWO times in a row. I'm a male too, not that it matters, but now you can paint a picture of my nebulous being with your brain thinking device.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

I'm from the Eastern coast of the USA and I only speak English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

I've played World of Warcraft since Vanilla, and I've been playing private servers since the Burning Crusade era.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I've been looking for a good roleplaying private server in the WoW universe for a bit, and this server really caught my eye. I'm pretty impressed that I actually have to write a Formal and Quite Wordy Introduction to actually play on the server. That's fine by me, it definitely will keep the community tight knit, something that's needed for a medium as personal and emotional as Roleplaying! At any rate, I've played on a few other private RP servers, and I've been disappointed by a lot of the exclusion of players. WHY WON'T YOU COOL GUYS TALK TO ME?! MY CHARACTER IS DEEP AND THEY HAVE FEELINGS!

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I enjoy all sorts of Roleplay. With that said, I don't like my characters to do everything in the kitchen sink skill-wise. My merchant is going to sell things, my priest is going to write a treatise on his views on the Light, and my Orc bounty hunter is going to look gruff and incredibly imposing as he saunters around the streets of Orgrimmar, searching for a fugitive. I wouldn't describe myself as someone who plays a character that is ready to fight over simple things however, as I see combat as meaningless and boring unless it has real emotions attached to it. I want to fight those bad guys because they effected me mentally, not because they dun' a bad t'ing. I play a lot of tabletop RPGs, so these thoughts haunt me when I'm awake.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

This question is really hard for me to answer. Usually I don't even subscribe my character to a class. When I build the character I often think of who they are and simply pick a class that suits their persona most to me. If I had to pick though, Warrior, because I've always played a Warrior and there's nothing better than good martial combat. Recently, I've been really into Orcs, as they have arguably the richest lore. Beer
Goblins have interested me for a while too, and don't worry, I'm not the type to play that -ANNOYING GOBLIN- (you know the one).

What are your expectations of this server?:

It seems like a great and positive atmosphere full of smart and caring Roleplayers. I'd like to be as helpful as I can here and give advice to other players as far as building out a character's backstory, personality, and style.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

I really, really, -REALLY- like your server's views on language. There are some things that shouldn't be said, truly. I'm a huge advocate of free speech and expression as an artist, but insulting people and using rude words should never be necessary. The last server I was on had a racist and homophobic administrator, so I'm very happy to be leaving there and to join your family! Well, assuming you accept me. Grin2

Oh, and there was something in there about no excessive description of gore. I'll tone it down, it is a trigger for some people but I really like being super descriptive.

Did you know that we have a Mentor Program? It's entirely voluntary and you as a new player can sign up for it right now in your introduction! Are you interested in signing up to be assigned a Mentor? If so, say so here (Please enter at least "Yes" or "No"):

No thanks.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

My Coping Mechanism

It was morning, and it was cold. Not the kind of cold that keeps you indoors, rubbing your hands together and crowding around the space heater. But cold enough to make you suck your cigarette down faster than you would on a crisp Autumn day. My mother recounted to me her emotion about her current employment; both of us inhaling the smelly nicotine fumes quickly but idly. Therapy seems not to be working for her as well as it has for me, and I for once am feeling pretty genuinely happy; at least that's what I think happiness feels like. I wanted to ease her mind, things have been hard since Grandma moved in, so I told her one of my secrets. It's not the deepest secret, the ones that you tell your best friend when you're about to fall asleep drunkenly on their floor. No, this secret isn't even that SECRET, I just haven't though anyone would need the help this secret provides. It's the secret of my coping mechanism.

What I do is, I imagine that I'm in a desert, sun setting and a cool breeze blowing on the back of my neck. In my hand is a thin twine that leads upwards, holding a crimson kite in place. Here I'll dwell, for as long as I need, flying my kite in the desert of my mind. The beauty of the kite is that it's so simple. You do it merely for pleasure, there is no ego to it at all. You do it because you like it, not because you have to or because it gets you anywhere. That is the secret to joy, and I hope it will help her find it like I am.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
I think that's all for me! I did want to say that the register link on your page was broken for me. It'd 404 whenever I tried it, but it eventually worked when I used it on my phone. Eh, no biggie. Thanks for reading my application, and I'm overjoyed to get to know you all!
Throm'ka, potential recruit!

You have taken a tremendous step with this submission! You will receive an 'official' response in due time, but meanwhile you may wish to ensure you've reviewed the following:
  • Rules (Remember, ignorance is no excuse in the case of rule-breaking! Don't make the Peon Overseers lash you with the whip any more than necessary!)
  • Policies (There are some policies that may be rather uncommon, so if you have not yet checked them then spare a moment to do so!)

Some extra reading that may be of use:
Soon, you should receive a reply to your submission from one of the Peon Overseers informing you of whether you are a suitable candidate for Peonship. Be patient! Just review the above information and a response will come before you know it! As an aside, I think Peon Amivul has an... er... 'interesting' ring to it, eh?

Production Title:
Amivul's Very Formal and Quite Wordy Introduction [and the Consequences Precipitated By It]

Secret Peon Processing Plant

Cast:
Elder Zeth'ugram Mok-Gol'rand, currently in Orcish Resources - played by himself.
Gobok, the loyal and efficient peon helper - played by a grunt in a wig.

[Image: screenshot_3003-3.png] < I hope the spirits curse Krotok. To think, a mere overseer relegating I, a veteran of all wars, to such a lowly task...>

[Image: screenshot_550505.png]< Elder! A new peon introductory form has fallen down the chute!>

[Image: screenshot_3003-3.png] < What?! We have enough already. Throw it away and tell them they weren't up to snuff.>

[Image: screenshot_550505.png]< But --- you ought to see this! Really! [Procures a clipboard]>

Amivul Wrote:
I'm pretty impressed that I actually have to write a Formal and Quite Wordy Introduction to actually play on the server.

. . . I don't like my characters to do everything in the kitchen sink skill-wise.

I play a lot of tabletop RPGs . . .

. . . Goblins have interested me for a while . . .

I tend to get super juiced on concepts of the abstract. . .

. . . my Orc bounty hunter

Recently, I've been really into Orcs
. . .arguably the richest lore. . .

[Image: screenshot_3003-3.png] < Incredible! Tell him... Welcome to Conquest of the Horde! And that there's not a biased bone in my body!>

Dramatics aside, welcome! I'm Maulbane, one of the resident Orc and Tauren guys. Below is a copy-pasta that is often more helpful to new members than not, so it's a good idea to give each bundled link at good squizz, at the least - of course, rules and stuff should be gone through with more detail, but your enthusiasm seems to me that you've already done so.

Here'sCotH's rules!
ACotH's policies!
BigA link to the version of WoW we use at CotH!
Bunch You've gotta go here to register your in-game account!
OfA bunch of handy guides on all kinds of stuff!
Links A huge resource for making characters!

In-game you can /join chat and /join barrens to get into our universal chat channels, though LookingForGroup is joined by default.

We also have a Skype group which can be fairly critical in finding RP at times when people aren't actually ingame - to check it out, see here!

Oh, also - don't be afraid to ask anybody with an orange, green or purple name for help if you need it - I'm always open to questions!

Otherwise, nice introduction! I'd be glad to throw you some Orc or Goblin RP; I've recently made a couple of threads revolving around the latter green men which you may find interesting, and I run a non-combat guild based around the traditional Horde as well which is open to Orcs, Trolls and Tauren, primarily.

I appreciate your stance on skills as well; I tend to RP characters with a narrow focus / scope wherein they do what they're good at and, like a lot of people, tend to relegate other stuff to the back of their priorities. That, or simply people who have a distinct purpose that isn't primary pen-and-paper style battling. I like your example of a priest - I have made attempts to create a more aggressive, proselytising member of the Church of the Holy Light, but haven't made much progress on that front.

Regarding gore, most things except stuff that breaks server rules go in private. Feel free to, with consent, go crazy with limbs and guts and whatnot - just as long as it's not in /say, /yell, /emote, et cetera.

Tying in with what I said about small scope, I enjoyed your story for similar reasons. I like stories that are small-scale in terms of what actually happens, and it helps that it felt 'cosy', despite the fact that that probably makes no sense.

Either way, I'm glad you posted an introduction here! I feel like you're gonna be a good addition to the server. As I said in the copy-pasta which is months old by now, I am open to all questions! Throw them at me. I feed off them. It's a kind of compulsion.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that you have a Polyphemus avatar. Good job!
Thanks for being cool and replying so promptly. I thought for a second that your reply was a very misleading way of declining me. Shame on you for getting my heart racing. I do have some questions however.

1. Do I have to make like, a background post for my character before playing them that requires approval?

2. Is there any custom content I should DL before logging in?

3. Does the server have a timeline?

4. Does the server use any RP assisting addons like TRP2?

Other than those, I think we're all good. And I'm not extremely familiar with the Cyclopean myths, but I like the painting a lot and it inspired some stuff for my campaign world I've been building for a while now for tabletop stuff. The artist is Odilon Redon, and he has some really interesting takes on mythological themes if you're into that. (You are probably are.) Oh, and thanks again, looking forward to seeing you around and I'm sure I'd be interested in your guild.
(01-16-2015, 09:33 AM)Amivul Wrote: Thanks for being cool and replying so promptly. I thought for a second that your reply was a very misleading way of declining me. Shame on you for getting my heart racing. I do have some questions however.

1. Do I have to make like, a background post for my character before playing them that requires approval?

2. Is there any custom content I should DL before logging in?

3. Does the server have a timeline?

4. Does the server use any RP assisting addons like TRP2?

Other than those, I think we're all good. And I'm not extremely familiar with the Cyclopean myths, but I like the painting a lot and it inspired some stuff for my campaign world I've been building for a while now for tabletop stuff. The artist is Odilon Redon, and he has some really interesting takes on mythological themes if you're into that. (You are probably are.) Oh, and thanks again, looking forward to seeing you around and I'm sure I'd be interested in your guild.

*Rubber glove thwacking sound*

Right!

No, you don't have to create a profile to play a normal character - which is to say, anything you could create on retail. However, they will be locked to level 60 until you both have an approved profile for them as well as gruntship (which requires a month of activity and at least one approved profile)! Characters with particular power (generally political, but also those of really significant combat prowess, generally on the level of classes like Night Elf Wardens, etc.) as well as characters with custom models are also locked to grunts!

There is no mandatory custom content, but we have custom locations that are dependent on the server's GObject patch, which you can find the download and instructions to here. There's also unofficial WoD models for characters (as the server is set in Cataclysm), but we're not meant to officially endorse them so it'd be awry of me to link them here - however, a player may or may not have posted them in the general discussion subforum!

The server does have a timeline! Here you go!

And, finally - yep, the server generally uses TRP2. At this point, a very small minority do not, so it's accepted as the de facto RP tool but not mandatory or encouraged over anything else (including not using mods at all) by the staff!

Hope I didn't totally miss your questions. It's quite late in Australia.

(01-16-2015, 09:33 AM)Amivul Wrote: The artist is Odilon Redon, and he has some really interesting takes on mythological themes if you're into that. (You are probably are.) Oh, and thanks again, looking forward to seeing you around and I'm sure I'd be interested in your guild.

I may or may not have gone and searched your avatar and read about Redon when I found out it was the cyclops, and may or may not have become pretty darn interested in him. Maybe.
I heard someone was interested in goblins.

I also like goblins.

Make yourself at home on the server.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my formal introduction mrme12 2 530 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Edgar