The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Blood Elf common knowledge
So what's the deal with Blood Elfs? I've heard some players talk about how they really didn't steal the Light from the naaru, but how it was all something setup by the naaru in order to get the Light to those who need it.

Whatever the truth may be, I find myself in a hard position. Draenei, as a rule, dislike Blood Elfs. But if the server lore is different than regular WoW lore in this regard, the stance of my Draenei paladin may be softened a bit. So my question is this:

What is the common knowledge about Blood Elf's and their paladins? Are they still considered theifs of the Light, or has that changed? I'm not asking to know what's true, only what is believed to be true. If the two are the same, that's great. If not, I just need to know enough to RP it.

Thanks,

-M
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
Server lore-wise, Blood Elf paladins are thieves of the Light. This secret has been leaked out, and many to-the-letter Alliance Paladins hate them for it. Actually, I think even some of the Horde hate them for it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've been picking up in several RPs and from questions of mine answered in the past.
˜★Sketch Blog
I doubt they would have lived down such a reputation so quickly, even if it is no longer true (which I'm not certain of, so I'm looking to another GM to make the official statement). So common knowledge-wise, at the very least their reputation would likely remain tarnished.

However, we have not allowed "Fel elves", and the Sunwell (and the events in the patch that added it) currently remains outside of our lore, so I would figure it's safe to assume Blood Elves are still stealing the Light.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
So do Blood Elves remain theives of the Light, or have found an alternative source? Because if they are theives, and it's common knowledge, I can't imagine they'd sit well with any true Alliance member...or at the very least, the paladins.
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
I don't think they have.
˜★Sketch Blog
This part of the lore is subject to muuuch controversy and discussion. Pre-2.4, I do not think the capture and leeching off of M'uru was known outside of blood elf society, it only came to light when Kael'thas's Felbloods captured him/it and brought him to the Sunwell. On live you can view an event where Lady Liadrin apologizes for their treatment pretty much and the Aldor questions A'lar why she is allowed to even be present in Shattrath.

The controversy is (or was), the naaru being as all-knowing as one is given the impression they are, did they know about M'uru? Given the soundfiles from Sunwell 25man it appears they did know, but let it slide due to some form of a greater good.

Quote:A'dal - M'uru accepted his role long ago, knowing full well what would happen to him. Will you accept your own?
Lady Liadrin - I... I don't understand. You -- and M'uru -- knew all along that this would occur?

I would say on this server, if the word on M'urus capture and continued use to harvest the Light has indeed leaked out to people outside of Blood elf society, that great distrust and in some cases pure hatred would be directed towards them. But I don't think it should be common knowledge, more something a select few would know about. Because honestly I don't see a reason for a Blood elf throwing that information out there to anyone who would listen considering the consequences it would have on people's already controversional views on their race.

Personally I believe M'uru is connected to the Ashbringer, how can be read here:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ashbringer#The_crystal

Hope that helps.
Oh dear. Then poor Mister Anathamus is to be reviviled forever.

I was unawares that 2.4's events were taboo still 7 years after the fact. :p Might need to clean up his RP a bit then in the meanwhile.
Anathamus - Winnowed, Wretched and Shame of the Blood Knights
Commorragh - Death Becomes Her, Shadow Priestess
We may come to a point where we will "advance" to those events, or at least events similar to them. Right now though, we can't keep revising server lore every time a new patch comes out with more story.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Quote:Pre-2.4, I do not think the capture and leeching off of M'uru was known outside of blood elf society,

I beg to differ, Bishnak. On the European Earthen Ring server there was an absolutely massive RP-PvP event in the summer of 07, in which a large Alliance strike force launched an assault against Silvermoon with intent of freeing M'uru. The attack was OOCly predetermined to fail, naturally, but the knowledge of M'uru's imprisonment was attributed to espionage. I'm only using that as an example, though, and I'm definately not saying that this should be part of CoTH's server lore.

The Alliance would probably have been spying on every Horde city at the time, what with a massive war going on between them - so if they were spying on Silvermoon, who's to say that M'uru's imprisonment was not uncovered?

Not common knowledge, of course, but still, not unknown.
As I said, the imprisonment of M'uru was known to (at least) both Velen and A'lar. I cannot say if any other factions conducted espionage and found out as there is no proof of it, I was merely presenting my view on the matter and how I think it should be handled on Conquest.
Simply because a player event happened on one server doesn't make it true on ours. All the spies in the world would not likely make it through the security and warding present where M'uru was held.

Don't forget that the Northern part of the Continent is in peril. Silvermoon is besieged by scourge and has been since the second plague. The alliance and horde have had plenty of other concerns (namely, the survival of the species) to focus on that it could have easily slipped through the cracks.

Having said that.. don't forget the LONG history of humans and high elves. The humans would be well aware that paladin magics are new to the blood elves. This might cause further suspicion of the old allies in our current setting. On the flip side, elven priests were a stable of combat in the third war, so the Light is not unknown to them.

Well many "theories" can be floating around, no one (players) should assume they know about M'uru.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
So the answer is that the PC's don't know where the Blood Elves paladin powers come from. Is that correct, or am I reading that wrong?
This is why in my opinion the server lore to be 7 years ahead of the original wasn't really the best thing to do, due the lots of lore issues, but I understand that as GM's it's hard to wait for more things to happen and you wish to move on with the lore, so no offence.
True, Bishnak, but isn't the point of espionage the fact that nobody could prove it? xD

I was assuming that there would be spywork being done, and although there's no lore that says there was, it seemed like one of those things that went without saying, to me at least. My opinion that there were spies in Silvermoon had nothing to do with the aforementioned RP event, I was just stating what I thought about it and using the event as an example.

I think I read somewhere that the way a Paladin uses the Light and the way a Priest uses it are different, something to do with calling upon it in a Paladin's case rather than sheer faith in that of a priest, but I'm not sure where that's stated - but regardless, if that's the case, seeing a Paladin fighting for the enemy would certainly suspicions in the Alliance. Furthermore, SI7 doesn't really seem to be affected or at least bothered by what's going on.

Whatever, I suppose I'll let it go since it seems irrelevant to the discussion now.
Quote:So the answer is that the PC's don't know where the Blood Elves paladin powers come from. Is that correct, or am I reading that wrong?

That's basically correct. I'm not even sure all of the Blood Elves themselves would know, they tucked the Naaru away where most civilians would not see him.

Quote:I think I read somewhere that the way a Paladin uses the Light and the way a Priest uses it are different, something to do with calling upon it in a Paladin's case rather than sheer faith in that of a priest, but I'm not sure where that's stated

I don't think there's any one location, it's alluded to in a number of areas. But basically, Paladins draw from the Light itself. This does, however, imply that Human and Dwarves are also drawing power from the Naaru, even though they themselves don't know that (they didn't even know that the Naaru existed until after they met the Draenei.)

Priests, meanwhile, are probably more "psionic" than actually magical. Their powers are based solely on their own faith and force of will. The object of their faith is actually irrelevant: a Priest could have faith in the mold that grows from bread left out for too long, and so long as the Priest sincerely believed that this mold held the answers to how one should live his/her life, he/she could perform miracles and melt faces in the mold's name.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Common Misconception about Black Cloth Zenethen 4 4,032 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Vrahn
  How far does WoWUniverse knowledge stretch? Valicor 6 1,194 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Valicor
  A Common Lore Mistake lemmi 9 2,412 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Monolith