The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Gold- can it be retroactive?
So, I noticed the new shinies on our profiles, read up on its page a little about it, and then noticed that I had nearly 100 less than someone who joined less than a week ago.

I asked around, and some suggested that it wasn't retroactive for the sake of reducing inflation, but if you really want to make all the gold from long-time users go away, why not reward us with some nice, but limited-time offers?

Now, yes, none of it technically matters, yadeyadda, but if we're going to have a system like this at all, its a bit disappointing that all my likes and posts mean less in this new gold system due solely to the date in which they were posted. As is, its just giving me a sense of frustration instead of furthering the pleasure of participating in the community, and I highly suspect the purpose of the gold system was about the latter, not the former.

~~
And while we're at it, perhaps could there be a bonus for posting at least once every month or something? This would be moreso to promote people who don't normally use the forums to come around here more than for the people who usually hang out. I'd like to see the general CotH population have a greater presence on the website. :P
I'm personally in agreement with why it was wiped, as a new system should come with everyone starting fresh. It's not as if we had anything to do with it before yesterday after all. It was retroactive for a little bit, which resulted in people having over 50k gold. As Kretol is the man who put this in, he has full power of what goes on with it. It is very new, so things can and likely will be subject to change.

I actually don't envision the gold thingy on the forums being a very important part of things. I don't even think Kretol has plans for what to do with at present, heh. So I wouldn't worry about it.
If there are no plans for it at the moment, why add it? Not that I care, unless this gold thing somehow ties into getting something in-game, like a 2-seater flying mount for all types of OOC fun. Still, if it's not ready for release, there's no point in releasing it.

Unless Kretol wants to be a modern video game developer, in which case, carry on.
(04-30-2013, 01:22 PM)Reigen Wrote: I'm personally in agreement with why it was wiped, as a new system should come with everyone starting fresh.

Why? I mean, with a new server I can see a reset being good, as it updates characters, but for something purely OoC?

(04-30-2013, 01:22 PM)Reigen Wrote: It was retroactive for a little bit, which resulted in people having over 50k gold.
Why is this bad? If anything, I think it would be a bit better- gold having been earned by people who without people having the potential temptation of gold farming?

(04-30-2013, 01:22 PM)Reigen Wrote: As Kretol is the man who put this in, he has full power of what goes on with it. It is very new, so things can and likely will be subject to change.

"It is earned/spent strictly on the forums (and in the future, potentially in-game)."
This is all we have for its purpose. But if its just a little, not very important thing, that gives even less reason to start fresh.
And I don't doubt Kretol's power in this; that's why I'm hoping to discuss it here. Because I think we're all a wee bit confused at the moment.
The way I see it, the gold is a way to (Sooner or later) reward you for your activity. It pushes us to make bigger and more detailed posts, or at least it can if you care about the gold. Like Rigley said, it's not that big of a deal and probably won't be. It will probably just be something like a way to get cosmetic items like mounts for OOC use. I don't think it matters that newer users can get more gold than those of us that have been around for quite a while, and even those of you that were around long before people like me showed up. It just started yesterday so why should you or I or anyone get a headstart because of activity -before- it came out?

I don't see this as becoming any kind of -reward- type system for activity, but instead a reason. Why not stay active in the community if it gets you some cool things right? Just like a server wipe like happened with Cata. Older players shouldn't get a boost just because we are... older. The sign that you are older and have been here longer and how active you are is right under your avatar. Says it all with the posts and join date.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
I.. Don't like the gold idea really at all to be honest. I feel like it's more of a reward for people who post a lot. Which isn't fair to the people who don't care to post a lot. I mean, forum things would be cool. Silly OOC stuff would be cool too (Like the Kretol hug) but getting stuff like gear or anything like that shouldn't happen. Ever. It'll create a divide between the active forum people and the lurkers. Eventually it'll reach a point that people who are new won't have all the shiny's. In a sense, whipping it now wont do much in the long run when people are back up to where they were and new members start at 100.

Don't like the potential for a divide. Reminds me too much of upper and lower class. Don't want that on coth :/
I doubt we would be able to buy gear. If anything it would probably just be things like mounts or maybe one of the big weapons that currently require level 86 and we get a version that we can actually wield.

I don't see how people not caring to do something and so the others get rewarded with cosmetic things is unfair lol. I have found that a good sized profile is worth about 100 gold, so it isn't THAT hard to earn gold. I know... I'm the richest person around xD.

But like I said, I highly doubt that Kretol would allow us to get things with forum gold that would give us any sort of advantage over newer players and those that aren't active on the forum. And besides, so what if it did give us gear? This is a RP server so giving boosts to PvE should be the least of anyone's concerns.
Spoiler:
I don't even know what this is.

I didn't know it existed prior.

WOT EES DIS.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Can we have microtransactions for gold?

Say. 99c for 1000g?
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
If it's retroactive, I'll be the richest person, hands down.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I wonder if I'll like and then unlike a post, will the gold he gains stay? And if it does, can I keep doing it?
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Nope, it does not stay with you. I just tried it on your post.

Edit: Re-liked cause I felt bad for guinea pigging you..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
(04-30-2013, 01:39 PM)Aadora Wrote: It just started yesterday so why should you or I or anyone get a headstart because of activity -before- it came out?
Then why have a system that rewards forum activity if you're not going to reward peoples' activity equally? By that logic, new users get it easier, because they get the 50 gold bonus just for joining. Not to mention, they could dig up polls and vote to get gold, while all the past voting I've done technically blocks me out of getting said gold.

Rewarding you sooner or later? If I've been here, and a lot of my best and longest stuff is already on here, why is it wrong to expect to be rewarded sooner?

I'm not an altoholic; I only bother with profiles if I'm certain I will play a character a lot. In fact, I generally have an aversion to lots of writing. I find it more discouraging that with the new system I have, the only thing I really have going for me, aka, my years of being here, is literally not worth any gold.

And if we're keeping this system, fine. But I would at least like an option to hide it from the forums so I don't have to think about it.
Everyone was fine without the gold system, why is it just a problem now? Nobody did their past posts or polls or likes or anything hoping to someday have a reward did they? I certainly didn't and don't mind that all my past posts any all that mean nothing to this new system... the reason being that it's new. I wouldn't be upset if I worked hard to kill a boss knowing there was nothing in it but the victory itself and then the next day Blizz added loot to it. I made my choice to down that boss just like I made my choice to post everything. I don't even see the system being a 'reward' system anyways. If anything Kretol should just give us some simple things to buy that EVERYONE can buy, to where having some hundred thousand gold because you post so much won't matter... what are you going to buy, infinite hugs from Kretol? As much as we would all enjoy such domination over the Chieftain as to demand a hug whenever we want it, I wouldn't consider it 'unfair' because I can't and you can for example.

Like I said, gold shouldn't show anything. It shouldn't say that you have been here longer, or that you have been more active on the forum than anyone else... it is simply a currency for participating in the community.

Wasn't it said that no matter how long you have been a part of the community, you should not receive special treatment? Getting a ton of gold like that for things you did before the system was even implemented seems like a pretty big special treatment to me, and personally I don't want it.

Also yes I am very back and forth one moment saying "The way I see it it's a reward system" and then directly going against that with "I don't even see the system being a 'reward' system anyways." Don't judge me... I mean I think it will be a currency awarded to us for activity on the forum, but at the same time this award is not some game-changing-uber-person-maker that will make somebody more important or better in any way than anyone else.
Spoiler:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mounts for forum gold? Sorum 12 2,305 09-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Forum gold/Purchasable Items Harmonic 18 4,699 01-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Last Post: ProjectRandom
  Okay suggestion about ooc Gold. Spiralin 5 1,072 07-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Last Post: JackofBlades
  About the IC Money items, such as [Gold Coin]. Thayan 6 1,531 06-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Thayan
  Need Mok'Tar's Gold & Silver Benislav 3 894 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Harmonic