The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 203 usergroup_displaygroup
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1588 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(934) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(934) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 934 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(934) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(934) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 934 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Getting RP Started
I've noticed some trends going on in the server...common trends, really, that surface a lot in Roleplaying communities that aren't necessarily good things.

Right now, I think the main issue we're having a lot of is simple lack of RP. What RP we do have going is either on hold for an uncertain amount of time, or concentrates on a specific area and develops a sort of cliquish mentality that makes it hard for outsiders to get in on. Both the pirate and the Waninglight arcs are examples of the latter, which take place in untrafficed areas and tend to be rather difficult (though admittedly not impossible) for lone non-pirates/non-Elves to take advantage of for any extended period.

Now, that is not to say that I think the pirate/Waninglight arcs are bad arcs. I think the opposite. But we need something more accessable, and simply put we need more RP in general. I've noticed that we have a lot of characters getting set up with homes, but who do not RP very often beyond extremely brief bursts that occur with chance meetings. We need more RP in heavily trafficed areas like Orgrimmar and Shatterspear. RP is what the server is about, but I see very little of it.

I mention this because of how hard it is for outsiders to get in. I know this because I am one of those outsiders. This is not Silver Hand, nor is everyone here from Ironsong Tribe. There is plenty of opportunity for people to spread out and interact with new people who are also RP-inclined. The server, as it is, is actually a little discouraging for someone not from IST and doesn't know many of the people about, which is definitely a bad thing.

I'm going to have my characters in Orgrimmar fairly often. I encourage anyone that wants to RP to meet me there, or anywhere else I happen to be. I'm always up for RP.

I would also like to note that Kretol and I are planning on running RP events in the future. We already have one idea we're bouncing around, I'll likely mention it again when we have a firmer idea of when it's going to happen.
Mmm... this is a good point, I will try to be more inclusive with the RP stories I'm involved in.
"Love's not a mystery... It's everything"
(Orignially I was going to place this in it's own thread, but I think it's relevant here.)

I have been considering putting up a thread in the IC forum and having it act as a public bulletin of sorts. It would be considered as hanging somewhere very visible in Orgrimmar (perhaps in or outside the bank or auction house).

People could post wanted posters, lost and found bulletins, recruitment notices, and the like for all to see. I think this might help a bit with giving people an IC reason to travel and/or meet up in places. I hear a lot of "I don't have an IC reason to be here". Well, give yourself one! Is your character looking for employment, or looking to employ others? Did they find some poor Forsaken's big toe and are hoping to return it? Did they just get nosy about another character because their bithday notice carries the hint of something sinister? Go for it!

What do y'all think? I know it's sort of the opposite of Grakor's idea, but I think that's what may make it work when used in combination with Grakor's suggestions.
Both the pirates and Waninglight are *not* inclusive to those original members - hell, the pirates are recruiting the best they can, through word of mouth and chance meetings. A lot of the feelings of being left out are a person's perception, not the intent of the RPers involved. Hell, I'd love it if more elves would join Waninglight but, in a conversation that irked me greatly, we have discovered that most of our players bite their thumb at the race.

I like the idea of the bulletin board because things like recruiting would go so much easier. Hell, post a wanted poster for Zartha when someone discovers her stealing (or any other character for that matter) and make it available for freelance do-gooders to find and trap her. I'm not sure how to make the arcs that I have helped create (both Waninglight and Stolen Sun) more approachable other than to tell everyone that we want them to come play with us.
Seriously, though. Show up wherever Red and Zartha are hanging out--don't sneak up on them or assault their employees/wives ( ;) )--and they'll be all, "Have some booze, have some cheese, stare at this dancer, can you do anything useful, how do you feel about the ocean?"

Only you won't know what the hell they're saying because they both have borderline nonsensical accents, and most of the non-NPCs who are around are much the same. I can't even understand Heari 9/10th of the time.

I am going to be making a larger push to involve more people with the Stolen Sun crew, though, if only to get someone around who's text is legibly English (this one kids, this one kids).
I believe another issue is the lack of people on at a time. At most I've seen seven. If we could get a handful more of trustworthy people to join in with us, I think things could move quicker as well.

I need to go ahead and make Kenji, because Kendei is pretty much stationed in Eastern Plaguelands and it would be rather out of character for "Ilthior" to leave his post.
Quote:MrMarsh wrote:
I can't even understand Heari 9/10th of the time.

Heari speaks the language quite fluently.

...Unfortunately, "the language" is gibberish. :)

But yes! A ship needs a crew! A family needs family members (even, y'know, crazy Uncle Larry).

(And as far as elves go, I know I poke fun a lot, but it's all in jest.)
Quote:mrsmarsh wrote:
Both the pirates and Waninglight are *not* inclusive to those original members - hell, the pirates are recruiting the best they can, through word of mouth and chance meetings. A lot of the feelings of being left out are a person's perception, not the intent of the RPers involved. ...

... I'm not sure how to make the arcs that I have helped create (both Waninglight and Stolen Sun) more approachable other than to tell everyone that we want them to come play with us.

I did not expect that people were excluding others purposefully, or perhaps even knowingly. However, you have to look at things realistically. Your average member of the Old Horde who has no piratey leanings really has little in common or to do with either Waninglight or Stolen Sun. This isn't just because they couldn't/wouldn't be members, but because those two are so far removed from the majority of traffic that it simply doesn't affect them either.

Your average Old Horde member has little reason to be in Eversong to begin with. The northeastern tip of the Eastern Kingdoms isn't a place an Orc is usually running about in. If he has business in Silvermoon, there are easier ways to get there than riding through Fairbreeze.

Now I don't know the majority of what goes on with those two arcs, because I am not a part of either. But again, from an outsider's perspective looking in they don't *feel* approachable, nor do they seem like anything most characters could get involved in. Most lawful or good aligned members of the Horde wouldn't want to meet pirates unless it was to drive them off, and the majority of the Horde would just shrug at news of House Waninglight and consider it typical Blood Elf politics.

The point being: these arcs are not bad. I never said they were, I said the opposite. But there needs to be more easily accessible RP in more easily accessible locations.

(On that note, no, this has nothing to do with Kandar and his penchant for sapping pirates. That was just for fun. ;) )
Then please, by all means, provide it.
Me and Drel did still go out of our way to start makeing ties with the House Waininglight, even had planned to go back to finalize arragments and start holding people to there words. It may be out of the way but people can still find there way there. Perhaps hearing about the associations through rumor or such (Sersay happend to just stumble upon them! :P). Shure it may be a bit out of the way but I dont see any reason why a character cant investigate! I was also planning on haveing Nyu check out the place. (Although I dont know how much interaction Sersay and Drel/Joshiro would have with them since they attempted assassination D: )

And I will be paying you a visit Grakor! Be afraid! Kekeke :D
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
I'm liking Qaza's idea alot... It would make alot of sense. Perhaps the Inn could be another plausible place for a notice of some sort. In any case, the idea would really give others a chance to jump in on a few arcs if they so wished to.

"Make it so!"
"Love's not a mystery... It's everything"
Oleander is currently in Ogrimmar working on her engineering as is always open for something, provided she can communicate with you somehow. Wara is a very open character, and Salil, though dour, is talkative. All three characters provide a public service, so they aren't confined to a regular group.

In other words, I oppose clique style RP, so I usually either try to incite RP or keep my characters around a higher trafficked place, unless I'm just not in the mood. If that's the case, I'm just not online. :p

What may also help is a user-created global IC channel. Since chat channels aren't suspect to the language as well as area barrier, this can help break down walls and start ploughing RP relationships. In fact, I may just make one.
Quote:Drelgaar wrote:
I'm liking Qaza's idea alot... It would make alot of sense. Perhaps the Inn could be another plausible place for a notice of some sort. In any case, the idea would really give others a chance to jump in on a few arcs if they so wished to.

"Make it so!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx3S5mqvvig

I had too.... *Runs away*
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Omigosh. *bops around to the catchy music*
*Cough* Ahem, yes uhm... Back to the topic. >.>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never started, but returning none the less Carrotts 3 873 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Carrotts
  Cataclysm Beta Started Anski 8 2,076 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Binkleheimer