The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Discussion on IC mounts
Notable to mention, Qiraji Battle Tanks can't even be used outside of the Ahn'Quiraj dungeons. I doubt we'd have many people going there ICly.

As well, a bit of personal curiosity, but why ride a raven lord and say it's an overgrown hawkstrider/bird if you could just use a Hawkstrider normally?
(04-20-2013, 11:52 PM)Krilari Wrote: Notable to mention, Qiraji Battle Tanks can't even be used outside of the Ahn'Quiraj dungeons. I doubt we'd have many people going there ICly.

As well, a bit of personal curiosity, but why ride a raven lord and say it's an overgrown hawkstrider/bird if you could just use a Hawkstrider normally?

At least in my case, it's been a matter of faction-locking or the fact that it's a lot easier to convey "not a Hawkstrider" when not using a Hawkstrider. Especially on Blood Elves. If I wanted to say my Blood Elf was on some sort of actually-flying animal in, say, the middle of the Barrens, a Raven Lord tends to get the message across without having to constantly reiterate that it isn't a Hawkstrider if anyone new ever comes across the RP.

Really it's a matter of convenience more than anything else.
As someone wise once said, the important thing is never to be fearless or confident. Most people have more than enough trouble with both. The trick is to fake it, because if you learn to fake it properly, it's the same thing as actually having confidence.
Spoiler:
[Image: c4i6Zq5.png]
Quote:-Raven Lord

I tend to use this mount as a representation of a conjured shadowbeast for riding around on, but I suppose that's a very narrow and specific use for it.
  • Winged Guardian - Not sure why this shouldn't be available? Epically magical and all by so are many other steeds. Would ICly be connected to the Tol'vir I believe.
  • Qiraj Mounts - But there are one or two variations for open world use, no? But I have to agree with previous notes, they are tameable by hunters and should be available as mounts. ICly tied to Silithus or the wasps in Sholazar. Checked it up, the Ultramarine in Cata is gained through archeology and can be used outside of AQ.
  • Fiery hippogryphs & Fire hawk - Frequently used by NPCs, both friendly and hostile in Hyjal as well as the Firelands. Out character would have access to those mounts if they are part of the effort as well.
  • Frostbrood - For death knights. I don't see a good reason why they (or a necromancer) wouldn't keep one they've taken in Northrend.
  • Proto-dragons - They are described as very bestial and I think it's reasonable that they brave/strong or wealthy could get their hands on one as their mount.
  • Invincible, Raven Lord, Tyrael's Charger - These are mounts that look good and I know lore-wise two of them are unique. From the perspective of our characters, they surely don't even know about Anzu or Invincible and the ignorance is enough for me to think the mounts can be allowed. Tyrael's Charger would be the first paladin-flying mount.
  • Phoenix - Avaliable for use by all mages and even some warlocks. (Keep the Dark Phoenix for shadowpriests.)
  • Spectral Wolf - Perhaps it should be available for shamans that want to ride their ghostwolves?
  • Amani Battle Bear - Open this up for us warish trolls again!
  • Stone and Wind dragons - They aren't as powerful as the blessed flights and could reasonably be caught and ridden by those that frequent Deepholm and Uldum.

Overall I think we should limit as few things as possible and require us player to use common sense when choosing mounts. Just to save some work on PDs requesting and discussing mounts. I'm generally against the openness but I think the limitations instead become too time-consuming and something that bothers people. They days when people could purchase the rare-mounts in OOC Cavern aren't that far behind us and I personally never noticed it being abused.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Just gonna toss my word in,

I'm just a mount collector. I like having as many as I can. But! To agree with bovel above, The proto-drakes are indeed very bestial and I too would think of them as IC mounts, but under very limiting circumstances.
I too support proto-drakes and certain qiraji as mounts. There are a few (or at least one) qiraji that can be ridden outside of AQ40 in retail. And even if they possess an intelligence greater then the average giant insect, I doubt they would fall as untameable. Now the question on how to obtain one is trickier.
"Do not be fooled if you hear laughter, or happen upon a smile. There is no happiness or merriment here."
I'm fine with most of the mounts that have an actual place in lore being available with approval from GMs. Disregarding the silly stuff like giant chickens and flaming hippogryphs, the proto-drakes in particular could be earned through RP with a GM's permission. Aside from that, I'm completely in agreement with the OP.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
Anywho. Note that I made this public largely because I know I'm probably one of the more conservative GMs, and understand that I'd limit things probably to the detriment of everything on my own. I really wanted player opinion for this, so thank you!

Anyway, edited the list. Here's my explanation for things.

Any Cataclysm Mount - I don't play retail. I have no idea how you get most these mounts. I just saw the firelands things and went 'how in the blazes could you explain having that icly'. Also, I didn't know the two hippogryphs were actually used ICly. I just assumed they were silly things Blizzard threw in. Get it? Blazes? No...?

Celestial Steed - Eh. It's not something I'd really want to see people ICly riding around on.

Winged Guardian - As cool as it might look (think it looks silly personally), I really don't understand how you'd... get one of those things to ride. If someone could give me a good explanation as to how you get it (and explain what the heck they are), sure, otherwise I'll hold my ground on it.

Invincible/Raven Lord - I'm personally not comfortable with either of these being used. I didn't really like that they were being used before. Not a fan of how the Raven Lord was treated as 'just a big hawkstrider'. Why not just use a hawkstrider? What's the big deal? Why does it need to be the Raven Lord? I could understand wanting a winged undead horse as a necromancer more than I'd understand wanting the Raven Lord.

Protodrakes - When I asked the GM team, everyone was opposed to people just getting protodrakes because they are pretty damn powerful for mounts. I'll push it down to the 'private discussion' ones.

Spectral Steeds - I find the idea of mounting a ghost ridiculous. If someone can explain how they'd get one of these ICly, sure, go through the private discussion.

I know someone said 'as long as the players use common sense it should be fine', and I'll comment on that. Yeah, it should be. But keeping a vague idea of 'what's usable and what's not' generally leads to arguing over 'HEY YU SOULDN BE USING X MOUNT ICLY GET RID OF IT NAAAAOOOO'. So that's really why I want to solidify this.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
It really wouldn't be that much more work to run a lot of these questionables in PD. Some of them seem to come with logical limitations (zone or associations primarily, but there are others I'msure!), so if you really, really want one you could make a PD with a good proposal for review.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
As a side note, I'd like to try and convince Kretol to remove the racial restrictions on mounts (unless it's blatantly wearing Horde/Alliance symbols or something), with the exception of goblin trikes, which I'd just let only gnomes use too.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Hiya! 2 notes from me:

1- I believe Garrosh brings protodrakes from northrend, and uses them in ashenvale. Granted, its a result of him holding their young hostage that they are tamed, so I wouldn't see just any Orc using them, and would probably be used only by those in orgrimmar's guard (meaning most PCs probably wouldn't have on).

2- on the subject of mounts, I was wondering if it was possible to make all mounts max speed? In most games, its usually the plainest mounts that get relegated to being slow, but they are often the most rp friendly. There are a few plainer looking ones in wow that are full speed, but choice is limited. Maxing all mount speeds would open up more player choice. (If there is already a mechanic that does this, pardon me then. I'm a total cata noob)
Agreed with both those points, Jonoth. Good suggestion too, I'll see if we can get it done.

whydidyoueverleavethegmteamyou'reawesome

Also, to note, the only mounts I wouldn't really want to make crossfaction are nightsabers and forsaken steeds. Mostly because the nightsabers are attached to the night elves pretty closely, and... you'd need to be a necromancer or something to use a forsaken horse (though I could see this happening).
(04-21-2013, 05:07 AM)Jonoth Wrote: 2- on the subject of mounts, I was wondering if it was possible to make all mounts max speed? In most games, its usually the plainest mounts that get relegated to being slow, but they are often the most rp friendly. There are a few plainer looking ones in wow that are full speed, but choice is limited. Maxing all mount speeds would open up more player choice. (If there is already a mechanic that does this, pardon me then. I'm a total cata noob)

If it's the same as retail, all mounts are defaulted to maximum speed in Cataclysm!
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
(04-21-2013, 05:02 AM)Xigo Wrote: As a side note, I'd like to try and convince Kretol to remove the racial restrictions on mounts (unless it's blatantly wearing Horde/Alliance symbols or something), with the exception of goblin trikes, which I'd just let only gnomes use too.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(04-21-2013, 04:53 AM)Xigo Wrote: Winged Guardian - As cool as it might look (think it looks silly personally), I really don't understand how you'd... get one of those things to ride. If someone could give me a good explanation as to how you get it (and explain what the heck they are), sure, otherwise I'll hold my ground on it.
There are none ingame, but what lore on them we have states they're Titan Constructs, presumably to guard something or another. So given the sphinx appearance, an adventuring character could find one in a titan ruin, like the other Titan constructs and watchers we've encountered. They have a very Tol'Vir look to them, so Uldum would probably be the place

Also the Guardian Cubs are freaking adorable

Oh, and on Protodrakes, the Bronze ones (Time Lost look a likes) are used by the Argents in Icecrown, so on the Protodrake side that's at least one thing for them. I just really like protodrakes, best mount

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion: Killing Characters Xigo 24 3,995 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kimaira
  CW and Character Death Discussion Zhaei 26 4,552 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Post-Meet and Greet Discussion Loxmardin 13 2,523 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Piken
  Discussion for Non-Gilnean Worgen PCs Zenethen 26 4,117 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Races and Mounts requiem225 10 2,406 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Dae