The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Discipline Priests
As Grakor said, it doesn't matter what you believe in, so long as you believe that it holds the power to help. (See somebody's reference to mold holding the keys to life, the universe and everything, etc..)
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
The entire human Light philosophy has no deity. It is all based on the tenets, and using those tenets and one's action and will to make the world better. It is...a philosophy. No other way to say it. Yes, at one point, it did have a deity. But, that was retconned.

Yes, if a priest loses touch with those tenets, a priest will lose his powers.

They are called Divine, because that is the nature of the energy they use. Its source varies depending on the priest.

...And what Grakor said. All hail Moldus the Mold Bringer!
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Not every real world religion has a deity.
Like Buddhism. There is no defined god, just a set of beliefs and philosophies.

The Light is a religion. Being a priest means that you are inherently religious.
...Is this an argument about semantics?
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Buddhism technically does have a god. Not really a -god,- but a defined being of reverence, depending on the sect. That's beside the point though.

The point is, you can believe in -anything,- not just the Light. (See: Elune, Tauren Priests, Troll Priests, Forgotten Shadow Priests, Old God Priests, Titan Priests, Moldus the Mold Bringer Priests, Rusty Spoon Priests. If you can believe in it, you can cast Divine magic.)
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
Hmm. While I do see this topic going off-topic,t hanks again for the answers ^__^
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
I'm reviving this post in hopes of figureing something out, as I want to rp a discipline priest (as it's my favorite spec in my favorite class).

With discipline emphasizing on the power within ones mind tempered by faith. Is it possible for a character to have devoted himself to the faith and eventually, in the process of acquiring curiosity on the workings of the divine magics, to begin to explore the mental concepts of the magic, becoming a sort of magical mentalist, for lack of a better term?

While I understand that this seems to go into mage and warlock territory. I am curious to see how a mind that would seem destined towards study of the arcane would direct his curiosity towards the workings of the divine?
If I'm on the same page as you, and let me know if I'm not, but are talking about him exploring the workings of divine magic? Like where does it come from? Why can only the good and just use it? If so, then that's entirely possible.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
I hate to be "that guy" by coming here and saying that you probably should've made your own thread about this question, instead of reviving an old thread from 1/06/2012. While this thread is the same topic as your question, it's still thought better to leave dead threads dead.

But onto the question at hand.
Yes, it would be possible for somebody who is sure of themselves in the Divine ways, they probably could begin the study of Arcane and other magics. It is okay to have somebody that studies these things, but not okay for a guy to Flash Heal himself after casting a Fel & Frost & Fire bolt at his enemy. Not only is that multi-classing, it's also obnoxious (mostly because a Priest, Warlock, and Mage combined could literally do anything).

Hope I helped. Next time, consider making your own thread. As a rule of thumb, if the thread is older than...hrm, I'd say possibly 4 months at max, I wouldn't revive it unless you're the one who started the thread in the first place.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
(11-04-2013, 09:40 PM)cadmiumcrows Wrote: I'm reviving this post in hopes of figureing something out, as I want to rp a discipline priest (as it's my favorite spec in my favorite class).

With discipline emphasizing on the power within ones mind tempered by faith. Is it possible for a character to have devoted himself to the faith and eventually, in the process of acquiring curiosity on the workings of the divine magics, to begin to explore the mental concepts of the magic, becoming a sort of magical mentalist, for lack of a better term?

While I understand that this seems to go into mage and warlock territory. I am curious to see how a mind that would seem destined towards study of the arcane would direct his curiosity towards the workings of the divine?

Divine magic isn't "learned" like arcane magic is. Arcane magic is a science, a math, there are rules that have to be followed, etc.

That said, a purely-faith based character can still venture into the more mentalist flavors of priest magic by harnessing faith as a means of mental fortitude. Guard the soul guard the mind sort of stuff, etc.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.