FAQs
Events Calendar
Downloads
User Map
IRC Chat
Voicechat Status

[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Kreets

[-]
Latest Threads
"Is the CotH Forum Still Up...?"
Last Post: Touchseed
09-06-2017 07:11 AM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 36500
RL Picture thread #2 (No vulgar this time around...
Last Post: Stealthscout
01-24-2017 02:42 PM
» Replies: 2491
» Views: 96860
Bingles' Feedback Thread
Last Post: Aethon
01-19-2017 01:32 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 39827
Sultanofswing29`s Introduction
Last Post: Sultanofswing29
09-18-2016 08:19 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 31360
Zyga21
Last Post: Maulbane
09-14-2016 07:32 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 25383

[-]
Who's On-line
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Computer Melting!
Well, it hasn't quite melted yet. But some of you may be aware that I've been complaining about framerate issues lately. I finally figured out that the cause of this is, quite simply, my computer is running too hot. Even with the fans on the highest setting, it gets hot enough that the framerate slowly gets worse and worse, until finally it starts fluctuating between 10 and 30 frames per second, which is ugly, and annoying because it's not consistent at all. It just kind of cycles from high to low. (As a reference, when my computer is running cool, framerate is between 55 and 60 FPS.)

I found that putting my computer on an ice pack helped for a little while, but it's not a long-term solution by any means, nor is it efficient. So I come to you, CotH, for help. How can I keep my laptop's internal temperature from getting up to the point where it starts affecting how well it runs? I have a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics card.

[Image: 15-inch-macbook-pro.jpg]
There's the option of taking in to the Apple Store. I have the same model as you and I haven't had any problems. There might be an issue with the hardware. So long as the warranty's still up you should be able to get a free repair or a new computer all together.
PM
Okay, I figured out how to do it. Capping my framerate seems to keep my temperature down. Silly laptops with silly, inferior cooling systems.
Scout Wrote:Okay, I figured out how to do it. Capping my framerate seems to keep my temperature down. Silly laptops with silly, inferior cooling systems.

Having the same problems :/
So Ivan say to me "Who was talking device then?"

And then Sergei say "But Ivan is dead"

That is when I realize Sergei was bear.
PM
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my Windows laptop is!

Seriously though, I'd suggest taking it in to the nearest Apple store. The worst that could happen is having to wait a few days for repairs. Although, by the sounds of it, it's your graphics card which is playing up.
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
PM
Every laptop I have ever had eventually ran into a cooling problem which is why after all these years I finally went back to having a desktop. Not that that helps, but you should probably look into the warranty and see if there was something defective with it.
My laptop isn't that old though, so I kind of think that perhaps it's just a faulty design. In any case, keeping the fan on max, capping my framerate and putting the laptop on a hard surface keeps the temperature reasonable, so I should be fine for now. I'm going to look into a external fan.
You're using a Macintosh.
There's your problem.
Lolol, accursed Macs! Windows to the rescue!
PM
Wolohoo Wrote:You're using a Macintosh.
There's your problem.
Lolol, accursed Macs! Windows to the rescue!
This.
I AM THE SCOUT
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
PM
Actually, that's probably true, because Apple is like "quieter fans are totally better than effective ones!"

However, this doesn't stop me from lurving my MacBook Pro to death.
Scout Wrote:Actually, that's probably true, because Apple is like "quieter fans are totally better than effective ones!"

However, this doesn't stop me from lurving my MacBook Pro to death.
Howsabouts just building your own laptop with PROPER cooling/etc, and just install OS X on that. There's an x86 OS X abouts. Hell, I've got it installed on my portable!

I might quickly boot up VMWare now and screw around in eet. :B
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
PM
My dad would get pissed that he paid for half of a $2,250 laptop and then I tossed it aside after not even a year of use. Besides, I lurvs it. Sooo.

scoutnub is nub
Still, games are more system intensive than a photo or video editing tool will ever be, and Macs were never designed with games in mind. You could go to the store, but what would they do? The fans are doing all they can.

You either need a laptop with proper fans, or a stationary PC that can handle that kind of thing. Preferably a self-built one so you can add or subtract all the fans you want.

If that is impossible, I reckon you just have to keep making ice cubes :wink:
PM
My laptop also had heating problems for a long time. Eventually, I got sick of the overheating, and went to Antarctica to find the legendary Temple of The 6000 Headed UFO. Once there, I had to battle fire demons who were chilling there in order to gain access to the Sacred Chamber of the Eternal Flame of Ice. I took a piece of the Ice Shard of a Billion Tears, and infused it into my laptop.

I have not had any problems with overheating since.

However, access to the Temple is granted once every one hundred years or so, so while you wait for the 22nd century to come around, you can buy this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?h...DwQ8wIwAQ#.

Or something like it.
Pain is an illusion.
PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judge these computer specs Jason 8 228 12-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Jason
  Husband offers new computer? I think so. Cressy 23 806 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Need a computer smart person, new hard drive Jeff 2 252 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Daggermouth
  Computer viruses. /facepalm Azheron 5 254 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM