The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Clarification Regarding Multi-Classing and Variants
There has been some misunderstandings and some things I've allowed being taken out of context to try to support other, unrelated ideas, so I want to clarify what I did say and what the official stance is on the issue.

Multiclassing is, and has always been, disallowed on CotH. Now, variants allow a certain amount of flexibility and allows, for lack of a better term, 'dipping' into other ideas in order to make a personal character concept. However, that does not extend to characters that wholesale mesh two concepts. The best way I can explain this is through relevant examples.

- Allowed -
Battle-mage, a mage that trade some skill at ranged magic for better use of a sword. This is simply a reinterpretation of the class, and works so long as one does not infringe on a Warrior's (or Shaman's) iconic abilities (no popping Pally bubbles for you, mages.)

Warrior using archery or guns with some skill. So long as this doesn't go too far into the Hunter's domain (no Arcane Shot, no combat pet use, for example) then this is fine. Nothing stops a Warrior from learning to use a ranged weapon...in fact, they have that ability by default.

Rogue using different sources of magic to explain his default Rogue abilities. This is one that apparently caused confusion, as I've heard "Rogues using the Light!?" a couple times now. For clarification: for non-magic classes, it is acceptable to use different sources of magic to explain the existence of these skills, so long as they do not stretch what the class can already do by default. Using the Light to mimic Cloak of Shadows is fine, for example. Using it to cast a Prayer of Healing while you're playing a Rogue is not. This is of particular interest to Rogues and Hunters, who have quasi-magical abilities, but have little to no default IC explanation for how they do these things. (Also, Rogue using the Light isn't THAT far-fetched. Think "inquisitor" or "witch hunter" archetypes.)

- Not Allowed -
Wholesale meshing of two classes. And remember, variants involve a bit of give and take.

Using one magical class in place of another. If you are a Priest, you should be a Priest. If you are a Mage, you should be a Mage. If your in-game class is Priest, I should not hear about you using arcane magic, or using teleport spells. Note that magic classes in general tend to be more strict with regards to what their magic and abilities can do, as a lot of it is pre-defined by the setting. Note that the policy has always been that you should choose the class that is closest to your chosen character concept. If you are a Warlock, be a Warlock. Don't choose another class for the equipment options.

I'll leave this for now. Feel free to post questions and comments here.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Pooleh stands by the above message.

*Nodnod*
Wait.
I remember being told by Nexi that, as long as a person has a reason for a pet (I.E. a Priestess of the Moon and Frostsaber), they're allowed to have it, and that this pet can be used in combat. Is this multiclassing?
(01-07-2012, 07:13 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Wait.
I remember being told by Nexi that, as long as a person has a reason for a pet (I.E. a Priestess of the Moon and Frostsaber), they're allowed to have it, and that this pet can be used in combat. Is this multiclassing?

This is at least partially an issue with not being able to properly represent the presence of an animal without being a hunter. Having a mount trained for combat use is fine and easily done by anyone. Having the pet as a separate combat entity is more problematic.
Ees gewd pooleh, but I wonder, do we really -have- to play rogues with their abilities (which make little sense to me IC)..and concerning hunters, can we just not have the arcane shot fired by a magically charged gun, or ways to shoot / coat arrows with poison / shoot arrows in the knee / whatever that simply produce the desired effect?

I guess it clarifies a lot, though! :D thank you!
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
(01-08-2012, 06:36 AM)Holynexus Wrote: Ees gewd pooleh, but I wonder, do we really -have- to play rogues with their abilities (which make little sense to me IC)..and concerning hunters, can we just not have the arcane shot fired by a magically charged gun, or ways to shoot / coat arrows with poison / shoot arrows in the knee / whatever that simply produce the desired effect?

I guess it clarifies a lot, though! :D thank you!

You are certainly free to come up with other creative explanations for Hunter/Rogue abilities, or ignore them as you see fit. Some other ways to work with this, aside from knowing magic yourself, is the use of engineering or other tech, or simply a normal shot aimed at a particular location for the desired effect. (That concussive shot is slowing folks down because it's really an arrow to the knee.)
I used to be able to run fast enough to catch you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
He's just a hero
In a long line of heroes
Looking for something
Attractive to save
- Soup Star Joe

Ongoing Personal Projects:
NIL
So we can make "spirit-warriors" and stuff too? Right? To explain some of our warrior's class abilities?

But I was wondering could a warrior gain power from the light, like a form of zealot or just plain ol' crusader with no healing or attack spells. Just amplifying their strikes, causes affects like sunder armor and stuff?
And for both spirit warrior and this light warrior, shouts act as spiritual chants/holy verse, inspiring and slightly magical in their own right?

[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
(01-08-2012, 08:25 AM)Brutalskars Wrote: So we can make "spirit-warriors" and stuff too? Right? To explain some of our warrior's class abilities?

Isn't that a Spirit Champion or a Blademaster?

[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]
Yep-yep yes they are.
Spirit champs/Blademasters are a yes.

As far as Warriors using Light...while I don't see a problem with it, it would raise the question of why this character isn't just a Paladin for simplicity, and how he learned these abilities. It would be an interesting thing to try to pass through the character profiles.
I'll see what I can do. (Starts thinking of http://www.wowpedia.org/Korfax,_Champion_of_the_Light BUHAHAH!!!)
So can I make an Orc Warrior that uses the Light, Grakor?

Spoiler:
[Image: 01.jpg]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(01-08-2012, 09:40 AM)Xigo Wrote: So can I make an Orc Warrior that uses the Light, Grakor?

Spoiler:

Well. There is that one Lighty troll that hides in the Scarlet Monastery...
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(01-08-2012, 10:05 AM)c0rzilla Wrote:
(01-08-2012, 09:40 AM)Xigo Wrote: So can I make an Orc Warrior that uses the Light, Grakor?

Spoiler:

Well. There is that one Lighty troll that hides in the Scarlet Monastery...

There's even a legit Lore character with quite some background behind him in a comic (I don't recall which) that became a priest, I don't remember the exact details but his name had a Z in it or so.. can't recall, my pardon.

However I don't know if an Orc using The Holy Light would be possible, however I know it would be a very big insult to the Spirits.
[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I get some clarification on the character death policy? Dae 3 1,024 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Possibilities and Variants Grakor456 130 20,481 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Reputation Clarification kissintherainxo 1 664 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Piroska
  Multi-passenger mounts? Kenert 11 1,683 07-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Grayl
  A Request for Clarification rentreality 103 16,421 11-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Last Post: Caiden