The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Blizzard trademarks new expac
This expansion made my head hurt. I think I'm just going to give up on lore.

Mechanical wise, I like it. Lore-wise, I don't know any more.
Actually, I think they mentioned about these alternate universes in the books once or twice. There's even an alternate Azeroth where Aedalas Blackmoore rules the EK with an orcish slave army. Or was that time-related from the caverns of time? I forgot.

They really should have introduced the dark portal as a world device earlier. Now everyone's forgotten about them. Heck even Khadgar, the guy who blew up the portal twice has been forgotten.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
(11-10-2013, 06:57 AM)Maulbane Wrote: To actually change the design/shape of the models would mean fixing countless armor textures. It's just not feasible anymore, I'm afraid.

I'm not convinced. I mean by that logic wouldn't it be impossible or not feasible to make a new race?

I just feel like they sort of backed themselves into a corner since they're sort of stuck having to continually improve and change out things that are years old. Guild Wars 2 manages to capture more diversity and options for your characters, male and female, within 5 races while Blizzard may be years away, or maybe never even able to accomplish even that.

I just feel really disappointed in them.
(11-10-2013, 08:25 AM)Wuvvums Wrote:
(11-10-2013, 06:57 AM)Maulbane Wrote: To actually change the design/shape of the models would mean fixing countless armor textures. It's just not feasible anymore, I'm afraid.

I'm not convinced. I mean by that logic wouldn't it be impossible or not feasible to make a new race?

I just feel like they sort of backed themselves into a corner since they're sort of stuck having to continually improve and change out things that are years old. Guild Wars 2 manages to capture more diversity and options for your characters, male and female, within 5 races while Blizzard may be years away, or maybe never even able to accomplish even that.

I just feel really disappointed in them.

Warcraft has always had a very lazy approach to armor models. For example, the reason character models have those large, clumpy Sasquatch feet is because the feet of the character model is the model for just about every boot in the game. The boots you equip is just a texture that they pull over the feet part of the character model.

Most of the armor works this way and if they'd change the character models too much in posture and structure, they'd have to remake countless of armors to not look super awkward.

This is a result of Blizzard backing themselves into a corner, basically. they should have fixed it years ago and it wouldn't have been too much work. At this point it's an immense undertaking and it's just not realistic to expect Blizzard to do it anymore.

Creating a new race is one thing, but having to remake them all for all of the old races would be extremely time consuming. It's like creating the visual aspect of a new race eight times over.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Honestly, they should just make WoW2 with an all new engine and a BIGGER MORE IMMERSIVE WOOOORLD
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
That is true.

WoW is horrendously, terribly outdated when it comes to technical aspects and correcting that through patches is an -immense- undertaking.
Spoiler:
From someone who has made 3D Models:

Sometimes making a whole new thing is easier than trying to edit whats already there. It's not as simple as "whoop, just let me adjust this -one little thing- and now I'm done. Lets repeat this a thousand times for all the armor!". Its more along the lines of: "Alright, I'll move this thing here annnnnd now the whole model is junk." Can't tell you how many times I had to edit something and ended up just starting from scratch because editing what I already had was a nightmare.

A lot of people don't understand how much of a big deal these changes are. They're adding so many new polygons and faces to the models to make the textures work, it means that machines that run the game slow will run them even slower. Half the reasons the models were as they were is because a smaller polygon count would mean faster rendering of the world. In an MMO setting, it's important they render ASAP or it might mess you up, vs a single-player game where loading screens keep you out until everything is properly rendered. It's the difference between loading in normal and loading in to find you've already been killed because your machine didn't render fast enough.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff was lazy, but it worked and worked for a long time. They're working on updated this bit by bit when they can, likely so the change isn't so drastic half their players would need to get a new PC. They likely assume by now they can safely raise the graphics requirement of the game as most base PCs are a lot stronger now then when they first started out.

Edit: Like how they haven't fixed Silvermoon yet. I'm frustrated as all crap that it's still the way it is, but when you see the city from above you can't help but realize the city was made with the assumption -no one- would ever see it from above. It's going to be a nightmare to change and I can understand why it's being put off.
(11-10-2013, 12:22 PM)Reigen Wrote: They're adding so many new polygons and faces to the models to make the textures work, it means that machines that run the game slow will run them even slower. Half the reasons the models were as they were is because a smaller polygon count would mean faster rendering of the world.

To be honest, if you're in 2013 and you have a computer that runs WoW slow on the lowest graphics, you should seriously upgrade.
Shots fired.
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer
Shots hit. Nymus is right.
Spoiler:
(11-10-2013, 12:49 PM)Nymus Wrote:
(11-10-2013, 12:22 PM)Reigen Wrote: They're adding so many new polygons and faces to the models to make the textures work, it means that machines that run the game slow will run them even slower. Half the reasons the models were as they were is because a smaller polygon count would mean faster rendering of the world.

To be honest, if you're in 2013 and you have a computer that runs WoW slow on the lowest graphics, you should seriously upgrade.

[Image: 1344639787752.jpg]

;C
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
@Nymus Not everybody can afford to buy a new PC.

Like I did. HAHA!

Because I'm a filthy rich Scandinavian.

Living in the first-world problem beridden country that I do.

Unfortunately, MMOs and good graphics don't go well together. They have, for a time, been considerate and cared about people with lower-end PCs. Not anymore, it seems.
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
(11-10-2013, 01:57 PM)CappnRob Wrote:
(11-10-2013, 12:49 PM)Nymus Wrote:

~snip~

;C

Seriously, I had a Vostro 200 mini tower (aka piece of crap office computer) that could run WoW easily. And that thing was ~$300.
Models

I actually don't mind this.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
I gotta say, the models were nice, but the animations makes a -world- of difference. And now that cloaks have some actual bones in them, hopefully it means that Draenei won't look like they're wearing plywood capes.
Spoiler:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blizzard favors Horde too much. World of HORDECraft Zvezdichko 91 16,025 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Liamsi
  Blizzard Employees.. No I don't mean snow. TehJarl 4 1,394 06-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Last Post: TehJarl
  The Ballad of Blizzard. Ausius 3 899 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Qaza