The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you think?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep them as a CMC
0%
0 0%
Sure, change them to mini-CMC.
100.00%
8 100.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

An inquiry on Steamwarriors
So, I was thinking recently on Steamwarriors, and their Steamsuits. And a problem that I've oft had with playing Steamwarriors is that it's difficult, at least for me, to represent their steamsuit. Now, of course, you can get yourself up in bulky armor and write it in emotes and your TRP, but I know for and a handful of others that such effort doesn't really cut it. It kinda cuts out the imposing and threatening aspect of a steamsuit when it's just a guy in some spiky armor. At least that's my opinion. I know others differ in this, but there it is.

Of course, they could open up a CMC, but if they already have one or if they have plans for one, that's ruined. Plus, I've always imagined that CMCs are supposed to be creatures or construcs of a rare sort, and with all the shredders in Ashenvale and Stonetalon, as well as the machines in Gnomeregan, I can't really see that rarity passing over to Steamsuits.

So, what I would suggest is that Steamsuits are made into mini-CMCs, in the line of Dark Iron & Wildhammer Dwarves where they're completely optional. If one finds it good enough to say in their emotes that they're in a steamsuit, then more power to them. However, if the player in question doesn't really find that enough, then I believe that they should be given an option that requires extra thought into the character, while not pushing steamsuits as something near foreign to Azeroth.

So, what say you, CotH? Do you believe that Steamsuits should be taken down to being an optional mini-CMC, or kept as a CMC as is?
I was thinking neither? Not sure what a mini-CMC is (an instantly-approved CMC?).

There's a lot you can do with armor to make it look like you're wearing something robotic. There's some machine models that can be made to be mounted but that's not really a custom model so much as a custom mount. Some of the robot models also rattle the screen when you walk.

The only downside of using armor for a steam-looking set is that most of them probably require plate, but then again the class is steamwarrior so chances are you'll be using a plate-wearing class.
If they were to become mini-CMC or CMC, the boundary would be that they can't take their suit on and off and have it show in game - it would become a bit awkward as a result. Then again, Steamwarriors have never had it easy when it comes to in game representation and can come off as confusing if people don't have TRP2.

But to answer the question, since said boundary already exists and players who choose to try the CMC route with steamwarriors have to consider it, I don't see why not go for Mini-CMC. It's not a 'subrace' like the rest of them though.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Tried asking for a custom mount, it is hard and it would replace one of existing mounts, or so I was told.

Problem about mounting up or dismounting could be solved via dual boxing or having two characters, one with first name, other with last name or nickname. This way, when in suit, you can use CMC, while without a suit you can use a normal character. Otherwise, you could say that a person has problem controlling his legs or moving around so a suit is required everywhere, I have seen some tauren and other characters who do not go into a tavern but stay outside and pretend they are still getting served drinks and what not. Either way could work, as for second one, it might give a special way of joining a Tavern RP, at least then you will know who of those pixelated people are interested to talk to you, since they have to go outside to talk.

And lastly, there is enough room to have a nice looking set of armor and say it is steam powered, yet it wont have the same... punch like an actual CMC would. On the other hand, since I saw conversation that led up to this happen, I would say all options are valid.

My personal opinion? I would go for mini-CMC, not only it would force my character to react differently but it also would provide something to talk about when you see a giant suit of armor order a milkshake just outside a door of a tavern.

P.S. I want to join what ever steamwarrior group will be made, just drop me a PM, going to make an engineer pilot that specializes in transporting, repairing and arming those suites. A useful person to have around that kind of group, just that he wont have suit of his own.

Edit: Forgot to say, that it isn't like a whole new race so I would say a Mini-CMC could be enough. Otherwise I don't really see a problem with full CMC since never had to make a CMC char before so no idea what is what. Judging from what I do know there aren't that many Steamwarriors that would sell you games for 55% discount on sa... I mean... a Mini-CMC could fit it better, plus heard they are easier to get approved. Suit to a Steamwarrior is like ability to arrest someone for a guard. Why have a guard that can't arrest someone? Or have steamwarrior that can't brag about his steam suit when he is using near by tree as a mace to punch Ogre around.
Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_mw3mwwCGmB1spfzzdo1_250.gif]
Brothers and sisters of NOD, I welcome you to planet C&C.
Perhaps ask for a trinket that has a steamcloud visual and/or mechanical sound effects? Its not as fancy as a different model, but its easier to implement and still acts as a clear audio/visual indicator of a character abnormalcy.
(10-28-2014, 11:30 PM)Dae Wrote: Perhaps ask for a trinket that has a steamcloud visual and/or mechanical sound effects? Its not as fancy as a different model, but its easier to implement and still acts as a clear audio/visual indicator of a character abnormalcy.

This sounds quite nice, actually.
I concur with Dae's point. If that's possible, it sounds like a really good idea.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
(10-28-2014, 11:30 PM)Dae Wrote: Perhaps ask for a trinket that has a steamcloud visual and/or mechanical sound effects? Its not as fancy as a different model, but its easier to implement and still acts as a clear audio/visual indicator of a character abnormalcy.

"Easier to implement" isn't really easy at all. When it comes to editing items on such a level, that's more something for the devs of the core to do rather than Kretol or the GM's. Changing visual appearance or adding items that give you animations is different than one that adds specific sounds.

You'd need sound files, to know the coding specifically to add in those sound files when the trinket is used, and also an understanding of what's happening if say... it doesn't work how you'd like it to.

In other words? Not easy at all.

Edit: Don't confuse this for me puttin' down the idea. I love steam warriors, and I think it'd be great if we could somehow get some visual representation on them. We might have to wait till pandaria comes out and people can get that fancy, fancy mount that's basically a steamsuit. Though, it's a very goblin-esque one it still serves the purpose.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

The preferrable approach in my opinion is to make it an optional mini-CMC option where you have a separate character for the "out of suit" moments, or vice versa. (Like demons do with disguises.) For those that absolutely want to take up their mini-CMC slot with a Steamsuit, that is.
(10-29-2014, 05:24 AM)Harmonic Wrote:

"Easier to implement" isn't really easy at all. When it comes to editing items on such a level, that's more something for the devs of the core to do rather than Kretol or the GM's. Changing visual appearance or adding items that give you animations is different than one that adds specific sounds.

You'd need sound files, to know the coding specifically to add in those sound files when the trinket is used, and also an understanding of what's happening if say... it doesn't work how you'd like it to.

In other words? Not easy at all.

Edit: Don't confuse this for me puttin' down the idea. I love steam warriors, and I think it'd be great if we could somehow get some visual representation on them. We might have to wait till pandaria comes out and people can get that fancy, fancy mount that's basically a steamsuit. Though, it's a very goblin-esque one it still serves the purpose.

I 2as under the impression that a spell effect already existed for a steam visual, though upon a second glance, I'm not sure if it is functional and exists in Cata. I didn't realise that sounds aren't as simple as spell effects/animations, however. Not likely worth the effort then.
(10-29-2014, 05:34 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: The preferrable approach in my opinion is to make it an optional mini-CMC option where you have a separate character for the "out of suit" moments, or vice versa. (Like demons do with disguises.) For those that absolutely want to take up their mini-CMC slot with a Steamsuit, that is.

Exactly. This is just what I was trying to get at.

But I do think that Dae's idea is perhaps a better compromise of ease of access. However, I would like it to somehow address the size disparity that often exists between Steamsuits and their users. For example, this is the size of a 1.0 Goblin female, in comparison to the average shredder. Perhaps, on top of whatever visual we can find, it might be beneficial to add a side-effect to the trinket where the player was scaled up. Of course, it would only be allowed to approved Steamwarriors (bar Draenei and Tauren, as we got the only allow them to get so high), and could vary depending on how tall their suit is compared to their 1.0 model.
(10-29-2014, 05:34 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: The preferrable approach in my opinion is to make it an optional mini-CMC option where you have a separate character for the "out of suit" moments, or vice versa. (Like demons do with disguises.) For those that absolutely want to take up their mini-CMC slot with a Steamsuit, that is.

It might result in some funny naming conventions, but I find this idea more than agreeable tbh. It might depend on the character/player, but I think the non-suited character should have the normal name and the suited character should have the altered one since steamwarriors usually only mount their machines for combat - could use last names or names with an extra letter for them.

I'm not sure there's a steam trinket from what I remember, but I might be wrong. And some people don't play with sound on, so there's that to consider.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
To my knowledge the closest to steam you'd manage for a visual effect would be a radiation/plague cloud, at least out of our current selection. The issue with putting effects on trinkets is that it is difficult for us to know what those effects do. Spells -can- be added to trinkets that give cosmetic visuals, but sometimes these visuals only last briefly, come with an actual spell-effect, or don't work at all or properly on player models.

A good example of issues with player models and the cosmetic trinkets are the uldum mercenary kits- the 'elite' helmet displays correctly on a human male, but when worn by, say, a goblin they have it protruding from their forehead. The matter is that they were never meant to wear them, and so Blizzard just didn't bother setting it up so that they could.

As for sound effects, unless they're expressly tied to another effect we can't add them specifically onto a trinket. It is very unlikely any spell effects are labled to specifically produce a sound, so that would be hard to find and implement as well.

Personally as someone who has had a lot of tech characters I've never found myself wanting a morph. I've made extensive use of pretty much all variations of the diving and rocket helmets and found them to all be serviceable enough when used alongside big 'models' of armor- large shoulderpads, large boots and gloves, etc. There's a few other helms that work nicely in conjuction with them as well.

Comparably the mechanical models are generally not that great; limited animation sets, often loud, possibly shaking the screen, etc. The idea of having to switch out models when changing into the suit also feels rather clunky.

Just my input; if a CMC is really desired I suppose it'd be allowable, but it doesn't seem too ideal.