The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

CW : Love it or Hate it?
Denying a CW... While it's possible to, it requires effort on both sides and a reason as to why to deny it. If no reason other than "I wanna keep this guy alive for (insert reason, faction, guild, etc here)" is given, than a CW should be issued. Of course you wanna keep your character alive but sometimes there are risks. Can't remember (or find where) I read it, but I read that ALL actions IC will have a consequence IC. If you as an Orc go around challenging a NElf Warden accompanied by two hulking Draenei, which by all common sense would end in said Orc's death and you deny a CW without a reasonable explanation or way to escape and just go "POOF! Haha, denying CW, can't kill me!" or even against an Ancient after defiling a Moonwell and killing a Dryad, that goes against all common sense. (These are IC examples of things I have seen.)

My conclusion that CWs are neccesary and shouldn't be denyable if it goes against common sense. If it's just player A going "I want another notch on my belt so I am giving player B a CW" a CW should be denyable. If it's "Player A was a total idiot, jerk, etc to player B and player B is pissed off (IC of course)" than player A shouldn't be able to deny a CW.

Just my two cents.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
(10-29-2013, 09:39 AM)Piken Wrote: -Snip-

Something I've complained about to others is that people can be rather kill-hungry. No one ever just fights to incapacitate/oocly lets the opponent retreat/captures.

And if you are (by some incredibly odd chance) captured, expect extremely awkward torture rp.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Xigo Wrote:No one ever just fights to incapacitate/oocly lets the opponent retreat/captures.

While this is mildly agreeable, I offer a counterstance. From personal experience, I never embarked on a fight (CW or not) with a goal of only killing the other person. My character being a berserker, one who relishes in fighting (and especially victory), I've had my share of fights. Even though Jaedyn used to completely lose himself and only see red and may seem to ICly want to kill the opponent, I OOCly have always stopped myself unless it has been absolutely neccisary to do so.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Valicor has a point there. In this setting there is a lot of kill or be killed. It's a world of war(Craft). To expect everyone to be down with non lethal sparing ICly is.. Foolish. Just cause the guy ICly seems ready to rip your head off doesn't mean the guy OOCly wants another notch in his belt. I've yet to see a single person on this server like that personally, and I've hosted a lot of bash each other events.
I would note here that sparring is inherently non-lethal. That's why it's sparring.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Er.. Fighting then. Dunno why I put sparring.
Yeaaaah. I always kind of tilt my head when people spar with live steel. Death knights/Forsaken I can understand, sure, because what's it gonna do?

As for the living however...that's just plain lethal.

"Hey, let's spar!"

"Okay!"

*one guy brings a Yew blade, other guy brings an axe*

"...I thought we were sparring?

"We are!"

"..."
(10-30-2013, 07:39 AM)Reigen Wrote: Yeaaaah. I always kind of tilt my head when people spar with live steel. Death knights/Forsaken I can understand, sure, because what's it gonna do?

"Hey, let's spar!"

"Okay!"

"We are!"

"..."

Also, guns.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
(10-30-2013, 07:44 AM)Maulbane Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 07:39 AM)Reigen Wrote: Yeaaaah. I always kind of tilt my head when people spar with live steel. Death knights/Forsaken I can understand, sure, because what's it gonna do?

"Hey, let's spar!"

"Okay!"

"We are!"

"..."

Also, guns.

We call those gentlemen's duels, good sir.

[Image: 220px-Yevgeny_Onegin_by_Repin.jpg]
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Valicor Wrote:and may seem to ICly want to kill the opponent, I OOCly have always stopped myself unless it has been absolutely neccisary to do so.

Definitely not subtly drawing the conversation back to topic.

No wait, I definitely am. While it's somewhat annoying and obnoxious for me to repost what I just posted less than a few hours ago, I feel it's good to reemphasize it.
It's good to communicate with the other person to find out what they wish to gain from a roleplay that steers down the road of player versus player conflict. How do they imagine it to end? What is their goal? Are they content with the possibility of their character dying? Do they seek the death of yours? Talk. Converse! Collaborate.

Also, am I the only one who prefers trust to rolls in conflicts where lives are on the line? I can't really imagine doing it any differently. I wouldn't want to be in that situation with a person I didn't trust, after all.
Delta Wrote:Also, am I the only one who prefers trust to rolls in conflicts where lives are on the line? I can't really imagine doing it any differently.

All of my yes, indeed.
I prefer trust to roll in ANY situation.
(10-30-2013, 12:19 PM)Delta Wrote: Also, am I the only one who prefers trust to rolls in conflicts where lives are on the line? I can't really imagine doing it any differently. I wouldn't want to be in that situation with a person I didn't trust, after all.

I much prefer trust to rolls when something that important is on the line. The thing is.. I don't trust many people. :/
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
(10-30-2013, 01:47 PM)Piken Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 12:19 PM)Delta Wrote: Also, am I the only one who prefers trust to rolls in conflicts where lives are on the line? I can't really imagine doing it any differently. I wouldn't want to be in that situation with a person I didn't trust, after all.

I much prefer trust to rolls when something that important is on the line. The thing is.. I don't trust many people. :/

Should try to find more people to trust. I can name several people who wouldn't abuse that trust. Open up!

-Edit-
I mean that to everyone. It seems like no one trusts anyone on this server, and we're quite a small population. It's depressing to think that people don't trust one another when there are only 50 or so people on it. Come on guys, where's the community?

Back on subject. Trust rp. Best way to go for a lot of things. And if after a bit neither player seems to want to go down? Roll for it. Both characters seem to be equal so just roll to see who gets lucky. Cause when two people who are equal go at it, the luckier one wins.
Reviving this thread to once again spark conversation with a question;

In your opinion, is a CW necessary for successful, memorable conflict RP? Even as small-scale as a 1v1 fight, is a CW necessary to make an RP event really involving and important (as far as conflict is concerned)?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I love the community... HazelTheNut 6 1,505 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Vladdy
  Love Languages Ural 15 3,283 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Getting Down: Love and Eroticism in Roleplay Jonoth 44 7,779 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Krent
  "Make love, not warcraft!" A Plea for Positivity. Zarquon 20 3,690 05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Adam255
  What kind of RP do you like/tolerate/hate ? Cepht 25 3,915 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Jason