The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Doing Damage: A Quick Reference Guide
Doing Damage
A quick reference guide to injury and death

Table of Contents:
(Search by number to jump to a section.)
Spoiler:
Introduction
Using This Guide
1.0.0: The Guide
- 1.1.0: Head
- 1.2.0: Neck
- 1.3.0: Torso
  • o 1.3.1: Shoulders
    o 1.3.2: Upper Chest
    o 1.3.3: Lower Chest
    o 1.3.4: Stomach
    o 1.3.5: Waist
    o 1.3.6: Groin
- 1.4.0: Extremities
  • o 1.4.1: Arms
    o 1.4.2: Legs
    o 1.4.3: Hands
    o 1.4.4: Feet
    o 1.4.5: Tail
- 9.9.9: Miscellaneous
Introduction:
The art and institution of making war is undoubtedly one of mankind's earliest achievements. The history of the world is, in many ways, purely a history of conflict: a struggle against not only the enemy, but against entropy and the very sands of time. There is both wisdom and truth in the adage that claims that the history of our world is one that has been written by the victors. Here at Conquest of the Horde, the drama of armed combat is never far away -- this is, after all, the World of Warcraft.

Using This Guide:
War itself comes with the implied risk of death. That is the entire goal: to incapacitate the enemy to the point where they may no longer pose any threat to either you or your people -- regardless of whether the enemy is a single individual or an entire nation.

Weapons used in a conflict have a larger or smaller chance of inflicting an incapacitating (or fatal) injury. A stone thrown from the hand, for instance, will not hit with the same bone-shattering, four-inches-of-solid-oak-piercing force of a longbow's clothyard -- all of this is borders on common sense, but all of this is something that must be taken into account when reviewing this guide. When in doubt, the damage effects listed are applicable for an injury caused by a weapon of war -- a sword, an axe, a bow, etc., as opposed to something more primitive, such as sticks or stones.

The purpose of this document is relatively simple: it is a quick-reference, designed to allow you to determine the level of injury your character has taken with what I hope will be some level of accuracy. Allow me to add, however, that the contents of this guide should also, in some cases, help you determine the realism of your continued presence in a fight. Each location listed in the guide has the following sections:

Injury location: Identifies the location of the damage.
Chance of Fatality: Assists with determining the likelihood of death from an injury to this location. Takes treatment into account.
Time to Fatality: Time, in minutes, hours, or days, before a fatal wound to this location will kill the affected individual. May vary: shorter times indicate the presence of a vital organ, and should be used in the event of damage to that organ.
Possible Symptoms of Injury: Possible symptoms of a fatal or non-fatal injury to this location.
Possible Resurrection Complications: Possible post-resurrection complications due to death from an injury to this location.

Now, without further delay, to the guide.

1.0.0: The Guide
1.1.0: Head
Chance of Fatality: Over 90%
Time to Fatality: Instant to 24 Hours
Possible Symptoms of Injury:
  • Bleeding from ears
    Bleeding from eyes
    Bleeding from mouth
    Bleeding from nose
    Confusion
    Difficulty breathing
    Full or partial body paralysis
    Headache
    Loss of balance
    Loss of consciousness
    Loss of memory / full amnesia
    Uneven pupil dilation
    Visible deformity
    Vomiting
Possible Resurrection Complications:
  • Decreased intelligence
    Difficulty breathing
    Full or partial body paralysis
    Loss of balance
    Loss of hearing
    Loss of memory / full amnesia
    Loss of smell
    Loss of speech
    Loss of taste
    Loss of vision
    Moderate to severe disfigurement

1.2.0: Neck
Chance of Fatality: Over 90%
Time to Fatality: Instant to 24 Hours
  • Bleeding from mouth
    Bleeding from nose
    Difficulty breathing
    Difficulty speaking
    Full body paralysis
  • Difficulty breathing
    Full body paralysis
    Loss of speech
    Moderate disfigurement

1.3.0: Torso
1.3.1: Shoulders
Chance of Fatality: Under 30%
Time to Fatality: 1 Hour to Over 3 Days
  • Loss of arm
    Upper arm paralysis
  • Loss of arm
    Upper arm paralysis

1.3.2: Upper Chest
Chance of Fatality: Over 70%
Time to Fatality: Instant to Over 3 Days
  • Bleeding from mouth
    Bleeding from nose
    Coughing
    Coughing up blood
    Difficulty breathing
    Loss of consciousness
  • Coughing
    Decreased lung capacity
    Difficulty breathing

1.3.3: Lower Chest
Chance of Fatality: Over 50%
Time to Fatality: 10 Minutes to Over 3 Days
  • Bleeding from mouth
    Bleeding from nose
    Coughing
    Coughing up blood
    Difficulty breathing
    Loss of consciousness
  • Coughing
    Decreased lung capacity
    Difficulty breathing

1.3.4: Stomach
Chance of Fatality: Over 30%
Time to Fatality: 3 Days to Over 5 Days
  • Bleeding from mouth
    Bloody stool
    Bloody urine
    Decreased appetite
    Excessive thirst
    Internal bleeding
    Internal infection
    Paralysis from pain
    Paralysis from shock
    Vomiting
    Vomiting blood
  • Decreased appetite
    Vomiting

1.3.5: Waist
Chance of Fatality: Over 50%
Time to Fatality: Over 3 Days
  • Bleeding from mouth
    Bloody stool
    Bloody urine
    Decreased appetite
    Excessive thirst
    Internal bleeding
    Internal infection
    Jaundice
    Lower body paralysis
    Paralysis from pain
    Paralysis from shock
    Vomiting
    Vomiting blood
  • Decreased appetite
    Increased chance of death from alcohol
    Increased susceptibility to alcohol
    Increased susceptibility to poisons
    Increased susceptibility to toxins
    Lower body paralysis
    Vomiting

1.3.6: Groin
Chance of Fatality: Over 50% (Special Condition: severed femoral artery, over 99%)
Time to Fatality: Over 3 Days (Special Condition: severed femoral artery, 2 minutes)
  • Bloody stool
    Bloody urine
    Complete loss of blood pressure
    Damage or destruction of genitals
    Inability to pass waste
    Inability to reproduce
    Limp
    Loss of leg
    Lower body paralysis
    Upper leg paralysis
  • Damage or destruction of genitals
    Difficulty passing waste
    Inability to reproduce
    Limp
    Loss of leg
    Lower body paralysis
    Mild to severe disfigurement
    Upper leg paralysis

1.4.0: Extremities
1.4.1: Arms
Chance of Fatality: Under 15%
Time to Fatality: Over 5 Days
  • Bone fractures
    Full or partial arm paralysis
    Inability to form a fist
    Loss of arm
    Weakness
  • Full or partial arm paralysis
    Inability to form a fist
    Loss of arm
    Weakness

1.4.2: Legs
Chance of Fatality: Under 15% (Special Condition: severed femoral artery, over 99%)
Time to Fatality: Over 5 Days (Special Condition: severed femoral artery, 2 minutes)
  • Bone fractures
    Complete loss of blood pressure
    Full or partial leg paralysis
    Limp
    Loss of leg
  • Full or partial leg paralysis
    Limp
    Loss of leg
    Weakness

1.4.3: Hands
Chance of Fatality: Under 10%
  • Bone fractures
    Full or partial hand paralysis
    Inability to form a fist
    Loss of hand
    Loss of sensation
    Swelling
    Weakness
  • Full or partial hand paralysis
    Inability for form a fist
    Loss of hand
    Weakness

1.4.4: Feet
  • Bone fractures
    Full or partial foot paralysis
    Limp
    Loss of foot
    Loss of sensation
    Swelling
    Weakness
  • Full or partial foot paralysis
    Inability to walk extended distances
    Inability to use stirrups
    Limp
    Loss of foot
    Loss of sensation
    Weakness

1.4.5: Tail
  • Bone fractures
    Full or partial tail paralysis
    Inability to ride a mount
    Inability to sit for extended times
    Loss of balance
    Loss of sensation
  • Full or partial tail paralysis
    Inability to ride a mount
    Inability to sit for extended times
    Loss of balance
    Loss of sensation
9.9.9: Miscellaneous
Suffocation/Drowning: The average human can go for 8 minutes before suffering brain damage due to oxygen deprivation. They will lose consciousness some time before this point, however. Note that cold water is a double edged sword: the fifty-fifty-fifty rule applies (50 minutes in 50 degree water = 50% chance of survival), but simultaneously the cold will preserve a drowned human body for a few more precious minutes, allowing a better shot at resuscitation without brain damage.
Strangulation: Less than three minutes. Strangulation is not the same as suffocation -- it is caused by the crushing of the carotid.
Infection: Variable, between 24 hours (cholera) to over a week (mild nfluenza, severe colds, etc).
Untreated broken bone: See internal bleeding.
Bleeding to death via open puncture wound: Variable. 24 hours (a minor cut, but serious enough to require stitches and pressure to staunch the bleeding) to less than 2 minutes (severed femoral artery on the inner thigh).
Bleeding to death via severed limb: Variable. Less than 15 minutes, most likely. Less than 2 minutes if the leg is severed at the thigh.
Bleeding to death via internal bleeding: Variable. 24 hours to less than 5 minutes. The larger risk with damaged organs is the chance of serious internal infection, especially if the stomach or intestines are ruptured.
Burning: Shock and smoke inhalation will kill you dead right quick. It is most likely roughly the same as suffocation. As a note, during medieval times, the victim was often tied to the stake at the throat. The rope was often pulled tight enough that it acted as a garrote, leaving them barely conscious if not downright unconscious.
Freezing: Variable. Hypothermia and exposure kill quickly, though -- see the fifty-fifty-fifty rule above under suffocation/drowning.
I'll add more as I finish it. Please feel free to leave your feedback and suggestions for improvement.
Looks awesome so far.

But I'm curious. All these are done with the idea that it is a blade striking you? Or are these just general 'If you get here, this might happen'
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Xigo Wrote:Looks awesome so far.
Thank you!
Xigo Wrote:But I'm curious. All these are done with the idea that it is a blade striking you? Or are these just general 'If you get here, this might happen'
I'm trying to keep it as general as possible. Certainly the fatality chance and overall damage would be different for say, a stone to the neck rather than a sword or clothyard arrow, but I'm hoping people will take everything with a grain of salt and common sense.

I'm biasing the damage and effects towards the more likely situation, which is manufactured weapons along the lines of swords, axes, hammers, bows, etc. as opposed to more primitive things like sticks and stones.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Pretty snappy, Rent. I like how you added the possible rez drawbacks that people can reference, too.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
Kiffles Wrote:Pretty snappy, Rent. I like how you added the possible rez drawbacks that people can reference, too.
Thank you! I figured it might help some people out. I'm sure there are more options for both symptoms or drawbacks than what I've listed, but I am just putting things down as they come to me.
Very nice! Moved; let me know if you have any issues when continuing with your editing.
Kretol Wrote:Very nice! Moved; let me know if you have any issues when continuing with your editing.
I appreciate it!

I saw it was gone and was saying to myself, "What happened to it!?" before I saw it had been moved.
... Wow.

I'm ashamed of my guide because of this!
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
Azheron Wrote:... Wow.

Hardly! I've used your guide myself. It's an excellent reference.

As far as this guide goes, I invite everyone to let me know if they can think of other symptoms or resurrection effects for these types of injuries. Furthermore, I'm considering using that reserved post I made to build a second part to this guide: injury types, injury extent, and worst affected areas by damage type (blast overpressure, hydrostatic shock, piercing, bludgeoning, slashing, etc.) Your thoughts?
Head injuries might promote memory loss. Straight up amnesia in some cases. Rez complication might be loss of all memory. Not just 'I don't know people and places and events'. I mean straight up 'I know as much as an infant again.' Or maybe the other case, if you don't want to roleplay a walking child.

...I really need to stop saying straight up. I don't know how it happened. But I'm saying it alot lately.

I think I have a straight up problem. (That was on purpose.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Xigo Wrote:Head injuries might promote memory loss. Straight up amnesia in some cases. Rez complication might be loss of all memory. Not just 'I don't know people and places and events'. I mean straight up 'I know as much as an infant again.' Or maybe the other case, if you don't want to roleplay a walking child.

...I really need to stop saying straight up. I don't know how it happened. But I'm saying it alot lately.

I think I have a straight up problem. (That was on purpose.
That's a straight up good idea! I've made memory loss / total amnesia a subset of the damage. I also added confusion and loss of balance.
This is a fantastic guide! I'll certainly be reading this over next time I'm mortally wounded (IC that is, of course).
"Why... when he was a young warthog..!"
"WHEN I WAS A YOUNG WARTHOOOOOOOG!"
"Ow. Very nice..."
rentreality Wrote:
Azheron Wrote:... Wow.

Hardly! I've used your guide myself. It's an excellent reference.

As far as this guide goes, I invite everyone to let me know if they can think of other symptoms or resurrection effects for these types of injuries. Furthermore, I'm considering using that reserved post I made to build a second part to this guide: injury types, injury extent, and worst affected areas by damage type (blast overpressure, hydrostatic shock, piercing, bludgeoning, slashing, etc.) Your thoughts?

... I wonder how you used my guide as a reference, it was about disguises? Hurm?
Azheron's back in business. For reals.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simply Enchanting - A guide to the most magical of arts Kaghuros 10 3,173 09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Getting your profile accepted quickly: A guide Xigo 2 2,473 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  Sacrilege of Fatal Arms, a guide to armor and weapons. Jeff 19 8,932 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Last Post: QuantumLegacy
  Surviving CotH for New Players: A guide Reigen 30 20,789 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Reigen
  'Kill On Sight' Guide Xigo 40 13,694 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Killazer