The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Flux's Introduction
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:
I would probably define myself as 'casual plus' in my playing habits: I do go out of my way to research lore stuff and theorycraft a little bit so I can be more useful/make the game easier on myself, but I don't bleed myself dry for half a percent of DPS/healing/effective health. I like to be knowledgable about what I'm doing, but I'm not going to berate others for not knowing as much as I do; the way I figure it, however much I know or how good I am, someone else knows more/is better, which helps me keep perspective.

When I'm playing, I tend to stay on the move as much as possible, exploring new areas or farming materials or looking for new and interesting things to kill/befriend. I don't mind sitting around in cities, but it's not my favorite way to spend my time.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

USA and English, respectively. Specifically I'm from the Chicagoland area, so I guess 'bad English' is my real primary language.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

Basically, I was looking for an RP outlet after my real life RP groups imploded around the time of Wrath being released, so I signed up for an account and bounced RP off people until I found people who would stick around. I tried other MMOs but either mechanical stuff interfered (I didn't like the way the game played or how classes were laid out or whatever), or an inability to find cool people to RP with (since even among nerds, there are limits that some won't cross).

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I typed 'WoW RP private servers' into Google on a lark, and CotH was the first 'legitimate'-looking result. I liked that you seem to have a lot of respect for WoW lore and for proper writing/character development techniques. I'd rather be around people who are more diligent about these things than less, given some of the horror stories I've found in my travels.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I like RPing out in the open world and having adventures with fun people. Sitting around in inns or whatever is fine, but it's not my first choice.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

That's a shockingly hard question considering I have at least a mild level of alt-itis. My first and most played character was a human paladin (a decision originally based on wanting to tank but finding warriors too hard to play), but I really love the tauren, gnomes, and dwarves.

Tauren have a really cool take on the 'stoic peaceful nature-lovers' trope; in a war-torn world where the average high-level character can crack the world like an egg, they still take time to honor the flowers and the beasts and so on. They seem to be the most sensible of the races in a lot of ways, which also makes them interesting to play in a world full of things that make not even the slightest bit of sense.

The gnomes have this boundless intelligence despite being relegated to comic relief, and I think that struggle of capability versus expectations is something worth tapping. It's far too easy to make a gnome who is Napoleon as portrayed by Bart Simpson, or a living thesaurus set to 'pretentious pseudoscience' (and don't get me started on the wannabe Kender...). Gnomes can be so much more, like outwardly friendly yet canny and ruthless businessmen and tactical geniuses who put their intellect towards directing troops rather than creating magic arrays.

The dwarves, meanwhile, are just a stereotype I love to play, the hard-playing and hard-working dreadnaughts and craftsmen who live beneath the mountain. At the same time, the dwarven clan history is outrageously bloody and their politics and social conflicts - the drive towards scientific/historical exploration while still keeping true to their Manly Swarthy Warrior Dude culture - are surprisingly deep (so to speak). In much the same way that orcs are more than just bruisers and berserkers, dwarves are more than a monument to alcohol and how it cures and causes all problems.

After playing a little bit of every class, I think Elemental/Restoration Shaman is my favorite setup. I like being able to be both a healer and a damage dealer, and I especially like being at range; as far as lore goes, the Shaman seem to be at a good halfway point between keeping the peace and actively trying to do something about everything going wrong with the world. All that said, I've gotten enjoyment out of all the classes at some point or another, and I'm always coming up with new concepts.

What are your expectations of this server?:

I'd like to play with reasonably intelligent and fun individuals, going around in the world (of Warcraft), causing trouble and righting wrongs in equal measure. I'll settle for a place to fight internet dragons and pretend I'm a minotaur that shoots lightning.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

Probably the 'waiting period' and writing sample required for getting max level/transmog gear. As mentioned above, the committment you have for teaching people to write/develop characters and storylines is refreshing. A lot of RP communities are permissive to the point of encouraging all sorts of awful things just to bolster their player bases (not just bad quality writing and characters, but actively encouraging unsportsmanlike infighting/OOC drama). I get the feeling that your rules are there to make your community a better place and help your player base learn to write better, not to just flex a sense of elitism over 'lesser' RPers.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

Long ago, there was a great warrior, a captain of Stormwind. He wielded the finest Dwarven weapons and trained every day to increase his strength and tactical mind. He strode into battle atop a magnificent and well-trained horse, and fought with honor and humility. He never met a foe he could not best in fair combat. Perhaps that is why his rival resorted to poison, to weaken his body and make him an easy target for an assassin's arrow in the heat of battle. Well before his time, the great warrior fell, and he was honored by his country for his service.

Not that long ago, the footsteps of a gnome trampled the dirt of the great warrior's grave. He was accompanied by the clatter of glass phials and a dirty cough from the grave dust and other toxic regeants within his pack. Grumbling to himself, the gnomish man set to work, periodically knocking his gnarled fist against the ground.

Within the darkness of the great warrior's casket, there was a voice. Indistinct at first, its whispers clawed at his deaf ears in a vain attempt at gaining attention. The whispers pushed into his inert mind. With time, the great warrior's eyes opened towards the stars above. Even through his burial uniform, the sensation of grass and earth under him seems a thousand miles away. A hand waves in front of his face, drawing his leaden attention briefly. "About time!" A different voice than from inside the casket smokily rasps to his left. "Thought I were losin' my edge! Guess I'm still the best!"

The great warrior lurched up into a sitting position, his head lolling side to side a few times before resting his chin on his chest. As he glanced to his hands, their graying flesh oily with the residue of worm infestation, they turned palm up without any feeling or sensation or urge traveling up his arms. His eyes refused to blink.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he only understood a small number of concepts. Chief among these concepts was servitude, servitude to the stubby gnomish man to his left. He found a few other images while wrapping his mind around servitude, images of a parade, and before that a great battle. As distant words from his owner bounce off his ears, the great warrior's grasp on the images shifted away like sand. Soon, his leaking mind was lost without his owner.

"Now stand up!" The gnomish man allowed the great warrior some space to stumble to his feet. "That's it... That's the stuff!" His new possession in tow, the little man smooths out his simple robe and sets about collecting the various apparatuses and alchemical flasks necessary for his craft. "Come on, old boy! I think this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

Your guides for accessing the server/developing a character/etc. have been quite comprehensive. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get more involved with the community.

I'd like to know more about the Alliance server lore, though, since the wiki's current paragraph seems to cut off randomly at "For the Alliance, Deathwing's direct attack of Stormwind has left".
Hello! I'm flammos200(Just Flammos is fine too.), and it's my pleasure to welcome you to CoTH!

Now, be sure to read up on the Rules and Policies if you haven't already, and if you need help Creating a Character, you can find some on the Wiki, or take a gander at some of the Profiles there, to familiarize yourself with some of the people you might meet on CoTH.

Other than that, lore-wise, we're at the start of Cataclysm, more or less. Stormwind got clawed a bit by Deathwing, and the Park District is now a gaping hole.

I approve greatly(and I'm not the only one) of your choice of favorite race'n class. I suppose the image of the Tauren Shaman sprinkling herbs off a clifftop was pretty powerful for the impressionable(and younger) me.

We're rather hardcore when it comes to RP. So much so that we eschew mechanics as far as combat is concerned. More often than not, you'll see people having 'rollfights'. I.E. Emoting, and then /roll-ing, much in the way something like tabletop RP is played.

Thanks for the story! You have a pretty interesting writing style. Oh, and deep dish pizza is the best.

But hey, if you need any more help or have any more questions, feel free to PM a GM or Forum Helper like yours truly. Seriously. PMs never killed anyone... yet.

See you around!
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Hey! Welcome to the server!

We recently implemented a new Mentor Program on the server. It's entirely voluntary and supposed to be part of the Introduction process, but I think you may've copied the template right before we edited it.

In either case, do read a bit about what the Mentor Program is and let us know here if you'd like to sign up for it!

Love,
Loxxy
Welcome! :D
Thanks for the quick approval and the warm welcome! And yes, deep dish is the best pizza, haha.

It'll probably be a bit before I finalize my character apps, just doing the due lore diligence to make sure I don't accidentally create something that completely annihilates the lore. I'm pretty knowledgeable, but I don't want to miss dates or cause-and-effect/order of events (e.g. I don't want to make a Ravenholdt-associated character that was around before Ravenholdt was created, things like that).

Anyway, I'll get my apps in sometime soon (today/tomorrow/before the heat death of the universe) and I'll see you guys around!
No rush, amigo! We'd prefer you got RPing before the heat death of the universe as mentioned, though.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]