The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Chat Channel Policing
In short, don't do it.

We do have rules concerning the use of certain chat channels. However, due to the lack of tact, respect, and knowledge that some players have displayed when attempting to get people to use the channels properly, I'm simply going to have to state outright that only GMs can police chat channels. Essentially, do not tell people to move channels. At all. It's not worth it. Let a GM handle it.

Keep in mind that if there's something going on in Chat that you don't want to see, you can always leave Chat. Simple.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Is it ever alright to give advice though as opposed to demands? Like, "You can type in /chat if you wish to chat with others. This channel should be for ____ or _____, etc."
I agree to this news post, one thing that I noticed about people policing, is that they do it at every chance, as if they are trying to show off a little. some people, obviously, do it for the greater good. But some do not.
[Image: irrBWF6YSrv8I.gif]

Spoiler:
  • Tabby - Owner of a Tabby Cat.
  • Dawn - One With The Earth.
  • Simon - Wimpy Nerd.
  • Cory - Bad-Ass.
  • Khrysti - Dumb.
I also want to quickly make an apology here for flipping out in /Chat. Admittedly, people thought it was well said and justified, however I'm mainly apologizing to those who have recently joined the server who had to see that. It is not a regular occurance.

But yes, hopefully this'll reduce the amount of disrespect and condescending attitude we've been seeing a lot of lately in some players.

Traid Wrote:I agree to this news post, one thing that I noticed about people policing, is that they do it at every chance, as if they are trying to show off a little. some people, obviously, do it for the greater good. But some do not.

Not only that, but some even people do it incorrectly! Which I've seen numerous times. It's just plain stupid.

Wuvvums Wrote:Is it ever alright to give advice though as opposed to demands? Like, "You can type in /chat if you wish to chat with others. This channel should be for ____ or _____, etc."

If someone is clearly unfamiliar with the chat channels, then yes, by all means feel free to send them a whisper saying what they're for. Or if you're short on time, just lead them to the chat policies on the Wiki.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
The one thing that worries me is that someone might, unknowingly, say "take it to <x>." and get smacked when they didn't know of this recently added rule. Has this been put on the auto-announce thing?
All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.
What happened?
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Does this also include asking people not to talk about rather offensive things and using rather offensive words?
I don't think I can simply ignore someone being racist, sexist, or just plain horrible and get on with my day as if nothing happened. I'm here to get away from that.
One day we will be allowed to defy logic and reason with our characters.
One day rules will be no more.
One day chaos will reign supreme.
Know that on that day, Illidan and Akama's lovechild will be discovered.
Know that on that day it will be established that male draenei have better child bearing hips.

Gwen'tel: Draenei Paladin. Not too much special.
Rachel Ragefists: Four limbs of gnome flying at your face.
Tsara: It's best not to get into all the things this one is.
Anta: Someone needs a lozenge.
Natalia: A draenei bard with an instrument that doesn't exist for good reasons.
When someone's breaking a rule such as talking about something that shouldn't be talked about, send it to a GM rather than being a vigilante. Sure, it will be a fix, but it is only a quick fix. If it's an extreme case, tell them, and send it to one of the staff.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
I'm actually surprised by this rule. Not sure if anything happened that I missed, but I know this is isn't up for debate but it's odd. I understand people are rude, some come off arrogant I'm sure I've come off arrogant to people saying take it to barrens, or something of the sort.

But I have seen -many- -many- times LFG get a large amount of spam, of people wanting to say the last word and the GM's say nothing. I've seen barrens worthy material discussed in Chat and the GM's say nothing. My point is I rarely see the channels policed by GM's. And It does get quite frustrating when people speak in LFG the channel with the longest name that everyone joins automatically. I'm not telling anybody how to do what they do, but I hope if we can't say anything the GM's start telling people to stfu instantly.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
Most of the time we don't say anything 'cause other people have already responded. Other times we're probably just busy with other things, or even AFK. I know when I'm RPing for example sometimes the chat channels are just invisible to me unless it's particularly slow paced.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I have to say... I agree with this new ruling. I have seen a lot of disrespect of players to other people in the chanels, especially for seemingly innocent mistakes. I have to say, I don't really care what is said in the channels, as long as its... within the rules of decency. There are some things I don't care to see, and when that is the case, I usually log, or quit chat. Anyway. Back to the Capital Wastelands for me, can't wait for Oct 22! Woohoo! Post-Apoc Vegas!!!
In all the time I've roleplayed on Conquest, I took the liberty of leaving the chat channel when it bothered me. The time it would take someone to tell another to leave the channel because it was inconvenient to them, they might as well have /leave'd. All channel problems are swiftly remedied with the command.

Quick question though, how many people are logged into Chat and Barrens at the same time? Two different sets of conversations during peak times looks spammy and I'm wondering if people still do that. (And does it still look spammy having them both up?)
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentle Reminder: Skype & Chat Policies Loxmardin 0 1,684 07-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Barrens Chat IRC Kretol 2 2,011 01-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  IRC Channel Kretol 1 1,078 04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  The Chat Policies/Rules Loxmardin 15 3,641 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Mike
  New FAQ: Chat Qaza 2 1,013 06-15-2008, 07:59 AM