The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Disappointing Public Conversation
So... as of late, I've been hearing reports of some rather disappointing snipes made in General chat. Specifically, against GMs.

The GMs will do what they can to quell disparaging and disrespectful remarks made against other players in a public, OOC channel. What makes some of these people that have recently made them think that they're immune to any sort of punishment if they're made against GMs themselves? The only reason I can think of is that they liken them to retail GMs, whom are paid to take that kind of abuse. Well... we have a surprise for you here. *smirk* I don't think it needs to be said that GMs here are unpaid voluntee-... oh wait, I just said it. Well, you all knew already, I'm sure! ;)

There is the other public dissent as well, specifically regarding folks mentioning what they don't like about the server. This is fine and dandy. However, the method can potentially not be. Posting constructive threads about what is wrong and how it can potentially be changed, after taking everything into consideration, is welcome! Mocking something that you feel is wrong and not being constructive at all will be dealt with appropriately, however. It may be advisable to read this thread.

Now, bear in mind that I know of only a few instances of either of these things happening recently. However, I'm being told that these sorts of things is a running trend as of late, so therefore I am posting this as a reminder to all. We don't need new players confused by the few that can't conduct themselves in a rational manner.
Being rude to volunteer GMs is just plain odd. To me it seems like going to a soup kitchen and then slapping the volunteers in the face because they're serving tomato soup instead of bread. Beggars can't be choosers, if you don't like the way the server management is handled and can't word it in a polite, civilized way, why are you even still here? You obviously being people with a lack of common decency.
This is true, GMs do help out a lot, and that's real cool. I can understand if people feel they have something to say about GMs that they may not want to hear, but idle gossip that ends up just getting regurgitated won't help anybody. If somebody is bad-talking a GM in a public chat, it isn't cool, but some constructive criticism directed to a GM in something like a forum post or in private (My favorite) actually has a chance to solve something.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
But there is a huge difference between the right way and the wrong way about saying these things. Passive-agressive comments and outright agressive comments are not constructive, nor helpful, and just make people angry. If someone were to say, make a thread stating why a particular rule or something makes them aggravated, while explaining it in a manner that doesn't outright call people out in a rude manner, then yes, I can see how that's very needed.

I believe what Kretol is getting at is that it's dissapointing the -way- people are going about it lately.

Edit: This isn't directed at anybody. By God I'm paranoid now that people will think that.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:But there is a huge difference between the right way and the wrong way about saying these things. Passive-agressive comments and outright agressive comments are not constructive, nor helpful, and just make people angry. If someone were to say, make a thread stating why a particular rule or something makes them aggravated, while explaining it in a manner that doesn't outright call people out in a rude manner, then yes, I can see how that's very needed.

I believe what Kretol is getting at is that it's dissapointing the -way- people are going about it lately.

Bad: Rule 16 is a stupid rule and Nari is a total betch for enforcing it and well...being a betch. I hate it, they should just get rid of it because they and it are stupid. Mehmehmeh.

Good: I don't think rule 16 is very plausible due to the fact that it's not very logical in these ways *Lists ways* and because some of the GMs are being a tad bit encroaching about it. Here's how I think would be a better way to look at it. *Posts reasoning here.*
I've been noticing (at least outside the game) that it's not just the GMs that are getting sniped at in not-so-subtle ways. Especially in profiles and introductions. If you've got constructive criticism, make it CONSTRUCTIVE.

"Oh, cute, another blood elf with dead parents. Can't wait to RP with yet another one" is not constructive.

"I would suggest reading a few other approved blood elf characters and reconsidering the history of your character, as it seems that deceased parents come up a lot. The more often it's used, the more the emotional impact is diluted" is considerably less likely to make everyone who reads your post think you're a bit of a jerk.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Qaza Wrote:I've been noticing (at least outside the game) that it's not just the GMs that are getting sniped at in not-so-subtle ways. Especially in profiles and introductions. If you've got constructive criticism, make it CONSTRUCTIVE.

"Oh, cute, another blood elf with dead parents. Can't wait to RP with yet another one" is not constructive.

On a sidenote, inter-player sniping is an issue that can also be solved with a solid 'Stoppit!'. We don't care how well you can debunk someone elses character. We know you're awesome. You know you're awesome. This person you're insulting would also like to be a little awesome. Can we accept this?

Take a deep breath.

It's okay.

You can do it.

*fires her everyone-is-awesome-anti-player-sniping-cannonz! All twelve!* (Got 3 more installed for recent events, thanks to Theik. Yay Theik!)
AmyraTess Wrote:*fires her everyone-is-awesome-anti-player-sniping-cannonz! All twelve!*
Wouldn't...the...cannons help with...the sniping...?
Oh well that's a topic for a different thread.
I would like to quote the very special ex-President on this one.
George Bush Wrote:We gotta stop the terr'r. In order t' stop the terr'r we gotta git the terr'rists, we gotta git the terr'rists fer freedom. It's all fer freedom.
Basically this is exactly what he said: I'd like to take my time to point out, that even though we are having some rough bits, there is an easy solution to all of this. Kindness. It really does go a long way. Especially fer freedom.
Yar, this is actually something really important that should be said. Comments that are directed towards people that make a direct confrontation or show that you are out to get them even if they were never meant in that way end up making the target of these comments switch into defensive mode, and once they are in that mode it is near impossible to try and get them to change what the issue is without them getting hateful or spiteful. We have all done this in the past, I know I've done it at least a few times, but it's important to avoid 'calling people out' as they put it, so that no one is placed in this defensive mode and they can more readily accept criticism and correct the deficiency.

Qaza stated this pretty much perfectly:

Qaza Wrote:"Oh, cute, another blood elf with dead parents. Can't wait to RP with yet another one"
= Defensive Mode = No help whatsoever.
Qaza Wrote:"I would suggest reading a few other approved blood elf characters and reconsidering the history of your character, as it seems that deceased parents come up a lot. The more often it's used, the more the emotional impact is diluted"
= No Defensive Mode = Constructive.
[Image: Signature.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal/Public Status of Shadow Users c0rzilla 28 7,222 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  Worgen Form in Public c0rzilla 38 5,003 05-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Aadora
  Great Conversation. Andrasia 5 1,405 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Minoco