The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

CW : Love it or Hate it?
When I do play Calliope, I constantly have him open for death because... Well, the poor guy just isn't going to get people to understand him any time soon. I like to call it a blanket-CW in which I'd be okay if someone walked up and cut his head off for absolutely no reason other than his being a deader.

I believe that if a character maneuvers him/herself into a particularly egregious position (out of the ordinary annoying), has the chance to leave, then refuses character warnings, they're doing everyone else a disservice.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
They're needed. It's polite to discuss things. Also, it's perfectly ok for your character to act like they're going to totally kill someone, and have that other person flee to fight another day.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
CWs are not only necessary, but polite. They facilitate cooperation to create awesome stories, and prevent any hard feelings. OOC-ly, they ensure there is a formal code of conduct - chivalrous almost - between players over character death/maiming, and IC-ly they add fluidity to the experience, in that once things are settled in the OOC-space, the IC interaction can flow freely.

They're lovely, and an exceptional representation of the reason we have Respect as our #1 rule.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
I don't know how it's changed since I was 24/7 active on here, but in my time character warnings were helpful and a courtesy when done right and an annoyance at best when done wrong. I don't expect much to have changed, really.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Would any of you change anything about the CW if you could?
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Perhaps clarify what "denying" a character warning means. A lot of people seem to think you're not allowed to "deny" it. I always interpreted it as the one given the CW is allowed to find a way around character death, working with the player of the potential killer to find a resolution. Not...just going LOL CAN'T KILL ME and continuing to do whatever stupid thing they're doing.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
When I give CW's I let them know straight up that by continuing said action you will end up with a bullet in the head/skull crushed/beheaded.. The list goes on. If it's denied they change their actions. They don't they've accepted the CW. I don't see any confusion with that.
(10-28-2013, 01:57 PM)Kage Wrote: When I give CW's I let them know straight up that by continuing said action you will end up with a bullet in the head/skull crushed/beheaded.. The list goes on. If it's denied they change their actions. They don't they've accepted the CW. I don't see any confusion with that.

This, really. Can't really elaborate at the moment, but a CW should be a wake up call to the recipient that whatever they're doing (like taunting a bar full of orcs about internment camps) will end up messily if they keep at it. If they want to keep doing that, fine, but that means they accept the consequences. A denial should equate to ceasing their actions or beating a hasty retreat.
There really is no such thing as "denying" the CW. It's a warning. Just stop what you're doing if that's what's giving you the warning and you'll be fine. (That said, continuing despite the CW doesn't mean you surrender. ;) There are always ways around the worst-case scenario.)
Everyone's ultimate opinion on CWs.

Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312EMkURAFw[/youtube]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I personally really dislike Character Warnings for one simple reason - it kills my immersion!
I believe Warcraft is the kind of world and setting where everyone faces the threat of death all the time and it should be a given that anyone you interact with can lash out, with or without sane motivation. I would consider the roleplay of really poor quality if I didn't at least consider that I was entering dangerous grounds, be it a dark dungeon or a touchy line of conversation. Part of life in a world of WAR is the risk of death and mutilation, I shan't need to remember that. To me it doesn't make sense that I should need an OOC notification when someone wants to see me hurt or worse, that should be clearly hinted at through the player already through their RP.

But that doesn't mean I dislike the system because I know there are people that don't roleplay the same way I do. I know some people are extremely protective of their characters and wouldn't allow any drastic changes to their roleplay without having it planned and pondered upon. And I know there are those that just don't pick up these things in RP, be it due to a lacking grasp of English or high traffic in the chat or just not picking up on it this once.

CWs is a necessity to CotH, as a way to give heads up where the current line of roleplay is leading to. It's a good tool for a community when we are on different levels on how much risk we dare put our characters through. But just as Valicor says, I too have felt that the concept or rather function isn't fully understood on the realm.

First off they come as an immersion-breaking interruption to roleplay; if it doesn't spark an OOC discussion it changes the personality and mood of a character without any real IC-motivation. The one who denied the CW becomes meek and avoiding (or worse cocky as if they are immune to injury because they denied it) or the person who accepts turns unrealisticly aggressive for no reason even though it was the other player who issued the warning.

Secondly I get the feeling that some people consider Character Warnings as instant losses, as if that if they accept it they have to become injured or die and it wouldn't apply to the charater who issued it. This is far from wrong because all characters can defend themselves. And a CW -always- goes both ways!

Despite my personal views on this, I still think we better keep it. I would want to remind people that this tool should act like a failsafe to warn everyone in risk of sparking a fight. This doesn't mean that you should enter a roleplay and antagonize others thinking you are safe just because we have this system implemented or join an event fighting... anything that fights back really, that would allow everyone to act like huge behind-holes and never suffer consequences!

I ramble, bôvels tend to do that...
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
(10-28-2013, 06:35 PM)Bovel Wrote: I personally really dislike Character Warnings for one simple reason - it kills my immersion!
I believe Warcraft is the kind of world and setting where everyone faces the threat of death all the time and it should be a given that anyone you interact with can lash out, with or without sane motivation. I would consider the roleplay of really poor quality if I didn't at least consider that I was entering dangerous grounds, be it a dark dungeon or a touchy line of conversation. Part of life in a world of WAR is the risk of death and mutilation, I shan't need to remember that. To me it doesn't make sense that I should need an OOC notification when someone wants to see me hurt or worse, that should be clearly hinted at through the player already through their RP.

But that doesn't mean I dislike the system because I know there are people that don't roleplay the same way I do. I know some people are extremely protective of their characters and wouldn't allow any drastic changes to their roleplay without having it planned and pondered upon. And I know there are those that just don't pick up these things in RP, be it due to a lacking grasp of English or high traffic in the chat or just not picking up on it this once.

CWs is a necessity to CotH, as a way to give heads up where the current line of roleplay is leading to. It's a good tool for a community when we are on different levels on how much risk we dare put our characters through. But just as Valicor says, I too have felt that the concept or rather function isn't fully understood on the realm.

First off they come as an immersion-breaking interruption to roleplay; if it doesn't spark an OOC discussion it changes the personality and mood of a character without any real IC-motivation. The one who denied the CW becomes meek and avoiding (or worse cocky as if they are immune to injury because they denied it) or the person who accepts turns unrealisticly aggressive for no reason even though it was the other player who issued the warning.

Secondly I get the feeling that some people consider Character Warnings as instant losses, as if that if they accept it they have to become injured or die and it wouldn't apply to the charater who issued it. This is far from wrong because all characters can defend themselves. And a CW -always- goes both ways!

Despite my personal views on this, I still think we better keep it. I would want to remind people that this tool should act like a failsafe to warn everyone in risk of sparking a fight. This doesn't mean that you should enter a roleplay and antagonize others thinking you are safe just because we have this system implemented or join an event fighting... anything that fights back really, that would allow everyone to act like huge behind-holes and never suffer consequences!

I ramble, bôvels tend to do that...
I'm not clear if people have been abusing the system like that, but they should not be assuming that denying a CW will mean they can continue doing what they're doing and be safe from serious retribution. To be quite frank, there really shouldn't be any denying, period. Of course, this should also mean that people shouldn't be issuing a CW without a good reason that would cause a character to want to seriously injure/maim/kill another.

Also, it should be noted that a CW does indeed go both ways - it doesn't mean the recipient will be the [only] one that may be injured/maimed/killed.
Personally I tend to shy away from CW's because nine of of ten times the fate of your character will be decided by a random number generator. The CWs makes it more realistic, yes, but the rolling balances that out quite quickly.

In a CW situation I think it's fair to say that both the issuer and the recieving party would be at risk because if A issues a CW to B and they go 'yep, let's do this. My character is too drunk/up himself/pious to deny this.' A and B then duke it out and both of them would have equal chance of dying because if A attacks B, one would assume B is going to fight back.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Well, CWs are given so people don't step outside of a town then suddenly have an arrow in their neck.

[Image: battle+royale+2000.jpeg]

But it is immersion breaking. CW's ruin any attempt at playing an assassin for hire sense you would normally poison a glass of wine x target was about to break, but due to the CW x doesn't drink it and suddenly its a Wile E. Coyote scene as your character fumbles around trying to kill their road runner with many failed attempts.

And on another note, someone who continues to act like a fool with a gun to their head will get shot. I expect to get shot if I do that. Course people who's attitudes change can still be explained. You ever try to joke around with someone who is pissed off? You can't tell their pissed off for a bit so you do x action that pisses them off more, then suddenly you notice how angry they are (Really dark glare, fist forming, figure shaking) and you back off.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I love the community... HazelTheNut 6 1,505 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Vladdy
  Love Languages Ural 15 3,283 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Getting Down: Love and Eroticism in Roleplay Jonoth 44 7,779 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Krent
  "Make love, not warcraft!" A Plea for Positivity. Zarquon 20 3,690 05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Adam255
  What kind of RP do you like/tolerate/hate ? Cepht 25 3,915 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Jason