The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Approved Profiles
Since we now have more specific requirements for profiles before the character is approved and leveled, I was thinking of having some off-server way of indicating if the profile has been accepted or not. This would reduce the number of low-level alts or newcomers hanging around, twiddling their thumbs and waiting to attack and ravage the first GM to show up, only to find out that their profile still needs work.

I propose a simple list, similar to the completed tickets or home requests threads. For example:

Qaza: Approved and leveled.

Happyhoppinghunter: Not approved, name violation.

Wallace: Not approved, please expand your description.

Goulma: ANOTHER WARRIOR?!? (Kidding, kidding.)

And etc.

Thoughts? Concerns? ...Cake? *smiles hopefully*
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
*cake.*
I think this would be a really good idea. It would definitly help the GMs keep track.
"I'm not safe for work."
Hmm... I'm reading through profiles at the moment and I have suggestion too. It seems that a lot of people are doing the bare minimum just to get a character approved and now the detailed and quality profiles are getting lost in the mess.

I'd like to see a new thread for character proposals. Something like what Qaza suggested but separate from our "finished" profiles section. People can perhaps propose their character ideas. The proposal would need to prove that this character was a well thought out addition to the community with some understanding of the world in which they are to be a part of. If the character is approved, then the player can work on a detailed and worthwhile profile at their leisure.

Just a thought!
Isebella Drudaen - Merchant, entrepreneur and fire mage.
Drusilla - Shadow Priestess and Mistress of all things sadistic.
In my opinion, just provide a nice clean, hopefully brief, and to the point write-up. If you can get the general idea of a character's background that's all that's really necessary. I feel sometimes people can give too much history and it makes it difficult to fit them into the current world, or even relate to them.

"i am a the Son of Several Gods, my parents were aliens, and I am a large stone statue....<inserts 1,500 word essay..>"

((If he/she/It walks into a tavern..what do you even say RP wise? "...um hey!..hello thar'...lol?"))

((StoneGodDude says, "Son of Alien God Stone Statue glares at you...he is covered in sores.......", he pauses, "Filthy mortal....show me UR liver....k?"))

(((I am jokin' but you get the idea...)))

I only wish people would roll a little more blue collar/less-uber type characters with room to grow as they play through. The world needs more real normal people! I need more drinking buddies/wives/everyday types/whatever!

But even a paragraph of 150 well written words are better then a 1,500 word world spanning essay. I think the rule should be, make sure you give a good general idea of who you are and how you fit into the world, in three complete sentences.

I dislike a writing long dissertations on my past, because it's meta-gamy and if you are curious about my general description, gain my trust by roleplaying(!)and asking me in game! A much, much funner RP-centric alternative as it forces people to seek you out and actually talk to you.

Myself, I rarely like to read character Bios if I can help it. Plus I don't like character design by public consensus. :P
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.
- Mark Twain
As I understand it, the purpose of character proposals and profiles was to reduce the amount of half thought out/ whim characters that were popping up, being leveled, utilizing the GMs time and energy to gear and customize, and then never being played once the novelty of playing dress up with a new toon wore off. I see it happen a ton and they needed to implement some way of ensuring that people were serious about the characters they create. However, I'm still seeing this happen with new characters and feel that perhaps another way of reducing the novelty alts needs to be put into place. People should make as many alts as they want, but if they expect their characters to be leveled by a GM, geared with customs and given 8500 seed money, they should really take some time and be serious about the character they are creating. The reason I suggested a proposal is that I do understand not all people like to do full profiles of their characters right off the bat, for reasons that Dark laid out very well in his post.
Isebella Drudaen - Merchant, entrepreneur and fire mage.
Drusilla - Shadow Priestess and Mistress of all things sadistic.
I am really digging the ideas being thrown around here! Especially the character "concept" thread, as it would allow for feedback. ( For instance: "Waitaminute... If your character is 20 years old, how were they present at the Sundering?" or just "I'm pretty sure you meant "imitate" and not "eviscerate", unless your character has some odd hobbies for a master healer." )
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
I like the three sentence rule, I do think the only person that can make the decision is GM only to avoid allowing strangers nitpicking someone to death publicly.

After tossing around some ideas over a cup of hot chocolate...I came to the realization you really can't do anything else then have a general policy or just making sure new characters post a little something the forums and be done with it. It's one of those unavoidable things as more and more people try out the server.

Until you really know your place in the world you will probably roll a couple characters anyways just to see if it clicks anyways. I think the only thing you can to is possibly make a FAQ to peruse before committing to a concept. Even I tried a couple before I settled down.

The bare minimum I use fo my 'pen and paper' sessions are:

-A three word description, generally answering:
"Where am I from?"
"What do I do in the world?"
"What am I doing currently?"

-Make sure your class and race meshes with your choice.

-Any brief, optional, special faction notes, such as hiring policies, geographic location and the like.

(Note, I don't care too much about the old'DnD alignments, they tend to stereotype characters. Act on your characters own unique motivations! Keep people guessing!)

This is about all you need really to tell a Gm you are semi-cognitive/sober about your design. Just make sure you give everyone a basic idea without giving too much away. This could be done in about a paragraph of text, which should be brief and to the point. Any longer and the GMs will have to take too much time parsing your wonderfully comprehensive and semi-obese history.

=-.^=
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.
- Mark Twain
I think that longer entries are desired because it proves that you've put some thought behind the character. The GMs shouldn't have to level every alt you want to try on for size if you're not going to keep it.

And there's nothing wrong with long histories.
First anyone can write two pages of wonderful sillyness if they are going for length, and I am suggesting this as a minimum, not a maximum.
- Mark Twain
I tend to prefer filling out the form with some thought, and keeping it to what people would reasonably know about my character. I do tend to go longer than three sentences, but I agree, there is a point where it's too much and you're starting to write a novel.

Mrsmarsh had a good point, the goal of any well-written bio lets the GM decide quickly: is this a well-thought-out character? That is the most important goal, because the bios help the GMs weed out the good players from the not-so-good.

Short summaries work too. I like to include a line with roleplaying hooks in my bio, so people can use my characters in their stories easier. Chayne can be used as a 'mercenary', while Shademoon is a 'traveling priestess'.

I guess it's just how I like to play, sometimes I feel writing long family histories and expecting everyone to play a part in *your* story is a bit overbearing at times. I prefer to pick a simple role and become involved with other people's fun. I do make notes on my character's history though, I just don't put it all out there (just enough for the GM to make the good-character call). If people want to learn about my full backstory, we can RP it from there IC.

-Shmoo
Shademoon - Human Priestess, Humanitarian
Chayne - Human Paladin, Tradewind Mercenary

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linked Character Profiles Nation 4 1,200 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Aethon
  Improving wiki profiles? Holynexus 7 1,644 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Regarding special profiles. Adam255 6 1,364 05-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Last Post: BountyHunter
  Profiles mangaboy111 3 849 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Miah
  Pending and/or Approved Profiles and Editing Saintraven 0 553 10-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Last Post: Saintraven