The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Elf Hearing.
I ususally pretend I cant ICly hear the people talking unless I can see them on my screen. Works so far just fine for me.
Lower the flags, a good man has passed.
He has reached the last of frontiers.
Lower the flags, down to half-mast.
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse.

My Gallery.
Seraphim Wrote:
Spiralin Wrote:Seraph that made absolutely no sense to me, honestly. So basically what I got from it is if I'm in a completely enclosed space surrounding me from top, around, and below are 6 feet sound-proof walls and I say something in say, they are allowed to hear me.

Yep!

To clarify, it's not that it's 'allowed' - it's more that you need to take preventative measures, as others above have said.
This attitude of "It's your responsibility to prevent", not "Their responsibility to do good RP and not meta" as a primary response makes me a sad panda.

I think it's awesome to have to RP blocking out info your character desn't have as a player. Even when I'm speaking a race-specific language, I often just add [Thalassian]/[Troll]/etc. and let Common on OOC so that the players (not characters) get the enjoyment of what is happening around.

Even if I'm sure that you can't 'get away with it', this thread seems to give the message of shifting the responsibility from bad RP-ers who deserve a smacking around for it onto all other players who now have to pull OOC stops to illustrate the obvious. Sad panda.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
DaveM, it seems that you didn't read what I first said. It's not that it's 'allowed'

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to state the obvious, but it seems it would be best to: If people are indeed meta-gaming by saying they can hear through 6 ft. concrete or a similar soundproof enclosure, then yes, it would be advisable to report them. It's just silly to continue assuming that no-one else will take advantage of emotes and whatnot when they shouldn't be 'hearing' them anyway. Preventative measures, as has been said.
It's kinda like keeping people from metagaming so we don't need to pull away GMs that are busy to deal with the train-wreck rp that would ensue :B
This thread is becoming ridiculously repetitive.
"Everybody sees what you appear to be, few feel what you are..."
-Niccolò Machiavelli
Seraphim Wrote:If you /say it or /emote it, assume people can hear you. That's Elves, Dwarves, Tauren, Forsaken, Bunnies, Dinosaurs, Ninja, and Mechanostriders. Everyone can hear you, if they see it on their screen.

If you don't want it to be heard, say it in /party or /whisper. If you insist on emoting so that people don't think you're erping or AFK or if you're in a bar, do something like, "Ernest mutters quietly under his breath to Algernon," after you've written the text out in /party.

Are we all clear on that?

Hmm...well I see where you're coming from with this Seraphim, but it makes me sad in this case, because I feel that keeping the confines of my conversation a secret OOCly from people (depending on the situation) is kind of bad, because what if I want someone to OOCly hear something, but not ICly? I feel it gives more depth to the situation, and people watching can be like, "Oh wow...that RP is interesting. I might have to try and get my character involved somehow!" And then contact some of the RPers asking if it'd be remotely possible.

I know it is the rules...but are there exceptions? What if you make an OOC note in /1 saying that you'd like people to hear it OOCly but it would be obviously impossible for them to hear ICly. I'm just musing I suppose.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Kretol Wrote:DaveM, it seems that you didn't read what I first said. It's not that it's 'allowed'

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to state the obvious, but it seems it would be best to: If people are indeed meta-gaming by saying they can hear through 6 ft. concrete or a similar soundproof enclosure, then yes, it would be advisable to report them. It's just silly to continue assuming that no-one else will take advantage of emotes and whatnot when they shouldn't be 'hearing' them anyway. Preventative measures, as has been said.

Exactly. It's up to the players to prevent metagaming or report it. The GM's responsibility is to punish people for it. GM's aren't always on, so the screenshot key is your friend.
Pain is an illusion.
Aphetoros Wrote:I feel it gives more depth to the situation, and people watching can be like, "Oh wow...that RP is interesting. I might have to try and get my character involved somehow!" And then contact some of the RPers asking if it'd be remotely possible.

I know it is the rules...but are there exceptions? What if you make an OOC note in /1 saying that you'd like people to hear it OOCly but it would be obviously impossible for them to hear ICly. I'm just musing I suppose.

Feel free. If you want to work an arrangement out with people beforehand, or if you trust the people around not to metagame, go for it. I'm just saying that if you honestly don't want people to know what you're scheming, with absolutely no chance of it coming back to you ICly, don't do it in a way that others could see.

Even if you work it out with a certain group of friends, a random person could walk up, not having heard your previous OOC note, and just assume that it's cool if they hear. Thus drama ensues, and we're back to square one.

/say and /emote at your own risk, is what it comes down to.

Edit: Oh, and if you have a situation where you make a public announcement saying you want to emote and not be heard, and someone in the area doesn't agree to those terms, sorry, you're out of luck. You can't force people to be okay with it, and I promise you that nobody wants to read the debate between the two of you in any chat channels. If this happens, take it to party chat, write stuff down, and put it up on the forums, if you really want everyone to read without knowing ICly.
[Image: UzMPvzA.gif]
And while I'm sure we'd all love to be able to say our schemes and what not freely, and are disappointed that metagaming even happens, just understand that the GMs are not cheater-seeking missiles. I am assuming they would love it if people did not metagame, but unfortunately they cannot ensure that. The GMs cannot be everywhere at once, and thus some rules are hard to enforce.

Thus, please, take measures to prevent others from being able to metagame.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Ah, well yes thank you everyone. You to Kretol as you cleared up Seraph's response that completely confused me. Thanks all for feedback.