The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Grand Theft Auto V
I can't believe there's no thread for this yet seeing how popular it is.

Anyways, the online mode is active now and I'm looking for friends to rob stores with and eventually do heists with when they're released. So who here has it for 360?
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
It's an incredibly immature game. I'm ashamed to see the talent spent on Red Dead Revolver be wasted on GTA.

Seriously. Rockstar makes fantastic video games. It's just their stories are such hordedoodoo when it comes to Grand Theft Auto.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(10-04-2013, 07:01 AM)Xigo Wrote: It's an incredibly immature game. I'm ashamed to see the talent spent on Red Dead Revolver be wasted on GTA.

Seriously. Rockstar makes fantastic video games. It's just their stories are such hordedoodoo when it comes to Grand Theft Auto.

This is a long-winded response that I wrote late at night, so I'll lock it up just in case.
Spoiler:
The Grand Theft Auto series is fun. They tried to tone down their series and add a little bit more moral greyness with GTA IV and it didn't get them anywhere. Even those little steps were either rebuked or ignored entirely.

Rockstar as the ultra-conglomerate publisher (as opposed to their development wings) has helped a couple (exactly a couple, if I'm to be a bit harsh) of products off the ground that arguably have neat writing, however. I haven't played RDR, so I'm just putting that on the list from what I've heard, but Max Payne (despite only the ports being published by Rockstar) tried something new and did it well. Rockstar North hasn't done anything except for GTA for almost a decade - and that series is the company's flagship.

I think it's hardly fair to criticise a series that has to service the demand of - well, six million copies in the first week - for being more focused on providing entertainment instead of a story. You could argue that their approach has got hackneyed, I guess - they started the whole 'light, ineffectual political/social satire and large amounts of borrowed popular culture' back in 2001 with GTA 3 and they're still doing it a decade and a bit later - maybe a little more refined than before, but hardly boundary-breaking in any sense.

Once again, though, I'm not sure if it really matters. The game cost close to $300m to develop, and (perhaps unfortunately), those who want a good storyline are a minority. Trying to make a sandbox game both well-written and congruent with the game itself - while still being fun - is perhaps a couple of steps above giving your corporation away to charity in terms of business decisions, but not by much.

I dunno how this response got so large, but I guess my point is that there are many developers, most of them indie, that'll service the demand for good writing in games - and there's still literature out there to satisfy those needs, too. Let fun games be fun and dumb, at least until the industry matures. Heck, 3D games have only been around for two decades, and film's had since the 1920s to get into the swing of things.

Funny enough, I don't actually have the game - I'll get it when it gets a bit cheaper in Australia (a lot cheaper. Eesh, look at these prices). I've already seen some people on another forum I frequent messing around with the GTA Online thing† - I think it's neat that Rockstar have taken notes from the community and gave people exactly what they wanted this time around.

With KRAAAZZZYYYY KOOONNSEQUENCESSSS

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
I also don't have it. I have a 360. I'm also getting a lot of money (Hit me up. Lucidbow. We'll play sometime man.)
(10-04-2013, 07:01 AM)Xigo Wrote: It's an incredibly immature game. I'm ashamed to see the talent spent on Red Dead Revolver be wasted on GTA.

Red Dead had a lot of it's immature moments too, the entire game wasn't super serious. And, GTA V has many moments where it's deep and such too. It pokes a lot of fun at modern society, and of course is tongue and cheek with it's humor, something it's keeping true to with the IP.

It's not for everone, but neither is say, Saint's Row, or Modern Gunfighter 9000 extreme. Each game has it's own flavor and people to pull in, just like movies. Some people like certain things, others do not. It's real easy to be a critic when someone else pulls up something they are interested in because society gives us so many different choices.

So, is the storyline doodoo? I don't think so, but I also love pulp and humor, as well as commentary about modern society and it's eat/boff/kill ways that GTA plays into heavily.

Bully was by definition---the most immature game you could think of. It's -about- adolescence, and immaturity, yet to this day is still one of my favorite games and in my opinion had a great story. On par with Last of Us or Heavy Rain? Or even something as crazy as METAL GEEEEAR? Nope, but again, that's all about flavor.

Also, I hated Dark Souls. It's not even the difficulty (believe it or not I play difficult games frequently), it's just boring to me.

Different mindsets.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I gotta agree with the others too here, Xigo.

The storyline isn't the greatest, but the game is definitely very entertaining.

I loved Red Dead Redemption, I frequently play it to this day, and the story in RDR was definitely a high note for Rockstar. However, the gameplay in GTAV-- and variation thereof-- is so much better than RDR. In fact, it's much better than -mountains- of other games.

To be fair, I haven't put that much thought into the single player story, since I bought the game mostly for its multiplayer, which I've been playing the whole day after I finally got in. I gotta say that this multiplayer mode is an absolute blast. I just came back from playing a round of tennis and I'm about to go play a round of golf now, after I've robbed a store for the admission fee (teehee) and I think I'll trick out some cars later. Maybe get an apartment or something.

There's really just a lo to do here.
Spoiler:
The story in GTA V is bad? I don't own it yet, not sure what to think of it.

Red Dead Redemption was AMAZING. Everything about it just screamed perfection. Even if they did add in an overused zombie mode, it was a great zombie mode - although it is a shame it wasn't multiplayer free roam with zombies activated. That would've been GREAT.
RDR had its silly moments that still fitted the setting, and didn't shatter my immersion that much. It seemed like a fairly faithful throwback to old westerns, which I absolutely loved and adored. It's fantastic what Rockstar can accomplish when they set out to do a mature story.

I don't fault you for enjoying GTA. I just find it immature personally, and personally don't want to play it. Enjoy it, please do. I'm just turned away when every transexual is a joke, every black person is a criminal, every woman is an object to get jiggy with, and the main character(s) are -- to me -- unlikable. I'm weary of playing the criminal. I never enjoy roleplaying criminals, and I don't enjoy playing as criminals in video games. This is entirely personal preference.

Saint's Row I love and adore because it doesn't take itself seriously (except when it does and hot damn the boss is an arse). GTA just pokes fun at the player, pokes fun at society, yeah yeah I get it that's the idea. It's not fun to me. It seems like it wants to be taken seriously and yet it's a satire and yet it's trying to tell this serious story and yet the story is populated by absolute prats who I can't like and I gotta go around and shoot cops and military who are just trying to do their job and steal millions of dollars and so on and so forth.

Spoiler.

Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8R73tbJtNA[/youtube]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Fair enough, I can respect that. It's too bad you wouldn't be able to enjoy the great game that it is beneath all that, but I understand.

Hopefully Rockstar will take lessons learned in gameplay and apply it to the next RDR.
Spoiler:
Yep! That's what I'm hoping for.

Haven't really gotten into a GTA game since Vice City.
I loved Vice City. Still do. I'd probably be playing it a lot if the controller setup wasn't so... Archaic. It's just unplayable for me now, which is quite sad.

I hated GTAIV, though. I made it one hour into that game before I had to quit. Boring city, boring gameplay, cars felt like driving half a ton of bricks and Niko is the single most unlikable character in the history of video games. I could not focus on staying alive because I just wanted Niko to die over and over.

But GTAV? Fantastic game. Not GOTY for me though. That goes to The Last of Us still.
Spoiler: