The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Thoughts?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Great idea!
57.89%
11 57.89%
Terrible idea!
0%
0 0%
Develop the idea and I'll get back to you.
42.11%
8 42.11%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

But I dont know how to Rp as a <insert epic race here>
So with all the talk of server inactivity I've though of an idea that could spark roleplay AND solve an issue that I often hear about that prevents people from trying new races or dusting off a character idea they have had brewing for a long time.

We've all been there, we looked at a race in wow and went " I want to rp one of those". You make your character and out of fear you would ruin your wonderful idea of how you in-vision your character as the orciest orc, the most trolly troll the most nighty of night elves you realize you don't know jack @#$% about the race. So you shelf the character and make a human. I've done it, we all have done it.

So what can we do about it? I propose we start role-play classes for each race in their respective starting zone. Literally making an environment geared directly for people to learn about the race they want to play as, to develop a character in that race, to make new friends and to get them ready for life in their zone.

Thoughts?

[Image: c36335d73555714146b393bce05c4a74.jpg]

[Image: 1219597_c9f207c53e0656326cf233adf2569bb2.jpg]
(09-21-2013, 06:09 AM)therew Wrote: So you shelf the character and make a Blood Elf. I've done it, we all have done it.

Fixed that for ya!

Anyway, I love the idea. I personally would love to learn more about Draenie.
Sounds like an interesting idea. I've seen a lot of Custom Models for character concepts I haven't really understood or heard of. i.e. Warden, Storm-Forged Dwarf, etc. It'd be good to have some sort of incentive or 'training' to ready yourself ICly about the race/class before going and making it official and public.
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
I'd like to call dibs on the Tauren workshop. If Nikodemos doesn't want it, that is!

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
(09-21-2013, 06:54 AM)Maulbane Wrote: I'd like to call dibs on the Tauren workshop. If Nikodemos doesn't want it, that is!

Nikodemos has been rather busy lately, but I'm certain he would jump at the opportunity to do this! Perhaps the two of you could work together once he returns? :D

Edit: Forgot to mention this the first time around, but the idea sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'd love to help our where ever needed.
(09-21-2013, 06:54 AM)Maulbane Wrote: I'd like to call dibs on the Tauren workshop. If Nikodemos doesn't want it, that is!

Thats the exact thing I want to hear, people who want to help teach these workshops. I don't want them ran by a single person but teams. Or else I would just make one for orcs and tell everyone how I see orcs. I had in mind maybe teams of 3 gm approved teachers for each race. Sign up sheets for the workshops and once the sign up reaches a 5 or so people the classes can run for a week or so enough to get people ready to go, then we drop them off in the capital city of their race. XD

Still a rough idea but, yea keep the feed back coming. Thanks.

I'd say the idea deserves a trial at the very least. Don't necessarily have GMs do them as they're swamped in work as they are and we have plenty of experts on various races in the playerbase that can do it. Some might even volunteer, which would save the GMs the troubles of threatening to close their accounts if they don't do it.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
I've brought up the idea before, though I don't really have the gumption to make it happen: Race/class of the Month.

Imagine if we had something like this going on for a whole month, with the first week of an IC "workshop" as mentioned above, expanding out to other race-related RP locations, then having events and the likes. (along with highlights on articles and guides on the forums for said race) I am totally for an idea like this, and support all the way anyone who wishes to pursue a race workshop!
I love the idea, it will help people think of ideas of different characters and stories if they know the lore behind the race/ class. :D
Dude.
*brofist*
You get a medal for the greatest idea I've realized in a while.

This is a FANTASTIC idea. Especially if it could be divided up into guilds. A guild for each area of the racial starting zones. Yep!
I've personally always wanted to make a Night Elf, a Draenei, and a Gnome, but I don't know nearly enough about the culture, and that scares me away! This would be a great solution to that, and I'm sure it would enrich some new upcoming RP as well!

Total thumbs up from Valicor.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Not to be the party pooper, but I don't think that the server's population is big enough for the upkeep of an active RP environment for every race, especially since there are many races that are rarely played.

However, what I would do myself if I heard somebody was having trouble getting used to a race is try to just...RP with them on a character of the same race (I have a good variety of characters under my belt, so I can do most). It's something those of us with a lot of characters and time could do if we want to help on a more personal level. If you want there to be a guild for every race with a decent amount of activity, there'd need to be enough people on the server who are dedicated to DMing that guild, and enough of those active DMs to cover all of the races. We don't have enough active DMs on the server. During the school year at least.

Sorry for being the party pooper. D:
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Psh Geoni. You only need two people to host an event. A DM and a Participant. I can offer my services for Orcs without any issue. If even just one person would want to learn, I can promise them I shall teach what I can. Though..

Quote:However, what I would do myself if I heard somebody was having trouble getting used to a race is try to just...RP with them on a character of the same race

Why not take people who already exist with characters and invite them in to help the new people. A guild would be a bit much yes, but just because only a handful of people want this it doesn't mean it can't be done. I say push on! I shall do what I can with the races I know!
Why not just write more up-to-date guides? And then you know, people read them and learn and then everyone has a wonderful day.

Though if the "Workshop/Training courses" idea played out well despite the small population these things would be neat to see in action. Everyone could always use a touching up on their lore no matter how firm a grasp they think they have.
Wow. Sometimes I forget the past.
(09-21-2013, 05:37 PM)Geoni Wrote: Not to be the party pooper, but I don't think that the server's population is big enough for the upkeep of an active RP environment for every race, especially since there are many races that are rarely played.

However, what I would do myself if I heard somebody was having trouble getting used to a race is try to just...RP with them on a character of the same race (I have a good variety of characters under my belt, so I can do most). It's something those of us with a lot of characters and time could do if we want to help on a more personal level. If you want there to be a guild for every race with a decent amount of activity, there'd need to be enough people on the server who are dedicated to DMing that guild, and enough of those active DMs to cover all of the races. We don't have enough active DMs on the server. During the school year at least.

Sorry for being the party pooper. D:

You're not being a party pooper. Pointing out problems allows us the chance to address them and think of ways to solve them. So thank you. And here's my response.

Like you I've heard people say they don't know or understand certain races and are afraid to rp them. Multible times in the past I have rped with them and taught them some of the basics but it was never in an environment for teaching them how to roleplay so it often took a considerable amount of time before the player had enough exposure to where they really seemed able to get into the head of their race. OR that uncertainty became a hinderance in the rp area so their character just stood in the back ground kinda quiet because the player was afraid of messing up.

A guild for each race would be overkill to say the least. I was thinking more of a sign up sheet. A simple forum topic that lets people say there's a race they want to learn about. Once it gets to be about 5 or so the team we have arranged to help teach, be they players or gms, would coach them in a starting area of their race that way our little noobies can get some real attention and assistance developing their character.

Now when it comes to the size of the server, this is in part to help the server grow and help develop lasting rp. If done right it could help get the server on the right track.

I think this is a good idea and would love to help where I can(gnomes and forsaken, maybe night elves though bad with their lore). Of course I'd make a new gnome.. don't think Piken is really the teaching and guiding type but Atius would most definitely help other forsaken, newly risen or not. And even if this idea doesn't become an 'official' thing, people are welcome to PM me if they'd like to RP either race. :P

From the phone
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Race Elimination Game 2: Electric Nubaloo Nymus 17 3,156 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Hawk
  Race Elimination Game Nymus 198 20,393 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Altaine
  Where can I find RP for my character? RP activity based on Race/Class Geoni 1 908 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Re-done Race Relation Guide, Preparing for Cata Harmonic 25 4,305 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  New Race Preference? Yau 21 3,739 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: CappnRob