The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Commenting on profiles
Loathe as I am to rehash this topic, I think it's time to bring it up again now that we've been accepting profiles again for the past two weeks.

Within the last two or three days, I've had four people contact me regarding comments made on their profiles by non-staff members. Last week two or three others messaged me about the same issue. I don't know if any other members of the staff have received similar complaints, but I'd like to see this nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand again as it has in the past. While at times the replies made by players were helpful, these individuals did not want other players commenting on their threads. At least one of these threads was closer to the bottom of the forums than the top and the comment made was about a fairly minor issue; he is not pleased that he was bumped back to the top, especially since the issue wasn't something that would have been commented upon by a GM.

I'd like to remind people that while commenting on profiles may be deemed helpful, not all players welcome your advice, suggestions, or comments. They should not have to edit their own posts to request that only staff members should comment.

If you have advice to give, that is all well and good. However, I am going to request that people consider again if bumping another person's thread is the best way to do so or even if that assistance would be well-received by the original poster. Private messaging them is an option that provides feedback without distressing other players if you absolutely feel the need to do something.

This, of course, does not apply to profiles posted in the Workshop. The vast majority of those exist in order to garner feedback -- even though most of the time they're neglected by the community until they get posted in the Character Profiles subforum. For some odd reason. Nor does it apply to profiles in which the original poster specifically requests feedback.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
I have set permissions so that Grunts (for now while testing) can lock their own topics in the Character Profiles and Initial Approval forums. If someone would like to test that functionality, please feel free to do so and report back here. Don't forget to also ensure you can unlock your own topics as well!
I have tested it out on my post of Dakaz'fon. I have found that yes, the locking works and this would be a very good idea but unlocking the topic is a bit more difficult as I have yet to find out how. Either this or it doesn't work in general.

I don't mind my topic being locked as it was approved pre-restart and it should only need a GM to look at it but being unable to unlock it will be a problem in the future.
I only comment profiles in the workshop. Once they are in initial approval, or in the main profiles forum, they should only be bumped by said thread owner or staff member. Unless there are blatant discrepancies or the profile is really obviously not fit.
Bounty-Hunter Wrote:I have tested it out on my post of Dakaz'fon. I have found that yes, the locking works and this would be a very good idea but unlocking the topic is a bit more difficult as I have yet to find out how. Either this or it doesn't work in general.

I'm not sure if Kretol did this or not, but is there not a little moderator drop-down menu near the bottom of the page?
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I hate to go slighty off topic here as well as double post, but I would like to say something in relation to commenting on profiles.

When a GM asks you to change something, PLEASE actually comment saying that you've changed it and not just say nothing. It will make things much easier for us, and it's just a cheap method of not being sent back to the top of the list.

So yeah, comment on profiles when you change them, please.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Hawk Wrote:When a GM asks you to change something, PLEASE actually comment saying that you've changed it and not just say nothing. It will make things much easier for us, and it's just a cheap method of not being sent back to the top of the list.

I've had a profile commented on. I corrected the necessary things and it was approved immediately afterward. It's unlikely that your profile is completely forgotten about until the next run through, so bear that in mind. Just because a GM found something wrong with it the first time around doesn't mean you're forced to wait another week for an approval.
Hawk Wrote:I'm not sure if Kretol did this or not, but is there not a little moderator drop-down menu near the bottom of the page?
Yes, there was a little drop down menu at the bottom of the page. That is what I used to lock my profile but the problem is it doesn't show while the profile is locked in order for you to unlock it.
Do you see the button where it says "Topic Locked" where the "Post Reply" button normally is? As a GM I can edit and reply to a locked thread and clicking this button actually makes a reply. When I do that, there's a series of small checkmarks on the new page -- including one that says "Lock Topic". If you can get to this page and uncheck it, the thread will be open again.

If you can edit your first (or any!) post, too, you can unlock it that way, too.

Assuming that you have no edits to make while waiting for a staff member to reply, we can just unlock the page when we reply to the thread, allowing you to edit the page if needed.
Once again you make a post regarding something I have also mentioned! I feel proud!

Proud I tell you!
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
Is there any way that the GMs could sort the forum by the date of the original post?
We might be able to, but that wouldn't help us when we reply to a thread requesting changes. It bumps them back up to the top and gives players the opportunity to respond in a timely fashion before we are able to return to their threads.
So how about profiles that are close to the top? Are you alright with any of us posting on those?
I think that it's important to keep in mind that, as I mentioned, not everyone appreciates replies, even if the threads are near the top. At least one of the people who contacted me was near the top, but did not like that a non-staff member had replied.

I remember reading a handful of replies to the last thread stating that people (particularly newer members) were intimidated or put off when comments were made to their threads by people who were not staff. Worse, not all comments made by players are helpful; as noted, as some of the comments made were not even issues that would have concerned the GMs or were just, well, comments about having a good profile.
I am guilty of this, I didn't realize what I was doing was wrong but in hindsight, I can see how it would annoy people and I will keep my comments in the Workshop.
Spoiler:
We're all doomed

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commenting in Character Profiles Loxmardin 61 17,208 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Cataclysm Profiles Kretol 39 8,357 04-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Krilari
  Changes to Special Profiles Loxmardin 14 4,559 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Caravan
  Incomplete and Bad Character Profiles Grakor456 7 2,211 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Miah