The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Everything is "Unknown"
I stopped playing Retail WoW right before MoP came out, so it was already up-to-date with the last Cata patch (which is the current patch of the server), so thankfully I didn't have to do any re-installing or re-patching.

I've successfully created an account here on the website and logged into it in-game. I've also successfully created a character and logged in as that character.

The issue I'm having is that every NPC in the game is marked as "Unknown," and attackable NPCs can't actually be attacked (like if you try to cast a spell, the cast animation and sound will play, but the spell won't actually cast). Additionally, once I'm logged in and past the loading screen, I can't log out or exit the game without force quitting.

I tried moving my WTF file to force the creation of a new one. That didn't fix the issue. I also tried moving the WDB folder inside the Cache folder to, again, force the creation of a new one. That didn't work either.

I'm playing on Mac, if that matters. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, as soon as I made my character, I started off at level 60. I dunno if that was supposed to happen or not. I've also ensured that all addons are disabled, of course.

Needs moar slopes imo
Needs moar archaeology imo
Level 60 is automatic. Did you delete your cache?
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

There are two DLs on the forums for the game itself. One is a 'normal' version and one is a version for Mac. Did you DL the Mac version? Otherwise, try and delete your cache.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
If you're using your retail folder of 4.3.4, you'll likely need to patch your Wow.exe file. Check this post for a link to a patched Wow.exe, or check this site if you want to patch your Wow.exe file yourself (you'll want the very last 4.3.4.15354 file). Be sure to make a copy of your existing Wow.exe file first! Also, rename your Launcher file if you haven't already to avoid accidentally running it.
(09-16-2013, 01:41 AM)Kretol Wrote: If you're using your retail folder of 4.3.4, you'll likely need to patch your Wow.exe file. Check this post for a link to a patched Wow.exe, or check this site if you want to patch your Wow.exe file yourself (you'll want the very last 4.3.4.15354 file). Be sure to make a copy of your existing Wow.exe file first! Also, rename your Launcher file if you haven't already to avoid accidentally running it.

I am using my retail folder of 4.3.4a. Perhaps that's the source of the problem? I was hoping to avoid a lengthy re-installation because I happened to have a retail folder that was still patched to 4.3.4a since I stopped playing when Mists of Pandaria came out and never upgraded to 5.x. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I'm on Mac and not PC, and I see your ownedcore link only has .exe installers, so I'm SOL there. If I have to do a fresh install, I will, of course.

Before that, though, I'll try deleting my cache folder when I get home in a little bit and see what happens.

EDIT: Tried moving my cache folder to force the creation of a new one and that did nothing. :(

EDIT2: I tried logging in a few times with my firewall off, too, and the problem persisted, so it's not a firewall-related problem.

EDIT3: If I can't get it to work with my Mac retail version, I'll probably just give up on trying to get it to work on Mac altogether instead of trying to torrent a fresh mac DL and instead torrent WoW on my PC partition (Bootcamp). I was hoping to avoid having to do this since my PC partition has limited space, but torrenting the mac WoW from the link posted elsewhere on these forums will take a loooooong time (since it appears there's only 7 or 8 seeders). That said, my mac retail version is definitely 4.3.4a, I checked a thousand times, so I dunno what the issue could be.

Needs moar slopes imo
There is a guide specifically for Mac users to get 4.3.4 running. I can't locate it at the moment because I'm on a mobile device, but I believe it's linked from the Mac client download in the downloads section, or from my global announcement regarding connecting to the server.

Edit: Now that I'm on my computer, I found it for you: Read this!
(09-16-2013, 10:34 AM)Kretol Wrote: There is a guide specifically for Mac users to get 4.3.4 running. I can't locate it at the moment because I'm on a mobile device, but I believe it's linked from the Mac client download in the downloads section, or from my global announcement regarding connecting to the server.

Edit: Now that I'm on my computer, I found it for you: Read this!

Yeah, I saw that thread earlier. What it's doing (what I think it's doing, anyway) is telling you how to make the torrented version of Mac WoW, which on its own can't be opened, openable by changing its permissions to match those of your computer. This only applies to the torrented version; my retail version already has its permissions correctly configured because, well, it's the retail game installed directly onto my computer, not torrented.

Again, my goal was to NOT have to use the torrented version of Mac WoW in the first place, since I have this retail version that's supposed to be right where it needs to be in terms of patching and I'd rather not have to DL all those extra gigs.

That said, I've exhausted all my options trying to make my retail WoW work, so I think I'm left with no other choice than to download the torrented mac version, change its permissions as instructed in that thread, and see what happens. Thankfully my torrent client found another 15 seeders or so, turning a 30+ hour DL into a ~6 hour DL, which isn't awful.

And if that fails, I'll try torrenting the PC version on my windows partition. It's only got 50 gigs of space left and resizing the partition's a major pain, but, y'know, it is what it is.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Needs moar slopes imo
The permissions are specifically set so that you don't have issues similar to what you are describing. While part of that guide is instructing you to get the Torrent, the rest will apply to you. Hopefully @Reigen will respond here with her own experiences.
I tried the same thing back when I played cata retail. It would not work for coth no matter what I did, so I had to go and download the torrent anyway and that on it's own was a pain because at the time, there was -no- mac version for 4.3.4. For some reason, once a mac client connects to retail, it just does not want to work right on private servers. Mine would always launch the patcher, even if I started it from the WoW.app and not the launcher app.

The torrent along with the instructions I posted have never given me any problem, else I would have warned about it in the thread.
If it wasn't for the quotation marks, this'd be one deep thread.
(09-16-2013, 11:56 AM)Reigen Wrote: For some reason, once a mac client connects to retail, it just does not want to work right on private servers.

The DL finished, I set the permissions in the package contents, and now everything seems to be working great (let's hope I'm not speaking too soon).

I guess the bottom line on mac is that even if your retail WoW folder is correctly patched, you STILL have to download the torrented WoW app to play CotH. For future newcomers using Mac I'd advise them to start DLing the torrent ASAP (especially since it only has a handful of seeders) and not waste any time trying make it work with your retail client--even if your retail client is already 4.3.4a--because no matter what you do to the cache or anything else it just doesn't seem to work on retail.

Thanks to all above for your help. My issue has been resolved. :D

(09-16-2013, 12:02 PM)Nymus Wrote: If it wasn't for the quotation marks, this'd be one deep thread.

Yeah, it was pretty Platonic walking through WoW with everything, from the deer to the NPCs to the very spells on your casting bar, listed as "Unknown."

Needs moar slopes imo
Very glad to hear things worked out for you in the end! See you around! :D
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Unknown" NPCs, Can't Use Skills hiddengecko 1 1,689 04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Last Post: hiddengecko
  Unknown Beltharean 9 1,538 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Scout
  Unknown Bug HolyHiveMind 1 766 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Last Post: mrsandan