The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Faces
Hey guys. I was just curious as to the effect of hats and hoods around here. Is it safe to assume that if you walk into a room of people who know you but you're wearing a hooded mask, they won't know it's you ICly? What's the deal with this on this server? Just curious. It may affect how I rp in the near future... :twisted:

In real life, it could depend on how well you actually know this person. You could recognize their physique, their voice, blah blah blah, but this is WoW, where unless specified otherwise, everyone of the same race/gender combination looks exactly the same if you cover their faces.

Opinions? Thoughts? Pre-set rules on this that I just haven't found anywhere?
"Time is our greatest teacher. Unfortunately, it kills most of its' pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz
I doubt there are really any pre-set rules for this. Distinguishing marks or scars, voice, height, size, and even scent could all lead to recognition from one who knows the character well enough. It all depends on how perceptive a character is, or how well the hooded one hides their appearance. This.....Just makes sense, to me in any case. I'm not sure how others would feel about it. Some characters might hide their identity quite well, while others don't. I remember when Rakk was speaking with Tobala when the ol' troll was attempting to hide his identity. I spoke with him OOCly to see how distinguishable he was, and then had Rakk assume that it was him. Feh, just my thoughts.
Well I -always- have my character (Narijiko) hidden under her Troll mask, which covers her real face, but it makes it easy to distinguish her because there is only one other person with that same mask, so mostly anyone who's seen me before ICly can recognize the mask right off the bat and know it's me, but there are few that can recognize her actual face and the funny thing is that most probably won't so it kinda has the reverse affect of what your are talking about, if any of that babble made any sense at all. xD
[Image: badge.jpg]
Huh, I guess I am what my main is. o.O
The best way is to emote out how your character looks at the moment when meeting other players, that way they know what the can see and if they would/could be able to identify the character or not.

And Narijika, there´s loads of people with that that mask. ^,^
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

In planeshift, a game I played before migrating to CoTH, they had something I like to call "Magic hoods." Nothing in game or official, but every character and his extended family wore a hood, "Hiding his face." Not a mask, no cloth covering anything, just a hood. It was -horribly- unrealistic, -extremely- annoying, and was really the most widely accepted form of godmodding in existence. I would hate it to see any of that go on here. Put on a hat or hood and tilt your head down, and sit in a corner. And make it be very dark. And yeah, it'll work. But a bright and sunny day in Elwynn and you're walking around with a hood that blocks all light? Be reasonable.

Voice, body language, scent and appearance are all basic factors in recognizing someone. Get FlagRSP2 to note down recognizable features of your own characters, use whispers to see if there's anything else you'd be able to find in regard to that other guy. Communicate OOCly to stop any problems from occurring.

Edit: To clarify, "What Rakk said." Several posts were posted in the process of posting this post. Er... yeah.
Paint. (It's red now!)
Hm... yeah. I see what your saying there painty. When I played NWN, I was on a custom RP server (a very good server overall) but they had this thing where ICly, 99% of the people on the server were horribly, horribly racist against a race called the Half-Orcs. They were the biggest race in the game, very muscley and whatnot, but they had (I guess latex or something, lol) "human masks" that an orc could wear and all the sudden nobody cared. They even coded it so the npcs fell for it. It was kind of funny until one of the IC guards walked up to me and did the old act of, "Hey... *takes a closer look* thats a mask! *Rips it off revealking your tusks and scaley green skin to the people around you* GASP!" Very annoying.

And with the hoods, I don't mean just hoods. They don't really hide faces well at all. I mean like the hood masks (Like this: http://thottbot.com/i16707) So you can only see the eyes.
"Time is our greatest teacher. Unfortunately, it kills most of its' pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz
Hehe... never played any RP servers, but nwn and nwn2 got that way. I enjoyed having a low-charisma dwarf and have everyone call me ugly-- but that's beside the point here.

If your friend is wearing a new outfit and a mask, yes, probably. If you encounter a stranger once masked and once not masked, then sorry, you're out of luck. Also, characters are definitely not omniscient, nor should all of them have super-attentiveness not worked deeeeeeeply into their character's personality history and alignment.
Paint. (It's red now!)
Painty Wrote:Hehe... never played any RP servers, but nwn and nwn2 got that way. I enjoyed having a low-charisma dwarf and have everyone call me ugly-- but that's beside the point here.

Haha. On the rp server, me and this other guy playing a dwarf just beat up anyone who came near us with a bad attitude. Made for some good bar fights.

Also, what? That last sentence seems to have two meanings, neither of which are making it into my brain. lol