08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 360
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2653
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85257
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2218
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3396

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Getting a new graphics card, need expertise.
Almost a year ago, my graphics card fried and up until now I've been using an ATI Radeon HD 4360 as a backup and I am absolutely fed up with it. I've tried several times to update its drivers but every time I do, it just cuts of the feed to my monitor and i have to force a reboot, effectively interrupting the driver install. So I'm basically running this piece of crap with no drivers and it refuses to install correctly.

So I'm going for Nvidia, like my last one was. While it fried, it hadn't failed me up until that point and the way it fried was surprising to say the least.

Here's the problem, I've never actually bought a GFX card before, the one I use now was harvested from a scrapped computer so I could use it. I think I'm going for the GTX660, but there's a -lot- of different manufacturers and I don't know what the difference, if any, there is between them.

I found a place selling the KFA2 GTX660 for a nice price with two games included, does anybody know anything about KFA2? Is it worth going for?
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
Give me a price, I'll suggest the best for the price.

On that same token. KFA2. No.
[Image: shootersig_zpsadbf1421.jpg]

Izshandriel Dreamstalker - Leader of the Izshani (Night Elf)
Merewen Sunfire - Warmage of the Kirin Tor (Blood Elf)
Aoen Stardancer - Commander of the Ninth Regiment
Aliandril "Nightshade" Dreamstalker - The Uncanny Priestess
PM
I could probably go as high as $300, but that's pushing it. I don't have a lot of money right now and i was supposed to wait a bit, but this backup card is absolutely pissing me off.

Some other dudes I asked said KFA2 were fine, what's wrong with their stuff?
Spoiler:
PM
Whatever you do, get a Nvidia Card. The only one worth mentioning for gaming computers. I myself burnt my ATI Radeon some time ago.... piece of junk.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
PM
(11-02-2013, 06:20 PM)Bovel Wrote: Whatever you do, get a Nvidia Card. The only one worth mentioning for gaming computers. I myself burnt my ATI Radeon some time ago.... piece of junk.

Yeah, I've had nothing but misfortune and frustration with this piece of junk ATI I'm using now.
Spoiler:
PM
xD Well I've been using AMD's for years. But I know the Nvidia cards well.

The 670 goes for 250$ as does the 660Ti

Honestly, I would only trust Asus, or EVGA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130911

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121767

I can suggest cheaper if needed.

Credentials: I build rigs for a large clientele.

PM
See, the problem here is that I know about the greatness of Newegg, but I live in Sweden and they're not available here. Finding a place that actually carries the cards for a decent price has proved challenging. Like the GTX660, the store with the best price for them only carries the KFA2 version for some reason. I was gonna go for the GTX650 first, but apparently the jump in performance between GTX650 and GTX660 is absolutely ridonkulous, so it felt stupid to settle with the GTX650. However, they had a million different manufacturers for the GTX650 but only one for the GTX660, dammit.

I might have to settle with KFA2 in lack of better alternatives, but I'll look around for ASUS' stuff.
Spoiler:
PM
Well, it really boils down to, what do you plan on playing?

PM
As much as possible, is the simple answer. I want a graphics card that if I see a PC game I want to play, i'll be able to play it and have it look and run decent.

After looking around the store a bit more, I -did- manage to find an ASUS GTX660 Ti for -just- about 300 dollars with two games included. It didn't show up while searching, so I had to browse through everything else.

Now, the issue I'm wrestling with is whether the rest of my PC will be able to support it. It -should- pull it off I think, but I'm not sure. I know I have a PCI-Express slot on the motherboard, but whether it's PCI-e 3.0 or not I've no idea. I also don't know what my power supply is.

I'm telling you, I'm regretting buying a pre-built model now, four years later. I should have built it myself.
Spoiler:
PM
Well if I knew your specs I could tell you if you could handle it. As far as PCI-Express is concerned. If its 2.0, it WILL support a 3.0 card. The PSU would be your only issue. I think you'd need at least 600W to be safe. I'd go with the 660. But I just recently built a rig with a 650Ti and it plays everything I've tested it with just fine. That includes games like Warframe, LoL, TERA, BF3, and several others that I can't remember.

PM
I've been looking around at the specs of my PC and it seems it's as bad as having PCI-E 1.0. I realize that most graphics card are backwards compatible, but it's going to bottleneck performance to such an amount i question whether or not it's worth it. It also seems the power supply is a bit weak.

This piece of junk is starting to make me question whether or not it's better for me to just wait and build something new. There's so many things i'll be needing to upgrade anyways.
Spoiler:
PM
By the sounds of it, a total upgrade would be the better option. It would definitely bottleneck the performance significantly. From PCI 3.0 to 2.0 its negligible but PCI 1.0 It's not worth getting the card if thats the case.

PM
Yeah, and when you're talking about replacing a motherboard, you might as well get a new PC because yours is crap. Problem is that I don't have the kind of money to do that now and I don't see that changing some time soon.

I might just put out a small amount of money to change to a graphics card equal to the one I have but an Nvidia card just so I can update my drivers and actually have it bloody working correctly. And then just let this rig limp on a bit longer.

You said you build rigs though, how much does one of the average rigs you build cost to assemble? I'm talking case, motherboard and the whole freaking party here.
Spoiler:
PM
Hmm... I've built a decent rig for about 500$ flat. That was the case, motherboard, AMD 7790 equivalent card, 500W PSU, 6-core processor and 8GB of ram.

though, I've gone maybe $100+ cheaper and used an AMD APU processor to nix the GPU entirely and use the integrated graphics which did okay for what its worth. It really depended on what people asked for.

PM
I might as well save up some money and then just go big. Build myself some sort of super computer instead of this TI-82 I've got here.

In any case, thanks for your help. I've learned a lot.
Spoiler:
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pick my Graphics Card! Clovis 2 163 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Abishua