08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 388
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2842
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85632
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2372
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3414

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

For those who are artists or enjoy art.
Please visit this webpage, read up on the Orphan Works Bills, then write to your your members of Congress and tell them what utter bull it is. (There's even a link at the top for people who don't live in the US, but are concerned.) There's a bunch of links further down the page with form letters, and really simple instructions for sending (they do most of the work for you, beyond a little typing and clicking).
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
My mother in law is having a fit over this. Her life's bussiness is art, and prides herself in selling her work. She's made herself a name around town, and her and the local artist guild here are doing what they can to nip this in the bud.

I also think it's silly. :\ I could go on a political speal about it, but, you have to be in an angry mood for it. I'm feeling way to chipper. >.>
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
All I can say is...
Dot dot dot exclamation point question mark.

What do they expect to accomplish by passing this?
It's bad enough when people steal my art and get caught, but now they can claim legal protection BS if they 'diligently search'.
My art isn't even -worth- stealing and this still bothers the crap out of me.
[Image: kialee.png]
I need a life.
PM
I really, and truly wonder if this has to do with the E-baum's world and Something Awful fights that happen constantly. All because some idiot has to steal crap and put a watermark on it. Tch.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
I must be one of the few people in the related field who actually supports this law.
˜★Sketch Blog
Who steals art seriously?
PM
Lordbluerune Wrote:Who steals art seriously?

There's a guy that goes to my high school who stole his ex-girlfriend's art book, erased her signature off every picture, and put in his own.
It passed off well until I actually looked at the signatures.
He also forgot to write over one of them, and you could still read it.
He's also the sort that traces art and passes it off as his own.

In short, idiots with no talent.
[Image: kialee.png]
I need a life.
PM
The idea that America's congress wants to pass a law that lets theives claim another man/womans hard work disturbs me. I work hard for the things I make and I don't want a worthless, untalented idiot snatching my things. There must be some nutjobs in the United States congress to even think about passing such a law. If America's doing it, who's to say Europe won't do it next? I would start ranting right now but my hand an head are not working together at the moment, I have a hell of a headache.
Vaermina: So cold, yet she feels alive. On Death Row.
Bell: Arrogant yet kind-hearted. Crusader.
Gral'dar: Joyful and Alive.
Valia: Brilliant but easily confused. Expert Scientist/Engineer
Sala'driana: Too Flirtatious for her own good.
PM
Why should people be allowed to steal art if we aren't allowed to get free music and movies that aren't bootleg?
PM
Before everyone who hasn't researched this fully has a knee-jerk reaction, I suggest everyone take a moment to read this and this.

I am not going to say that this law is right, or that there aren't dangers posed if this comes to pass. I'm simply pointing out that this is not the copyright-eating monster that some seem to think that it is, and that there are legitimate reasons for such a law to come to pass.

Feel free to debate it, but make sure that your arguments are informed.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
PM
The biggest two conflicting things I see about this are clashing.

There is the art-form, called found art. This includes using artwork...and making it your own by presenting it in a different manner. Often, however, this includes putting hodge-podge, random items in a certain order.

However, there are people who like to post their art online. Certain people looove to take credit for art that truly isn't theirs. They take the art, that someone has worked hard on, and put their watermarks on it, presenting it as their own. Classic case in this instance is E-baum taking things from SA's forums, slapping his watermark on it, then getting adds from sponsors. Basically, getting paid for art that isn't his.

The sad thing is, this law seems to try to help certain artists, but hurts the majority. This is only my opinion.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
Seems you've roused the rabble there Qaza
PM
I'm not saying the bills are completely, utterly wrong, I am saying that I am dissatisfied with how they are written currently.

Plagarisim is going to happen, regardless of what laws and bills are passed. That's not really the point of this. I'm more concerned with the process required to protect the works and the concept of a "good faith" search.

As it stands, I didn't intend to start any arguments, drama, etc. I hate politics, which is why I don't discuss them very often. I just also do not enjoy the concept of this bill as it currently stands.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
Still, by posting a request to write our Congressmen and women (or is it Congresspeople) regarding this bill, you invited debate. There's nothing wrong with debate, I've purused the links and the comments here and came away with more knowledge than I had before, so it's a win situation for me and others like me. Thank you for that. Debate is healthy, so long as it remains respectful. So again, thanks for the knowledge.
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
PM
Qaza Wrote:I'm not saying the bills are completely, utterly wrong, I am saying that I am dissatisfied with how they are written currently.

Plagarisim is going to happen, regardless of what laws and bills are passed. That's not really the point of this. I'm more concerned with the process required to protect the works and the concept of a "good faith" search.

As it stands, I didn't intend to start any arguments, drama, etc. I hate politics, which is why I don't discuss them very often. I just also do not enjoy the concept of this bill as it currently stands.

Indeed, I meant no disrespect. I am simply seeing a lot of people coming into this thread saying "They're legalizing theft!", which isn't what is happening at all.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calling: The Best Adobe PS Artists in Azeroth! Vision 0 197 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Vision
  An Art Request! (sketchers, digital artists! come!) Tarne 0 181 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Tarne
  For you artists... Kretol 2 267 10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Last Post: TwilightDisciple