The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Discussion on IC mounts
You wont find any lore on the Raven Lord itself, however there is some on who it is supposed to be, which is Anzu. I'll quote the related stuff below. [Note this isn't my opinion, just throwing it out there that there is some lore on the guy. Some.]

Quote:Anzu is a "raven god" and a boss in the Sethekk Halls of Auchindoun (on heroic difficulty only). He is most notable for dropping the [Reins of the Raven Lord], a ground mount.

Quote:"From the darkest night shall rise again the raven, shall take flight in the shadows, shall reveal the nature of its kind. Prepare yourself for its coming, for the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with the raven, the rest be forgotten to walk upon the ground, clipped wings and shame.
Steel your minds and guard your thoughts. The dark wings will cloud and consume the minds of the weak, a flock of thralls whose feet may never leave the ground.
The old blood will flow once again with the coming of the raven, the return of the darkness in the skies. Scarlet night, and the rise of the old.
The raven was struck down once for flying too high, unready. The eons have prepared the Dark Watcher for its ascent, to draw the dark cloak across the horizon."

IN B4 XIGO
http://www.wowpedia.org/Anzu

It's the god of the 'evil arakkoa'.

Dude even has a prophecy.

Quote:From the darkest night shall rise again the raven, shall take flight in the shadows, shall reveal the nature of its kind. Prepare yourself for its coming, for the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with the raven, the rest be forgotten to walk upon the ground, clipped wings and shame.
Steel your minds and guard your thoughts. The dark wings will cloud and consume the minds of the weak, a flock of thralls whose feet may never leave the ground.

The old blood will flow once again with the coming of the raven, the return of the darkness in the skies. Scarlet night, and the rise of the old.

The raven was struck down once for flying too high, unready. The eons have prepared the Dark Watcher for its ascent, to draw the dark cloak across the horizon.

GOSHDANGITREIGEN
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Ahh, fair enough.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Incidentally, there's also another raven spirit in Hyjal who uses the same model that you fight

(still say Ancient Guardian could be a titan thing though)
(04-22-2013, 12:24 AM)Xanvol Wrote: Incidentally, there's also another raven spirit in Hyjal who uses the same model that you fight

(still say Ancient Guardian could be a titan thing though)

Aye, there is. You have to fight them along with a group of Harpies.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

When it comes to mounts, I'm of the opinion that people can collect them as they please OOCly. Some of them are fun to run about on and particularly the drakes/phoenixes are great for OOC exploration.

... However, when it comes to how they're used ICly, I'm one of those who'd like them to be very restricted. Mostly because I don't see how people would actually go about acquiring certain mounts ICly (either because they're close to impossible to afford or requires very specific training before you can ride, let alone be allowed near the mount itself). Most of the mounts that are brought into question in this thread are the kinds of mounts you wouldn't find just anywhere. They aren't standard, and if you look at it from an IC perspective...

First of all, where would your character get one of them? How? From who? And why would your character make the choice to pursue that kind of mount in the frist place? What's in it for them aside from "this mount looks really pretty" for most of them? Who in their right mind would ICly get on the back of a protodrake, for instance? It's common knowledge that the Vrykul ride them around, but the Vrykul are big, strong and experienced with the protodrakes and are very much adept at taming and, really, subduing them.

Not just anyone would be able to ride a drake. Sure, they're primitive and bestial, meaning they wouldn't be picky. But who would take the chance? That drake might just gobble you up before it lets you ride it anywhere, because it's a beast. It's an aggressive beast, too, and much larger than, say, the Worgs.

The Phoenixes are also a far stretch, to me. I don't really see even mages riding around on those mostly because it'd take a bit too much of the mage to summon and keep it around for it to actually be worth it. If I see a mage riding around on a Phoenix, I wouldn't really want to see them casting spells proficiently afterwards. That's just my personal opinion on the Phoenix as a mount, mostly because I have a great respect for them as creatures seeing as they are powerful denizens of the Plane of Fire and all.

I don't really care much about Invincible, personally. It's an undead horse with wings. I think that could be easy to explain ICly since we already have Deathchargers. Arthas was first with the idea, but that wouldn't really stop others from following his example, I'd think. Granted, I'm not so sure about the horses actually flying. That might get difficult seeing as horses aren't really meant to fly, but... Yeah. World of Warcraft doesn't follow that kind of common logic.

The Raven Lord? I never liked it. I don't think people should use it ICly.

I could see certain engineers using Mimiron's Head as a mount, but otherwise that one also makes me very sceptical.

I also don't like the Magic Rooster and I think people shouldn't be able to use that ICly. Mostly using many of the same questions that I used for the protodrakes. Why would anyone want to ride around on this thing and how would they even get one? ... And who in their right mind would make them in the first place? :P

Mammoths? They aren't cheap. And they really aren't easy to get. I don't think they have a surplus of Mammoths around to sell to just anyone. I really don't like them being taken lightly and used by just anyone ICly.

As for NPCs using certain mounts... I don't really think that's a valid excuse unless your character itself is an active member of their same organization. Just because the NPCs use them doesn't mean your characters in any way qualify. They might be specially trained mounts for the organization's purposes or whatever. And just because the NPCs have them doesn't mean they have more to spare for the common adventurer or that they even exist anywhere else where you could logically get your hands on one.

Rambleramble.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

((That said, I'm all for having PD requests up for different kinds of "rare" mounts that aren't your standard racial mounts. I just don't want to see everyone being able to run around with these ICly because it doesn't make sense, if you start asking yourself the questions I've mentioned.))
My only response is Loxxy... who would in their right mind also gets on a raptor, or a tiger, or a giant wolf?

I think that it's very logical to think people could tame various types of dangerous animals as their mounts.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

If I ever get around to making that Arakkoa CMC, I think a raven lord (as just a big, exotic Outland bird ICly) would be a decent mount option, considering the associations with the race and bird training in general. Otherwise, I don't really see it as being a viable mount option, though I'm not particularly outspoken against people using it as a big, black hawkstrider, as long as it is a hawkstrider ICly, and they'd have reason to have an especially large specimen.
Oh, sure, I don't argue that, Rensin. I just don't think just anyone could. So I guess my rambling and muttermutter's more about people being sensible with it and actually taking a moment to stop and think about if your character would ever actually get that kind of mount. And why. And how.

Those kinds of questions. Most mounts with teeth are dangerous, and there are always less dangerous options that you could go for. So why would you go for the one that risks getting you seriously hurt before you get on the back of the mount, you know?

Like I said on Skype; None of my characters save possibly my trolls would ever get near a protodrake, let alone try to ride one. Because none of them are crazy enough to try. :P
Absolutely. I think it's fair to bring up that people should use discretion and logic when doing so, such as... "Would my character be able to tame this and not get eaten?"

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

It's all in how the character's grew up if you ask me, honestly. Trolls grow up around raptors, orcs with worgs, humans with horses, dwarves with rams, ect. ect. If you came from a place completely without cars or any motorized vehicles, you wouldn't feel comfortable on a sidewalk or near a car either. You might adapt to it, which is what humans are so good at, as are intelligent creatures in general (Usually, not always the case)

Sorry for posting in dis "old" thread.
Feedback Thread.

Common Sense; Questionable, still there.
(04-25-2013, 09:09 AM)Spiky Wrote: It's all in how the character's grew up if you ask me, honestly. Trolls grow up around raptors, orcs with worgs, humans with horses, dwarves with rams, ect. ect. If you came from a place completely without cars or any motorized vehicles, you wouldn't feel comfortable on a sidewalk or near a car either. You might adapt to it, which is what humans are so good at, as are intelligent creatures in general (Usually, not always the case)

Sorry for posting in dis "old" thread.

I agree---to a degree. I feel certain animals could be tamed much like hunter pets, and used as mounts, especially if they are raised from birth. It would be easy to assume, yes, certain races have more of an affinity with those creatures as they grew up with them, and it should be an instance where that is most likely what you'd see, however, I don't think it'd be entirely strange to say, see a human riding a Worg if they trained them themselves. Horses to me would seem like an animal that any race could use, with the exception of maybe undead, as their horses typically lack... everything but bones.

I think it's more about how the person roleplays it out, rather than the "norm" associated with the race.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I don't think you can ride the warlock mount Icly, of course it would be possible, just not very likely..

Reasons:

1: The ritual is very hard and complicated.
2: If you're near a village you'll probably be killed. for ope demon use.
Are you talking about the felsteed? Because people have always been using that as a mount and I've never seen an OOC objection over it.

In settlements most guards would raise an issue (Undercity and goblin places being an exception) but there was nothing about the felsteeds that suggested they are beyond a warlock's ability to control.
(05-07-2013, 03:46 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: Are you talking about the felsteed? Because people have always been using that as a mount and I've never seen an OOC objection over it.

In settlements most guards would raise an issue (Undercity and goblin places being an exception) but there was nothing about the felsteeds that suggested they are beyond a warlock's ability to control.

I'm talking about the dreadsteed, I myself do not mind much.

The ritual for a Dreadsteed is pretty hard, you've to summon the Xorothian Dreadsteed. So just riding it like it's any other mount would be strange, right?

Quote:<name>, your delvings into the dark arts are deep. Your mastery over otherworldly denizens has grown so strong... perhaps you are ready to bind to you one of the infamous dreadsteeds.

The ritual to summon the beast from its home requires great power and resources, but if you desire to dominate that epic mount, then speak with Mor'zul Bloodbringer. He is camped near the Altar of Storms in the Burning Steppes.

Go, <name>. This quest will be perilous, but a Warlock of your stature does not shy from danger!

This is from the old quest chain: http://www.wowpedia.org/Dreadsteed_quest_(removed)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion: Killing Characters Xigo 24 3,995 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kimaira
  CW and Character Death Discussion Zhaei 26 4,552 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Post-Meet and Greet Discussion Loxmardin 13 2,523 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Piken
  Discussion for Non-Gilnean Worgen PCs Zenethen 26 4,117 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Races and Mounts requiem225 10 2,406 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Dae