The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Discussion on IC mounts
Anywho. I want to make a concrete list of what people can and can not ICly ride on Warcraft, and place some limitations on the more exotic mounts. I'm posting this so it's open for discussion. Please provide your opinion/take note of what I might have missed, I'll take it into account if you got good reasoning and what not.

This is really just my musings. Maybe it'll be a policy eventually. But right now, this is really just me. These are the mounts I would prohibit, and why. Everything not on this list is a-okay to ride, though if you can think of some questionable ones I'd love to hear of them.

Quote:Unobtainable mounts: These mounts do not actually exist in Warcraft, and have been determined to be there purely as a joke/for marketing reasons from Blizzard/are entirely unreasonable to actually use as mounts. As such, we will be disregarding them as far as getting them ICly is concerned. It will never happen.
-Tyrael's Charger
-Winged Guardian
-Celestial Steed
-Big Blizzard Bear

Only-one mounts: Quite simply put, these mounts come from instances of there literally being only one of that mount in existance, and most of them are tied to lore characters in some way.
-Invincible
-Raven Lord
-Heart of the Aspects

Storyline mounts: Temporary mounts that will only serve with a character for the length of a storyline. Discuss this with the GMs if you want to use one for a storyline. They won't stick around forever ICly.
-Drakes of any 'flight'
-Frostbrood

Unusual mounts: Mounts that should not be common. Ask us in the private forum if you want one, please give good reasoning.
-Phoenixes
-Blazing Hippogryph
-Flameward Hippogryph
-Firelands Mounts
-Qiraji Battle Tanks
-Protodrakes
-Any Spectral Animal
-Magic Rooster

Thank you for reading and hopefully responding!
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
So what you're saying is that the giant turtle is fair game.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
It is! I have seen Faelara ride a turtle, cute stuff.
(04-20-2013, 07:41 PM)Anski Wrote: So what you're saying is that the giant turtle is fair game.

Hell yeah, Pandaren ride them, it's lore now. Sorry naysayers.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
(04-20-2013, 07:41 PM)Anski Wrote: So what you're saying is that the giant turtle is fair game.

Land and Sea Turtle, as I understand it!

Speaking on behalf of Caravan, the most interesting gnome in the world:

Spoiler:
[Image: PS_1075_LIKE_TURTLES.jpg]
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
Caravan Wrote:Land and Sea Turtle, as I understand it!

Speaking on behalf of Caravan, the most interesting gnome in the world:

* SPOILER *

Seems legit, I approve this claim.

I am. Mostly because there's a few giant turtle mobs in the game, so I figure the mountable one isn't that far of a stretch. That's just how I view it though.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Here's a few I would question:

Heart of the Aspects (Blizzard Store Bought)
Ashes of Al'ar (Raid Drop)
Dark Pheonix (Guild Reward)
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
Bingles drives a giant turtle, because ICly he is studying turtles.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

I'm curious on the imagination level of things here. Just like we are for some lore weapons, we can't have that weapon Icly but we are allowed to have a blade that may resemble it or at least be represented best by that model in game. I thought we could do that with mounts, we can't say the Raven Lord is a Big @#$ bird? large hawkstrider? I haven't investigated all of the mounts but I'm surprised we can't have the same anonymity with the mounts.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
(04-20-2013, 08:19 PM)ThePharaoh Wrote: I'm curious on the imagination level of things here. Just like we are for some lore weapons, we can't have that weapon Icly but we are allowed to have a blade that may resemble it or at least be represented best by that model in game. I thought we could do that with mounts, we can't say the Raven Lord is a Big @#$ bird? large hawkstrider? I haven't investigated all of the mounts but I'm surprised we can't have the same anonymity with the mounts.

I've had the same general assumption, actually. Case in point: Velial has had the Raven Lord since back when the OOC-area Mount Vendor was a thing, as have a few of my other characters. They're generally used as stand-ins for when I need to use a flying mount in an area where they're only disallowed because of mechanics, etc. and Hawkstriders just don't look "flight"-y enough.
As someone wise once said, the important thing is never to be fearless or confident. Most people have more than enough trouble with both. The trick is to fake it, because if you learn to fake it properly, it's the same thing as actually having confidence.
Spoiler:
[Image: c4i6Zq5.png]
Thinking of it the way Pharoah put it:

Magic Rooster - It's just a big chicken.
Qiraji Battle Tanks - Don't need a relation to the Qiraji, it's just a big bug that somebody tamed and uses as a mount
Invincible - Surely Arthas wasn't the only necromancer who thought of putting wings on his horse when raising it.
Raven Lord - Yeah, big bird.

And while I can understand we don't want people having their own personal red, blue, black, green, or bronze drakes... there -are- the lesser flights such as sandstone or albino which as far as I know, are more feral and thus, more tameable as a mount. But you wouldn't have your average farming riding one.

Also didn't see the last section so scratch the first two of what I said last.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
I'm gonna argue with a few of these
(04-20-2013, 07:26 PM)Xigo Wrote: -Any Spectral Animal
Ghosts. You used to ride a spectral gryphon if you did the PvP stuff in EPL, even. Probably unusual, but I wouldn't be putting this in the joke/not canon mount section
Quote:-Winged Guardian
Could easily make a case for this being some type of Titan construct, probably even with a Tol'Vir history
Quote:-Celestial Steed
I'd put this in as a one of a kind thing, given come Pandaria we know of at least one other Spectral critter to go along with Algalon and this
Quote:-Blazing Hippogryph
-Flameward Hippogryph
These are the biggest ones I'm gonna argue with. We see Cenarion NPCs riding the Flameward ones right outside Sulfuron Spire, and ordinary Hippogryphs are a dime a dozen. Maybe the Firelands have affected the standard hipppogryphs and turned them into these, especially given a large portion of the Cenarion dailies is trying to find a way to fly in the updrafts of the Firelands? Unusual and needing a history with the Cenarion forces in the Firelands I'd say, given this is a reward for hitting exalted with them
Quote:-Firelands Mounts
We see Fire Hawks all the time, and even ride them for the dailies in Firelands. Heck, they even say all you'd need to do is tame them as chicks to get them into a mountable form. Mind their whole short lifespan thing is a worry, but I think that shoves them into unusual as opposed to unacceptable. You grab like, 10 of them every time you do the DotT dailies
Quote:-Qiraji Battle Tanks
Gonna say these are mostly unusual. If a hunter can tame a Silithid, seems to reason one might be able to get one as a mount. Only the Ultramarine though, given the Black is the Scarab Lords and one of a kind, and the others can't be used outside the instance

As for other questionable ones, Heart of the Aspects I'd launch firmly into the one of a kind thing, given how it was created and all, along with Mimiron's Head. I'd also probably say that DKs would have a better chance getting Frostbroods or their PvP variants
I hope I get to keep that rooster and turtle...I use em all the time IC!
Quote:-Qiraji Battle Tanks

I'd vote for this being available. Well, the aquamarine version, as mentioned above. Silithid soldiers are tameable beasts, and surely if you can tame one, it would be possible to ride it as well.

I have a related question, though. Will raid drop and flying mounts that we deem acceptable for IC use be added to GMI vendors? I believe it's been well noted that a few of the raids are outright broken. I know I walked into Zul'Aman and discovered it devoid of mobs, so that's at least one instance that cannot be attempted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion: Killing Characters Xigo 24 3,995 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kimaira
  CW and Character Death Discussion Zhaei 26 4,552 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Post-Meet and Greet Discussion Loxmardin 13 2,523 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Piken
  Discussion for Non-Gilnean Worgen PCs Zenethen 26 4,117 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Races and Mounts requiem225 10 2,406 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Dae