The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you want out of Forsaken RP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Social! Exploring their culture and society!
22.64%
12 22.64%
Religious! Priests of Shadow (or Light) gathering together!
15.09%
8 15.09%
War! The forsaken have a storyline for driving out the Alliance!
28.30%
15 28.30%
Political! The Horde is bearing down hard after Wrathgate!
28.30%
15 28.30%
Something else! I'll post in in the thread!
5.66%
3 5.66%
Total 53 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Community Inquiry: Forsaken Role Play and its future on CotH
I keep it no secret that the Forsaken are one of my two favorite races in Warcraft (the other being the Draenei, of course), and over the course of my time here I've always loved the Forsaken RP CotH has provided for me. Hell, I'd even call that RP some of the best I've had, ever.

However, sadly, the heyday of Undead RP is long behind us. Essentially singlehandedly spear-headed by the excellent Black Harvest guild, it sadly died down after @Sol and other important guild leaders got wrapped up in the worries of RL, putting Cataclysm plans for the guild on hold and stagnating.

I attempted to remedy this stagnation of Deader RP myself, with my own guild focusing more on social and religious civilian applications in an attempt to kick start interest in Forsaken RP that held more depth than "KILL ALL BREATHERS", but with limited success. Part of my failure was scheduling and RL, but part of it too I think is I may not be offering RP people -want-. Or I am, but I'm not presenting it correctly.

So, we come to the point of this thread: What do you want out of Forsaken RP? Does the social-political issues of their deathly culture intrigue you? Perhaps their religious views? Or the assimilation of newly raised dead into their society?

Or perhaps you really did just want more of the basic war and conquest from Black Harvest's heyday? Establishing the Forsaken's empire on Lordaeron and all that? Or perhaps you liked both? Or none of these! This topic will have a poll: please vote for what best interests you in forsaken RP, and what you'd like to see out of it. Plus, post in this thread to detail and describe what it is you want to look for in Forsaken RP - and this isn't just Forsaken by themselves! This also applies to Forsaken as a part of the Horde, their relationship with the Orcs occupying their city, the Tauren that seek to cure them, the Blood Elves which they hold close political ties... no race exists in a bubble after all!

Addendum: alongside the sort of RP that appeals to you, how would you suggest we -promote- such RP? I took a jab at Social/Religious RP with the Seminars of Shadow, and while only two events aren't enough to really consider it a "failure" (and I still tend intend to revive the events and keep it going), but it did not result in the boom of Undead RP I was hoping for. Perhaps it was my presentation, perhaps it was time slots, but regardless, something was missing.

How would you promote the sort of RP you're looking for out of Forsaken?
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Forsaken, sadly, is one of my least favorite races in Warcraft (the other being Draenei, of course- It's a Joke). Since I've joined CotH I haven't had much of any opportunities to take apart in any Forsaken RP that's been half decent. I have had my chance to play with an awesome Forsaken RPer though, I cannot remember their forum name or in game name because it's been a while since I've last seen them - Any way, I can't say that I'm really expecting or wanting anything from any Forsaken RP that's to be offered; I will gladly take place in it, as hopefully it's well done.

After revision of my post, I found that it was lackluster- Thus I'm redoing it, derp-a-herp.

Since I've been on CotH I haven't found myself engaged in too much RP revolving, or even consisting of anything relating to the Forsaken race. The opportunity for me to make a Forsaken, or be involved in either type of aforementioned RPing hasn't popped up too frequently; and the one time it did... Let me just sum it up with one word, ibuprofen. While Forsaken really is my least favorite race in WoW, I'd love to find a welcoming community in which I can actually give it a half-decent go with consistent RP for that character other than walking into a tavern.

Now we come to point of my response; what do I want out of Forsaken RP?

I know very little of their lore, I know very little about Forsaken in general, and I'm going to have to do a ton of research before a can give any definitive answer on what exactly I want from Forsaken RP- But the general answer, as always, will be the same if you were to ask me what I would want from Gnome RP (my favorite WoW Race). I want an opportunity to create a Forsaken, find myself with people who understand that I'm not the best with that race, and give me the opportunity to play a character with a consistent story line. I want to find myself given the chance to play a Forsaken, understand their race, and develop a character, my knowledge, etc. Through RP- Honestly that's the only thing I could ask for, it's decent RP. I don't care what path you decide to take, whether it be political, war, blood and gore, religious, or adventure, so long as effort is put forth then I'd be keen on trying my hand and putting forth effort as well.
Spoiler:
[Image: 8Mh5ajm.jpg]
I always felt the forsaken fall a little flat in 'casual' or 'down-time' roleplay.

Sure, there'll be them as disagree with me, but it always seemed... Forsaken have no excuse not to be busy all the time. And what most Forsaken are busy doing these days (During Cataclysm) is purging the living from the face of Azeroth.

So I voted War.

What is it good for?

Forsaken roleplay, I bet.
I think that we should go with what was successful; Black Harvest's kinda war-outlook. That, of course, could splinter off into everything else; culture, of course, would come naturally, as long as the after RP is there. We could have a rather devout Shadow Priest come and preach after/before battle, which could bring in the religious spectrum. Political could be done with maybe any other races joining the Guild, having either JV or Mathias's Kor'kron be a bit overbearing, etc. Ultimately, I just think that war would be the best starter for everything else.

Here's to hopin' this goes through! I'd love to start some guild on Ydir, but I don't think I know enough about the Forsaken to feel comfortable about it.
Hey, CotH. I've missed you guys.

I'm really happy that you've posted this, Rob. I'm not around much any more, but it warms my cold, rotten heart to see that folks are still willing to throw us deaders a bone and open a discussion about this. but do you have to draw attention to my tacky old draft I mean seriously all the image links have deleted themselves it looks so ugly QQ

Here's a theory: everyone likes having one or two bitter, antisocial or downright evil characters, because folks like exploring different sorts of roleplay in their off-time. This is why we have alts, after all. Unsurprisingly, the unique racial characteristics of the Forsaken make it very easy to fit an undead character into this broad sort of archetype, which means that the PC Forsaken population can get a little swollen with moody, standoffish brats. :P Guilty as charged, but these sorts of characters are not generally conducive to passive or social roleplays, for obvious reasons. Back in BH, trying to keep a bunch of them happy and occupied in the same room was like herding cats. In my own experience, Forsaken roleplay is at its best when there's an enemy to conquer -- be it literal and physical, or something more abstract -- and charged with undertones of conflict. They're a race defined by their struggles.

But despite how you described the Black Harvest as being defined by 'basic war and conquest', what I was really trying to pull off with its storyline was some soul-searching for the Forsaken race as a whole for identity and meaning. My fondest memories from the guild involve helping a young paladin come to terms with his mother's (un)death, a man trying to forge himself into a leader worth following under the mentorship of two priests, and Jared grappling with the impending loss of one of his oldest and dearest friends to the Mindless State.

. . . That being said, it was so much easier to get things (like what I've just been gooily nostalgising over) rolling in the first place with regular fighty events to frame them around and a few well-placed shouts of THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE QUEEN. RP on CotH has always been pretty event-driven anyway, and being loud and proud and aggressive is a surefire way to get people's attention.

The Forsaken have spent ten years with their back to a wall in a world that despises and reviles them. Now they're finally forcing their way out of the corner, and they're not about to concede any of the ground they've gained without a vicious, terrible fight. War's their natural state, I'd say, even more so than for orcs and trolls. I'm not up to date on the sort of Forsaken characters out there on CotH today, but two years ago we DMed an event with twenty-five deaders in it at the same time because we gave them something to kill.

It might sound simplistic (and I voted for everything, because I know the capacity for rich and varied Forsaken roleplay is there), but militaristic, bloodthirsty roleplay is probably the best way forward. It's the best way to bring deaders together in the first place, and once it's got some momentum, it can be used as a springboard for anything and everything else.

Godspeed. I hope to get involved in some capacity with whatever gets off the ground. I think even if I was able to drop back in and commit to CotH again full-time, the moment for rebooting BH and the Dreadmarch has sort of passed, but I'm thrilled by the idea of Forsaken RP rising from the grave once again. There are so many untapped ideas just in the handful of posts we have here so far that have real potential if people wanna make them happen.
These are all good posts!

Please, please, if you vote, do post and elaborate your thoughts! Thank you!
I'll just be short and to the point and say that I voted for the top four choices because Forsaken are all of those things put together and that's what makes them appealing, not just one of them isolated.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
I voted for social, war, and political because I think the three could tie in nicely, but what I'm really after is the social aspect. Like Sol said, it isn't very often that you get a coherent group of Forsaken that can come together and actual get some RP done. It's so easy to slip in the stereotypical angst ridden, quiet, hate fueled undead that most people do. Yet that isn't conducive for RP at all... I'm not sure how you can go about fixing that as an individual, but it's really the main barrier to Forsaken RP imo.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
My main issue with RPing the forsaken is I can't really get into the fanaticism most are played as. My sole forsaken just doesn't fit with that kina RP nor do I really enjoy it. War and combat do not interest me what so ever to be fully honest. I don't really like combat events and don't take part in them for the most part. [Yes, I run them, but that's because I'm kept busy instead of alt-tabbing out.]

I would really rather have their social aspect explored over any other option. Forsaken that come together for reasons other than being full of angst, hating everyone else and yelling about death to the living. Until I see rp for the race other than that...I really have no want nor will to advocate for the race or play my non-combat forsaken. What's the point for me if I'm just going to be shut out or ganged up on for not being 'loyal' enough or warmongering enough?

My two cents.
Let me post an addendum: alongside the sort of RP that appeals to you, how would you suggest we -promote- such RP? I took a jab at Social/Religious RP with the Seminars of Shadow, and while only two events aren't enough to really consider it a "failure" (and I still tend intend to revive the events and keep it going), but it did not result in the boom of Undead RP I was hoping for. Perhaps it was my presentation, perhaps it was time slots, but regardless, something was missing.

How would you promote the sort of RP you're looking for out of Forsaken?
I can't add much input here, because honestly all I'm looking for is some place and a chance for some Forsaken RP or something of the sorts. Just my input, even if it is bad.
Spoiler:
[Image: 8Mh5ajm.jpg]
I think labeling something as strictly religious will be a turn off for most people. It doesn't seem particularly inviting to the average character, so even if an event has let's just say political leanings to use an option from the poll, you might not want to call it a political event. Just let people know you're doing an event at a certain time and place, with a general idea of what might happen. In that same vein, try and mix at least two of the topics in the poll into one event. It'll be much more appealing to a wider audience if people that want political events and people that want social or war events can both come to the event and know they're getting what they're after.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
In my mind, Horde RP has always had two major problems with it, and Forsaken RP from the Black Harvest days are not excluded from this.

The first problem is that Horde RP is almost always military-focused. Most Horde guilds ended up being heavily military focused, and combat-combat-combat is fun in limited doses, but after a while it loses its charm without something to really keep it different and interesting. Only the Earthworks (now defunct) and the old Belf RP back in the day really offered a truly social experience for Horde RP.

The second problem is its exclusivity. Horde RP tends to come in racial flavors. While this can also be true for the Alliance, it's worse for Horde because Horde RPers/characters tend to segregate themselves based on race. It's either Forsaken RP, Belf RP, or Old Horde RP, never truly mixed, and those outside of the flavor of the given RP are typically shunned or just given nothing to work with. This has been one of the leading killers of guilds for the Horde, IMO. If you only take a third of the Horde population, especially in today's relatively low-population CotH, you're going to fail.

To that end, if you're hoping for a grand renaissance where everyone is running around as a deader, you're probably going to be disappointed. That's why, while I say social and political RP are important, the biggest qualifier here is inclusiveness. Even if it focuses on Forsaken culture, do something that can also draw in other Horde races and even gives them something to do. Thankfully, Cataclysm has made this easier than ever story-wise, as the Horde races have been mixing troops and lending support to one another in ways that hadn't been done prior.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Quote:Political could be done with maybe any other races joining the Guild, having either JV or Mathias's Kor'kron be a bit overbearing, etc.

Caaaan do!
(07-27-2014, 06:33 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: The first problem is that Horde RP is almost always military-focused.

I'm too tired to write out an actual post, but I just do kinda disagree with this small bit. I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem. After all, when I think of successful guilds on CotH, I think of Black Harvest, Bloodsworn Honorguard, the Frostbrand (or whatever Clovis's ship was named), the Argent Crusade and Heretic Circus. Two of those were Horde focused military guilds (in fact, all but one have been primarily military, and even the one that wasn't had good amounts of fighting), and have been some of the longest-lasting, most successful guilds that I've at least heard about in my time at CotH. Sure, it can be tiring in large amounts, but so can everything -- social RP only is dull, as is only war RP. The entire thing's about balance, and I think that it being military-focused does not mean that it won't be able to handle a necessary amount of social RP.

EDIT; I do want to clarify that I am not disagreeing with you. However, I merely believe that Horde military RP can often be a good springboard into other types of Horde RP, and thus not quite be a problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Future of CoTH Harmonic 17 9,836 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Community Inquiry II: Custom Spell for Special Classes CappnRob 17 7,091 08-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Grakor456
  My community Kirabo 2 997 06-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Altaine
  Future expansions joeker917 7 1,443 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel