The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Concerning RP-fights
I've been doing roleplay for over a month now and theres one thing that bugss me, a lot. As everyone knows during RP-fights the two opponents decide on a common HP (usually 5,6 or 8) and attack dmg (1, 2 on a crit).
Victory in a RP-fight depends solely on chance. This may seem an unbiased system but it has its flaws :-
Under it, a farm maid has an equal chance of defeating a death knight or some orc berserker.

I am thinking about giving out HPs during the Character Approval stage of players under which everyone is given the number of HP and/or attack damage someone may have.
For example a Human Priest may be given 4 HP while a Paladin may be given 6 likewise for attacks.

This has its own cons -
Many many characters have already been made and it isn't possible to go around handing them their individual HPs now.
So instead, I propose classifying characters as Pacifists, Fighters, Heroes ,etc and put that on their FlagRSP, enabling guys to instantly get to know eachother's stats when a RP-fight occurs.

I know its pretty confusing and hap-hazard but 'til be cool if I can get my point across.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell
A farm maid's bitchslap hurts as much as Frostmourne searing through your heart! Damn.

Yeah, I fully agree.
[Image: divider1.png][Image: char1hidden.png][Image: divider2.png][Image: animated.gif][Image: divider3.png][Image: char3hidden.png][Image: divider4.png][Image: char4hidden.png][Image: divider5.png][Image: char5hidden.png][Image: divider6.png]
Email at Hero_Lief@yahoo.
I think you might wanna get in touch with the guy who's already far along in working on something like this.

He's taking GHI and using it to have predetermined stats for a character, along with governing rolls based on stats and all kinds of stuff that hearkens back to the days of Pen and Paper D&D.

It's basically the same thing you are talking about, but his is much more involved and organized.

It's floating around here in the forums somewhere. The thread is called GHI Combat or something like that.
Mistress Sylea Moonwhisper - Human - Azeroth Trade Syndicate
Baroness Ariannah Timaeus - Human - The Scourgebane Trinitus
Valishna- Draenei - Unaffiliated
Quote:I think you might wanna get in touch with the guy who's already far along in working on something like this.

He's taking GHI and using it to have predetermined stats for a character, along with governing rolls based on stats and all kinds of stuff that hearkens back to the days of Pen and Paper D&D.

It's basically the same thing you are talking about, but his is much more involved and organized.

It's floating around here in the forums somewhere. The thread is called GHI Combat or something like that.

That is still on beta test, he told me it would be finished around next week, then I think he'll test it
To make mistakes is part of Being a Human. That's why I play as Blood Elf.
Frankly, I prefer trustRP in real conflicts. For tournament RP it's just fine to have rollfights because having Sannas come out on top is probably the most hilarious thing ever (and who doesn't need a little humor in their world from time to time?). But no matter /what/ roll system you use, no matter how overcomplicated it gets, it all comes down to random chance. If you want the death knight to beat the farm maid, without a doubt, you need to use trustRP. That's the only system I've ever found that really works, and adding more to the simple roll system really defeats the purpose. In other words, if you add so much in order to bend a rolling system entirely in one guy's direction, why not just trust fight instead?
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
Trust RP really isn't the way out. More often than not people try to make their character win especially when it there are fights that may lead to IC deaths.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell
I'd say it's fine. Just discuss things with your opponent and act by rules you make with them if you're considering Rollfights. If you want a realistic system, then go for trust RP.. I'd say a Barmaid has as much chance of defeating a veteran Death Knight as the Earth has to become a potato and get eaten by a giant banana.

I'm warning you, it'll happen!
Little by little, one travels far.
For those that want to check out the guy with the GHI combat system it is here
HeroLief Wrote:A farm maid's bitchslap hurts

QFT
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
Quote:Just discuss things with your opponent and act by rules you make with them if you're considering Rollfights. If you want a realistic system, then go for trust RP

I may not be the best RP fighter since I havn't really done it yet but the Rollfights sounds easier for me
[Image: crashbandicootdrak.png]
[Image: IconSmall_Undead_Male.gif]Chad - 'Crazy' Forsaken
[Image: IconSmall_Bolvar.gif]Drakus Ashfollow - Human Tinker

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo1_r1_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo2_r1_250.gif]
Moose Wrote:Frankly, I prefer trustRP in real conflicts. For tournament RP it's just fine to have rollfights because having Sannas come out on top is probably the most hilarious thing ever (and who doesn't need a little humor in their world from time to time?). But no matter /what/ roll system you use, no matter how overcomplicated it gets, it all comes down to random chance. If you want the death knight to beat the farm maid, without a doubt, you need to use trustRP. That's the only system I've ever found that really works, and adding more to the simple roll system really defeats the purpose. In other words, if you add so much in order to bend a rolling system entirely in one guy's direction, why not just trust fight instead?

I agree completely with Moose on this one.
HeroLief Wrote:A farm maid's bitchslap hurts as much as Frostmourne searing through your heart! Damn.

Hardly. A strike to the heart would be instantly fatal, and thus wouldn't appear in a roll-fight, and Frostmourne is an artifact and thus would be unavailable to players.

A farm maid might "bitchslap" you with the blade of her hand, striking you in the larynx, crushing your airway and killing you in a very painful manner. So yes, a farm maid's attack could do just as much damage as a blow from a sword. All it takes is a little imagination.

For example, Doctor Mansfield could kill an Orcish berserker relatively easily, really -- sever the wrist tendons with his catlin to cripple the orc with pain and prevent him from grasping or holding objects, and then strike at the spine to disable motor control and cause neurotic shock, resulting in instant death.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Way to make everything make sense :(
I really wish that Trust emote combat would work, but the fact of the matter is that there needs to be winner and loser, and when losing means your character could die people will make up any sort of crap to have that not happen. What fair way is there to determine who wins and who loses? Should you line up all your skills give them a point value and who ever has the most points wins the fight? Also, in real life luck is a factor in combat, a flying piece of dust hitting an eye at the right time could determine who wins an who dies. So yes a weighted roll combat like mine still has some luck involved but the person who should win usually does.

Just my input on the subject
rentreality Wrote:For example, Doctor Mansfield could kill an Orcish berserker relatively easily, really -- sever the wrist tendons with his catlin to cripple the orc with pain and prevent him from grasping or holding objects, and then strike at the spine to disable motor control and cause neurotic shock, resulting in instant death.

Exactly, but the thing is that a lot of people don't actually try and inflict damage like that, nor could they take a lot of the things that gets done to them - but a rolling system with HP means that you will always lose one point if you take a hit, two if it's a crit. For example, if a plate-geared warrior gets punched in the cuirass, they'll take the same damage as one who narrowly avoids getting his jugular opened up with a hairpin. While a system like this (or indeed, a system like Duskwolf's which I really ought to check out some time!) could help with that sort of situation to an extent, I really do think that the hurdle can be bypassed altogether by just using trust fighting. However, as I said, I reckon something like this could actually come in handy for something like a tournament.