Downloads

[-]
Latest Threads
What is glistening
Last Post: Maulbane
02-17-2020 06:37 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 1757
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: Caravan
01-03-2020 09:57 PM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 83927
Where Are You Now?
Last Post: Sol
11-18-2019 01:39 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 244
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1150
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3286

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Arvod Emericson [Human Paladin]
Player: Jason
Character Full Name: Arvod Emericson
Character In-Game Name: Arvod
Nickname(s): Arv
Association(s): The Church of the Holy Light (Past), The Silver Hand (Past), Stormwind, Valiance Expedition, Gilneas
Race: Human
Class: Paladin
Sex: Male
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 210 lbs
Usual Garments/Armor: Lots of boiled leather, chain mail, and a blue cloak with a surcoat depicting the lion of Stormwind. Brown woolen breeches and a linen doublet. Typically blue.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Personality: Outwardly confident and naturally gregarious, Arvod exudes the bravado expected of a well-to-do knight. Quick to laugh and eager for glory, he is a patriarch of soldiery, something his hardships have been unable to strip from him. This shallow impression is only a facet of his personality, however. Beneath the bluster and banter, a conflicted mind puzzles out the inequities and enigmas of life.

He was once a man of faith, but has since redacted his former beliefs. Now weighed down by doubt, beleaguered by trauma, and beset on all sides by apparent (or perceived) opposition, he has lost his Light and his faith. As such, a confused and melancholic cloud darkens his days and gives his restless nights.

By no means a supremacist nor a fundamentalist, Arvod is greedily curious about the histories and cultures of other sentient beings; especially the draenei and the orcs, for he is fascinated by other worlds. It can be said that his scholarly interests exceed the grasp of his intellect, but his enthusiasm remains untarnished regardless.

History: It was a dark night, almost morning. Outside the confines of the dirty hovel in an unremarkable village, the wind howled and hail laid waste to crops. Amidst the din and chaos, Eliah Emericson, wife to Arcos Emericson, gave birth to a child. His birth was considered a miracle by husband and wife, who had two stillborn children before him. This blessing was accompanied by a curse, however: the storm destroyed the family's crops. Their paltry yield robbed them of nearly all of their income as they were forced to buy their food to survive the winter. Fearful of losing their only surviving child, Eliah and Arcos sent the babe to family in Stormwind.

Aberforth Godfrey, Eliah's half-brother, was a cleric of the Church of the Holy Knight. A taciturn, devout man, he was a stern fatherly hand. Of course, chaste and unmarried, he was unused to the trials of rearing a child, and pushed most duties off to the wet nurse, a kindly spinster whose own children died of illness. Arvod was only two when the orc horde invaded. No doubt his life was saved when Aberforth was called to Northshire Valley, who took the child with him, as Stormwind was summarily sacked and put to the torch some years later, when he was seven years of age. It was at this time that he was serving as an altar boy, lighting candles and delivering messages for his surrogate father.

He remained in isolation as the Second War was waged. Of little use to his uncle Aberforth, he was squired to Clarenth Hornhall, a Paladin recently knighted by the Church of the Holy Light. He was twelve years old. Marked by binary tragedy at birth, he learned of his parent's death some years earlier the day he was made a squire.

At this time, Arvod's zeal was great, and his tempered, quiet nature suited his service well (no doubt thanks to his uncle's white-knuckled parenting). Clarenth went north, joining the rest of the Silver Hand in combating what remained of the Orc forces. After an arduous five years of squiring, he was knighted in a time of peace in his homeland. The ceremony took place in Northshire Abbey. Aberforth did not attend his knighting.

Without a great war to fight, cut his teeth on monsters found in the wilderness and demons propagated by warlocks. Two years of peace were broken as the orcs roused themselves from their stupor and fled the Eastern Kingdoms. He and his fellows were called north once more in response. It was there that the first seeds of doubt were sewn into his mind. As he saw the internment of the orcs there, his faith began to waver. He thought to himself, What justice is this? What compassion is this? He reassured himself that their crimes had more than justified their imprisonment and labor. He did not yet know of their corruption. In Lordaeron they remained for years as a cautionary measure. In any case, his superiors found the move appropriate, as the Silver Hand was firmly rooted in the North. It was then that hell found its way into Azeroth.

The Scourge was born, and the Kingdom of Lordaeron began to fall. Arvod, residing in the Silver Hand's home of Stratholme, was present in the city when Prince Arthas arrived and began culling the population. It was the realization that he and his soldiers were slaughtering citizens for fear of infection that his faith broke. Arthas, a paladin, was committing atrocities that Arvod could not comprehend, and all the while he used the Light to smite those he was sworn to protect. His tenacity was all but drained, and his powers were gone as if they had never existed. Yet he feigned righteous piety and fled the city with Jaina Proudmoore's company.

His company eventually took him across the ocean to Kalimdor, where he battled orcs and the indigenous species, proving himself a veteran of combat and a respected Knight. A lifelong survivor, he avoided a young demise after several defeats at orcish hands before fighting alongside them against the Burning Legion at Mount Hyjal. It was during this battle that it became clear to his brothers that his powers had deserted him, and he was summarily excommunicated from the order. Retaining his knighthood, he was no longer considered a paladin. While this action pained him greatly, he was just as relieved that he no longer had to live a charade.

Peace found him alone in Theramore, where he took up Guard work. Word reached him of an expedition inside the Dark Portal, but his will to fight had left him. His martial skills and combat experience was well-suited for rebuking the many dangers of Dustwallow Marsh, however. On the cusp of a Fourth War with the Horde, conflict was stymied only by the return of the Lich King. Reawakening old demons and reigniting Arvod's passion for retribution (though not his faith, sadly), he took ship back to Stormwind and joined with the Valiance Expedition. Very early in the battle against the native Vrykul of Howling Fjord, Arvod was injured. His broken bones took the better part of a year to mend, and was able to rejoin the fighting when the war was all but complete.

Purposeless, Arvod found himself travelling more oft than not, finding no true place to call home, restless in his quest to satisfy the burning questions that robbed him of his Light and stayed his slumber at night. He was on a ship charting a course for Stormwind, somewhere off the coast of Silverpine Forest. All was calm...until the very world shook, and the seas tossed in turmoil, and dashed the galleon against the cliffs. Amid the tossing waves, unforgiving stones, and stinging hail of a developing northern squall, he found himself ashore in a place of unforgiving cruelty.

Lost in a harrowed land, he made his way through the wilderness barefoot and cold, malnourished and beaten. He was greeted on the sixth day of wandering by the watchful eyes and bared teeth of a pack of worgen. Curling his fists and baring his own teeth, he consigned himself to the grave as a sinner. But alas, the cruel binary nature of his life returned, and his acceptance of sin was met with a miracle - the worgen changed into the forms of men and women. Though he met them with suspicion and fear, they removed his doubts as they fed and clothed him, armed and armored him, and he found new purpose fighting the Forsaken alongside them as they affirmed themselves as members of the Alliance.

The brazen ferocity and sheer horror of their aspect soon became too much for Arvod, however, and he made good his leave while he remained whole and unmarred by the worgen curse or the clutches of the Forsaken. Still wracked by uncertainty, driven by curiosity, and fueled by the basic desire to live, he returned to the life of a drifter, a hedge-knight, a man of his own means...and a shell of his former glory.

((I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I pretty much just sat down and threw this together in about 2 hours and did NOT expect it to get so...extensive. Sorry.))
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason's post:
  • c0rzilla
PM
First of all -

Quote:((I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I pretty much just sat down and threw this together in about 2 hours and did NOT expect it to get so...extensive. Sorry.))

Seriously, don't apologise for this. I like long profiles. And, even if I didn't, it'd be my just desserts for Zeth'ugram.

Okay, so!

We've got a bit of a timeline pickle. Arvod's history has the first war, and the subsequent messing-up of the Kingdom of Stormwind, taking place seven years after his birth - since he's thirty, he would've been born in year 0, which was the beginning of the first war. He's seven years late! As well as that, the second war takes place in year 6, which he'd also just barely miss with that timing. You can have a gander at the numbers here, just in case.

I figure the best way to deal with this is to either regress his age, which would make him older - which may not be ideal, depending on what you want with this character - or just bring the events in line with the timeline and retain his original age, which would probably require some rewriting and altering the nature of his squirehood and upbringing, as Stormwind wouldn't have been repaired until he were 14, and the kingdom itself would be scarcely populated before the end of the second war in year 6.

The exodus of the orcs to Kalimdor happens in year 20, but, by my (admittedly very slow and gloopy) adding up, he's 19 at the time it mentions the event. However, the escape had begun in year 18, so this is really an optional ask that is more grounded in semantics.

Also, just for the sake of making sure -

Quote:Word reached him of an expedition inside the Dark Portal, but his will to fight had left him.
Quote:He was greeted on the sixth day of wandering by the watchful eyes and bared teeth of a pack of worgen.

These two refer to TBC and Cata respectively, right?

Also, on the first sentence of your second paragraph -

Quote:Aberforth Godfrey, Eliah's half-brother, was a cleric of the Church of the Holy Knight.

It's okay. I still have a minefield of stuff like this in my profile, but I did giggle a bit.

Quote:It was during this battle that it became clear to his brothers that his powers had deserted him, and he was summarily excommunicated from the order. Retaining his knighthood, he was no longer considered a paladin.

I asked around to be sure, and we can't have ex-paladins retain the paladin class OOCly. He'll likely simply have to be a warrior, as demeaning as that may be to as regal a fellow as Arvod.

On the more technical side of things, he's currently missing an official scale. You ought to throw one in! At 5'10", he'd likely be at a scale of 0.98 ingame, so you can just fill it with that.

That's all I can find! Thanks for waiting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maulbane's post:
  • Jason
PM
I'm gonna mulligan this character for a while. Can I request a move to the workshop?
PM
You've got it! Watch this! I picked up this trick from a wandering Quilboar shaman.

*waves hands erratically...*

t͟͏̴̶͇̻͖̫̘̩̯̖̹h̖̲̭̬̜͉̬̱̗̩͈͉̙͞r̵͇̯͉͍̦̯̠̜̤͍̰̟͎̫͇͖é̵̡̗̣̱̲͇͇̭̗͈̥̳͍̹͉̖͟ͅá̧̛̟͇̮̝̘͜d̥̮̟̟̀͟͟͞ ̢̤͚̲̪͇͓̮̝̝̻͙̮̯̟͚͖͜͟m̧҉̛̮̭̤͍͙͕̞̲͘͞ǫ̴̵̞̻̥̞͇̹̜̳́͞v҉̦̼̩̦̞̻̤̭̳̳̱͇͕̀ͅe͏͔̼̗̲̠͚̦̗̞͝ ̵̴̗̺̙͓͞ͅń̵̫͈̺̫͎̪̺̯̦̯̦͍ͅo̬̗̥̱̤͢ẁ̸͍̠̼̱̪̪̺̞̮̳̗͝

I have done it, but at what cost...
PM