The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Divine Shield and Others
I've been looking through the paladin skill tree and I've wondered how Divine Shield works ICly. Does it make your character become invincible and unaffected by damage? To be more precise, let me give a few examples.

1. A paladin is inside a house that is about to collapse, he casts Divine Shield on himself and the house falls on top of him. Does he survive and dig himself out of the wreckage?

2. A paladin is standing next to an oil barrel. Someone from a long distance away shoots a flaming arrow at it. The paladin notices and casts Divine Shield. The barrel explodes and spills fire and death all around. Does the paladin walk away unscathed?

3. A paladin is standing in the middle of an open field filled with goblin explosives. He casts Divine Shield just before the explosion.

Would the paladin be affected by ragdoll? Or will the Divine Shield force him into the position, like a force-field would? I tried looking for WoW books to answer this question, but I couldn't find any. Thoughts?
I think the divine shield would protect him from just about anything, but ICly it would only last for like a split second so it wouldn't be very effective to use in combat. Plus it would use a lot of energy so the paladin would be exhausted for quite some time afterwards.
Be aware, for the first case, that the shield lasts only a few seconds. You would survive the initial collapse, and when the bubble soon broke everything it held back would come down and kill you.

For the rest of this, I think Paladins would be thrown around and could snap their necks and surely break bones even if the bubble stopped the fire and shrapnel.
Kaghuros Wrote:Be aware, for the first case, that the shield lasts only a few seconds. You would survive the initial collapse, and when the bubble soon broke everything it held back would come down and kill you.

Now I wonder why the Divine Shield can even be IC! LOL Seems a bit pointless if you'll die anyway.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I always thought of it as a divine light that surrounds the paladin acting as a shield protecting him from all harm for a short while.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
Does the paladin become an immovable object? My argument for this is if the paladin was about to be crushed by a boulder, and he actives divine shield, will the boulder force him into the ground? Will it bounce off him? Or will it crack?
I can imagine that once hit, he'll just go flying due to the force. Unless he was heavier than a boulder, in which case you'd have to be quite large...
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Yes, of course. But Kaghuros said that in the case of an explosion, his neck would be broken and other body parts would be harmed due to the force. But if he hits the ground/wall/spikes before the twelve seconds, he should still be safe, right?

Or.. is there an aspect of Divine Shield I am not understanding?
My belief is that Divine Shield puts an invulnerable barrier around the Paladin for 8 seconds, but the Paladin is still subject to physics. If you put a boulder on him, he would fall under it's weight and be crushed when the shield ended.
I am fine with this as long as a conclusion is put through. If nobody argues a different viewpoint, this is how I will be RPing Divine Shield from now on.

Thanks for the input, Kag!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Divine Magic and You - A Dummy's Guide to the Divine Theik 1 1,291 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Einhander