The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Are you interested in a MUD, and what themes do you like?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am interested in RPing on a MUD if one is created.
20.25%
33 20.25%
High Fantasy - Epic heroes and powerful magic.
13.50%
22 13.50%
Low Fantasy - Less magic and more humble heroes.
13.50%
22 13.50%
Dark Fantasy - Gothic/horror elements.
16.56%
27 16.56%
Steampunk - Or other "science fantasy" elements.
11.66%
19 11.66%
Faction/Race War - Factional war, think like Alliance/Horde from WoW.
9.20%
15 9.20%
United Front - Most everyone on the same side against a larger threat. Think Guild Wars 2.
11.66%
19 11.66%
Other suggestions, posting below.
3.68%
6 3.68%
Total 163 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

For those potentially interested in Mudding...
For the uninitiated, a MUD is a multi-user dungeon...think the entirely text-based precursor to the modern MMO. Silly graphics just hold them back!

In fact, they kind of do. Following the drop of CotH itself, Kretol and I talked about it and the idea of running a MUD came up. I know he's mentioned it before to some people, but the idea has been getting traction and we may be making a serious attempt at it. This gives us a number of advantages over running CotH...it being perfectly legal is a big one, but also the lack of reliance on graphics means that we're more open to creating our own world and developing our own lore without being reliant on the game engine or Warcraft's setting.

So this leads to the question posed in this thread, detailing the kind of setting that we are going to be creating, and seeing if there is enough interest to go ahead with it. The idea will almost certainly be medieval fantasy of some sort, though we have a number of possibilities going in.

Covering myself here, but disclaimer: I am in no way binding myself to the results of the poll. This is just an interest check.

I do have a number of my own ideas already forming, taking inspiration from a number of sources. Since Kretol is sort of putting me in charge of general world-building for this idea, I'll mention that I enjoy making settings that put new spins on old cliches, or otherwise go outside the box a bit. A few lesser-known games are inspiring certain ideas for me (in particular, "Tales of Maj'eyal" and "Geneforge", if you're curious,) but let's see what everyone wants to see.

The current plan, if we go ahead with this, is to get a basic area, race list, and class list out so that basic RP can begin, and worry about the actual game mechanics after that. We'll be using CoffeeMUD as a base, which is easy to edit and is still seeing active development. It has a number of neat features, like us being able to edit a large number of aspects of the game from the web browser instead of in-game. Once we have an idea of the direction we're going, specifically, I'll be making a checklist and begin work. Again, if there's interest in seeing this project take off.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
If this MUD has playable goblins, I am interested.

That is all.
I want to roll around in the MUD. Geddit? Ha. I'm funny.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Lovecraftian MUD plzkthx.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
How difficult is it to program 'Mon-type games? With so many altoholics on Coth, if we could somehow tie our many characters to one concept, it could be nice. Inspired by Sachi's recent plans, yes, but also by things like the Dragonriders of Pern.
I don't think we can do anything explicitly like Pokemon. ...well, we possibly -could- but it'd be hard to do. It should be alright though for the altoholics: multi-boxing is extremely easy on MUDs due to them not being CPU intensive at all. Pet classes are also possible, though I'd have to see how to work with those. That would be a later thought.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
I like the idea of a high-fantasy setting for a MUD, and possibly even a Warcraft theme to continue the stories of our characters. Though I have to ask, since it's not on the list, have you considered a science fiction theme? I'm a huge fan of gritty FTL tabletop games like Traveller, Eclipse Phase, and Diaspora. I don't know if there are any good scifi MUD systems, but it may be worth a thought.
Steampuuuuuunk!
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I like the idea of a MUD; if I were to have executive, singular control over it, it'd be a low-tech, stellar sci-fi kind of setting, but I'm not! I would like most settings, horror being second on my list in terms of sheer interest, but I could very easily go for another fantasy setting.
Lovecraftian horror steampunk.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
I'm up for anything, although I'd really like to approach horror/dark fantasy because it's the most challenging to present correctly (especially with RP by itself), pushes us to improve our skills as RPers. 

Also I thought this was going to be a thread about mud wrestling. 
[Image: anim_500.gif]
All of the above and MOOOOAR.

....No, really. I am actually plotting to do Nintendo-verse RP with the MUD I was testing out, but that didn't go anywhere as I lack the technical know-how.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
(02-05-2015, 11:21 PM)ImagenAshyun Wrote: All of the above and MOOOOAR.

....No, really. I am actually plotting to do Nintendo-verse RP with the MUD I was testing out, but that didn't go anywhere as I lack the technical know-how.

...You know, I recently did a "Wreck it Ralf" style RP with someone over skype, and it was brilliant fun.  We set some basic rules for like... the timeframe of characters involved, and things like how abilities would "Transistion" from different "Games".
Voted for everything.

gimme

: I
(02-05-2015, 11:30 PM)Harmonic Wrote: ...You know, I recently did a "Wreck it Ralf" style RP with someone over skype, and it was brilliant fun.  We set some basic rules for like... the timeframe of characters involved, and things like how abilities would "Transistion" from different "Games".

That sounds really super fun :|
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]