The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Would you like to see special classes with unique spells if possible?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
70.59%
12 70.59%
No!
23.53%
4 23.53%
Maybe! (Explain below!)
5.88%
1 5.88%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Community Inquiry II: Custom Spell for Special Classes
So, in general CotH's profile system allows us to play a variety of variations on the default classes provided in the game. This of course includes a myriad of canon classes that never really fit into the in-game's standard selections, such as Steamwarriors or Lightslayers.

However, a notable few selection of canon classes simply don't truly fit into -ANY- class designation, either through old game design, or being unable to distill their race's lore into the game's base classes. Most notorious of these are primarily Night Elf heroes such as the Priestess of the Moon (a tiger-riding Hunter who heals), Warden (a rogue in plate armor that -blinks-), Demon Hunter (a warlock that fights hand to hand like a rogue), as well as few others like Necromancer (frost mages with unholy magic? maybe?).

Now while the in game spell book is just for bells and whistles, it has always been fun to use whatever is available to spice up RP and give a little more oomph to spells and abilities. Back in the days of the prestiege classes, prestiege classes had access to unique spells added by I believe @"Kretol" ? I do not remember exactly, but I do recall when Thragash was a runemaster, he had some unique spell effects.

So what is this discussion about? I say perhaps these super-special classes (most of which are special profiles anyway) get access to a modfied spellbook that permits them to use their signature spells in game for enhancing RP flavor. What spells they would get would need to be decided upon by the staff, but I've a general idea down below:

Priestess of the Moon: Hunter base class, add Starfall from Druid and a few base healing spells from Priest.

Warden: Warrior base class, Add fan of Knives and Blink. Unsure if there's anything to replicate Spirit of Vengeance. (Alternatively, use Rogue as the Base Class and give them access to Plate Armor?)

Demon Hunter: Rogue base class, Add Metamorphosis from Warlock, as well as that one self-damage fire spell which name eludes me at the moment, and Mana Burn from Priests.

Necromancer: Mage base class. Raise Dead and Army of the Dead from Death Knights, maybe other unholy spells? Dunno.

Shadow Hunter: Hunter base class with Hex and totems? Or perhaps a special shaman that can use ranged weapons.

... that's all I've got on mind for now. Anyway, what does everyone else think? Would you all like specialized classes to have unique spells given to them via a special profile system of some sort? What I listed are just examples I made off the top of my head; obviously if this were ever implemented it would be much more refined and have a definitive list of what special classes can and can not do.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I do not think physical spells need to be added to a character for the spells to be replicated in RP, more often than not they aren't anyway when it comes to single target spells. Really, this can all be solved with imagination over needing altered spellbooks.

Not to mention spells might conflict with how a class casts. Army of the dead/raise dead might require rune power, but mages don't have that. Hunters don't have mana, so they couldn't use healing or druid spells.
I know that if your class doesn't have mana (or any other resource), the spell can still be cast. The spell cost just becomes 0.
I honestly don't see the point; I rarely use any spells from my spellbooks to begin with. The visual is often clumsy or unfitting and I'd rather write it out. The only exception I got to that is Sarevere who's using cloak of shadows to visualize her arrival but that's it for me personally.

So yeah, seems a lot of work with little gain from my perspective.
(08-20-2014, 01:40 PM)Scout Wrote: I know that if your class doesn't have mana (or any other resource), the spell can still be cast. The spell cost just becomes 0.

It depends on the spell. This is true for a number of spells possessed by the player classes because their mana cost is set as a particular percentage of their base mana total (which, for non-mana classes, would be a percentage of zero.) I believe this doesn't hold true for a number of NPC spells, though.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
A bit selfishly, I always wanted the druid spell that makes the Druid spell with the storm visual on Dunkhaan, since it comes off a bit shaman-like to me and he focuses on storms and storm-related spells.

That said, I still think in many instances some of the classes are covered.

Some suggestions below for the classes mentioned in the mean time.

(08-20-2014, 01:21 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Priestess of the Moon: Hunter base class, add Starfall from Druid and a few base healing spells from Priest.

I admittedly know very little about them, but from what I see based on the WCIII unit, I'd go with Druid or Priest and one of the RP bow weapons that have a staff base.

(08-20-2014, 01:21 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Warden: Warrior base class, Add fan of Knives and Blink. Unsure if there's anything to replicate Spirit of Vengeance. (Alternatively, use Rogue as the Base Class and give them access to Plate Armor?)

I always thought Rogue fit the Wardens better, and there are some elaborate leather outfits that still give that plate feel to them. Also, I believe one of the Rogue spells allows a teleport behind a target, which isn't exactly Blink, but can stand in for it. I think depending on the warden's personality, Warrior/Hunter/Rogue all fit as potential classes, and I think the variety would actually make the class more interesting to see in RP.

(08-20-2014, 01:21 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Demon Hunter: Rogue base class, Add Metamorphosis from Warlock, as well as that one self-damage fire spell which name eludes me at the moment, and Mana Burn from Priests.

Demon Hunters are disallowed Metamorphosis at this time if I remember correctly. And I think there is a potion that does the fire spell that should have it covered (I think there is a trinket too, but I forget the name).

(08-20-2014, 01:21 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Necromancer: Mage base class. Raise Dead and Army of the Dead from Death Knights, maybe other unholy spells? Dunno.

These guys can definitely use some custom spells, especially with the class limitation. Their whole point is to summon dead, so I think having any spell/trinket that allows for at least a minion would be nice. That or open up the class to allow Death Knight as a base for it. In the mean time, best bet is to either use the water elemental and say it's a corpse, or just straight up imagination.

(08-20-2014, 01:21 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Shadow Hunter: Hunter base class with Hex and totems? Or perhaps a special shaman that can use ranged weapons.

While you wouldn't be able to shoot with them, I believe there are RP bows on GMI that are staff-based that Shaman could use. What I would like to see is something like a custom ghost serpent form like when the alternative wolf form was made for wolves.

That's all I got! I'm very in favor of the custom spells if plausible/agreed upon, but I think most can be covered by the base classes.
Worth noting that as of this post most DK spells and many talents are broken and Raise Dead definitely does not work. Don't get your hopes up too much until emulator problems are solved.
Well, I don't really see spell visuals used too much either.
However, I do see the casting emotes used more; I actually used the hearthstone on my Druid for a nature spell effect.
If we could give A trinket that would give one's hands a spell casting look, that combined with a crafting or casting emote trinket would probably cover us pretty well.

That being said, for Necromancers, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that they be rolled as Hunters and have some undead be tamable. I mean, yes, mage is more suiting, but Necromancers really should be able to function as a pet class, and the options for pets that the hunter class gives is just unbeatable.
It would require a bit of trust to ensure they wouldn't abuse the weapon/armor compatibility, but it would have the most RP functionality in my book.
(08-20-2014, 10:32 PM)Jonoth Wrote: These guys can definitely use some custom spells, especially with the class limitation. Their whole point is to summon dead, so I think having any spell/trinket that allows for at least a minion would be nice. That or open up the class to allow Death Knight as a base for it. In the mean time, best bet is to either use the water elemental and say it's a corpse, or just straight up imagination.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=13353/book-of-the-dead
http://www.wowhead.com/item=65923/barov-servant-caller
http://www.wowhead.com/item=64881
http://www.wowhead.com/item=65176

I -believe- that we can edit the cooldowns of those spells if we make custom trinkets for them, but @Kretol would need to verify that.
Ohh the first one with the skeleton and the scarab one sound awesome!
This is what the effect of http://www.wowhead.com/item=64881 looks like, for those who don't know.

[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Quote:Demon Hunters are disallowed Metamorphosis at this time if I remember correctly. And I think there is a potion that does the fire spell that should have it covered (I think there is a trinket too, but I forget the name).

Can someone confirm/deny this? It doesn't strike me as making much sense given Warlocks can do it, and it was the Demon Hunter's definitive move first.... but eh, off topic.

On topic: those trinket books are cool! Could we just ask for whichever ones we needed during profile creation? (Like it is done with CMCs?)
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Having the visuals for the spells is always nice, and some of you might know I'd kill for some skeletal minion 'pets' for my necromancer, but I agree with Reigen. Most people don't use the physical spells and just represent them through emotes. Except for adding plate to priests for PotM and Wardens, and other special cases like that, I don't think it's exactly necessary. Maybe just be more open to the idea of breaking strict in-game class boundaries with the variant system as long as there's a lore basis for it.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Confirming demon hunters are not allowed to use metamorphosis.
(08-22-2014, 08:36 AM)CappnRob Wrote: On topic: those trinket books are cool! Could we just ask for whichever ones we needed during profile creation? (Like it is done with CMCs?)

Not the best person to ask, but I believe usually we don't give out items. If we feel it's beneficial to RP, we put them up on vendors to they're freely acquirable. That may change, though, it's up to the discretion of the Overseers and Kretol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Community Inquiry: Forsaken Role Play and its future on CotH CappnRob 22 5,056 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Reigen
  My community Kirabo 2 997 06-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Altaine
  [CotH-aluation] The Community Loxmardin 18 4,748 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Last Post: KomodoTheCashew
  Feedback/Questions re: Custom-model characters/NPCs Kretol 50 9,896 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Dae