11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 605
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 3875
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 87727
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3235
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3478

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Eee.
So, having recently found out that I have a stash of cash hidden I've decided to finally invest in a netbook/notebook/mini-laptop/wahevva the problem I have is that I don't know what to get, I've already asked everyone I know so I thought I'd see if there's anyone here who got some insight on what's good and not.

The two I've been looking at mostly are these two:

Asus Eee PC S101
Asus Eee PC 1005HA

If you got a better idea I'd love to hear your recommendation.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

PM
What are you going to use it for?

What is your price range?

How is your current computer?
[Image: Signature.png]
PM
I'm going to use it for work, writing mostly.

The price "roof" would be about 1000 USD or 600 GBP.

My current computer is stationary, hehe.

PM
Either of those are alright if you're only looking for a work solution, mind you the extent of gaming capabilities will be limited to minesweeper and free cell. Remember that you get what you pay for, though Asus is generally a respectable brand.

Make sure they are sporting a QWERTY keyboard because sometimes netbooks don't and thus whenever you switch from netbook to desktop your fingers will be screwed.
PM
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind.

As for games... well, I have a feeling that a lack of gaming capability might be a good thing, hehe.

The only thing that worries me is that my favourite, the S101, might be shit, Cressy (*points finger*) said she'd used one a few weeks back and that it had died or something after some use.

PM
Well that is standard, I mean some of them will break, it isn't manufactured very well I'd imagine due to the price. But on average it should last longer than a year. It's to the company's disadvantage to produce a product that breaks within its' warrenty. So generally if a product is going to break early it will do so shortly after the warrenty expires.
PM
I have the 1005 and have had it for about 4 months.... No problems to speak of. Of course, my computer standards are pretty low since I've mostly had my hands on hand me downs.... but anyway, I run mine with dual monitors, unplug and take it to class sometimes, and I can even run WoW reasonably well on it. The keyboard is in fact narrower than standard but unless I'm taking it somewhere I just run a USB keyboard and mouse with it. It's not that hard to adapt to, I just had the toys so I figured I'd used them. I don't have any issues using it in class and then coming home to the full size keyboard.

The only things I suggest taking into consideration are the operating system and CD drive. Make sure you get a netbook that specifically comes with whatever OS you want, since a lot of them come with their own 'streamlined' OS. I know this is the case for Eee and the Acer netbooks. Also, very few (if any?) of these come with a CD/DVD drive so you may want to consider buying one or downloading everything. If you do get a peripheral drive, you shouldn't have any problems. I've played movies from the external drive, through the netbook to my big monitor with excellent results.

That's all I can really think of at the moment... sorry if any of it was already known or painfully obvious... If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Bury me on my feet. I have lived my entire life on my knees.
PM