The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Apprenticeships
You know I thought of this before and then I remembered around now. With all the changes coming I thought it would be a good time to bring it up.

Ok my idea would be a sort of apprentice master, RP teaching sort of thing. Grunts or heros and such experienced players would be able to take on maybe 2 or 3 apprentices at a time. The apprentices would be players who are new to RP and seem nice enough to offer something constructive to the server. The master would plan meetings with his/her apprentices in which they would be able to ask any questions about the server rules and whatnot in which the master would either simply answer their questions or point them in the right direction for their answers.

These meetings would end up in a brief sort of "Practice RP" maybe a drudaen or darkshore encounter with some characters made at the moment. The grunt masters would show the new apprentices how to start these sort of Pick-Up RPs, since newer people normally seem to have trouble finding RP sometimes. It seems like some of the new players get sort of ignored because of their mistakes sometimes or even kicked.

During these "Practice RPs" the apprentices wouldn't be punished for their mistakes simply corrected by their masters. This way we don't have to make anyone unhappy and there would be no angry peoples re-logging and demanding explanation for their kicking. The master would plan maybe five or six of these meetings over the course of a week or two. By the end, the grunts will have the experience and happy feeling of helping new players, and the new players would learn about RP and the server rules.

This may seem a little disorganized here, its just a sort of unrefined idea that I am just throwin' out there. If you don't think it would work out just go head and stop me here.
This sounds roughly akin to what we tried to do with prestige classes; and the main problem with that is TIMING. It is very difficult to get people on at the same time, to rp things. There's persistently missed connections and all sorts of stuff.

Besides, it needn't be complicated. This sort of thing should be going on anyway - if you see a new player, rp with them! Tell them OOC what to read, advise them on what to do and what not to do. And if people are getting kicked, it's not because they're being ignored - it's because they were probably being told what they shouldn't be doing, and just decided to carry on anyway.
Live your own life; you die your own death
I think you misunderstood a lot of what I said, it has nothing to do with specific teaching of how a certain class acts such as the prestige class training. It is more of like teaching CotH RP in general. It appears some people have trouble adjusting to the organization of CotH compared to other RP servers. But anyways, if it doesn't sound nice it doesn't happen.
Maeven Wrote:Besides, it needn't be complicated. This sort of thing should be going on anyway - if you see a new player, rp with them! Tell them OOC what to read, advise them on what to do and what not to do. And if people are getting kicked, it's not because they're being ignored - it's because they were probably being told what they shouldn't be doing, and just decided to carry on anyway.

This is an excellent "mentoring" approach. And really, I think that having new people "adopted" by only one person would really be sort of counter-intuitive to creating a close-knit atmosphere. Really, we'll be looking for people who are fairly experienced in roleplay basics, at the very least.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut