The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Guide to Tales' D&D Adventures
So I've decided to write a little guide for people who want to join my adventures and for those who wish to host their own.

For the Players:

Things the Adventurers need to know:

-Pay attention!
-Character death and injuries are a possibility.
-Listen to the Dungeon Master or Storyteller.
-Please set aside more then a few hours if you are going to come because sometimes these can take upwards of 3-6 hours but they are really fun.
-Please keep your RP gear realistic*
(Armor level and stats have no bearing on RP and if your in uber-leet gear then your going to look "odd" in screenshots that I take to tell the story.)

The rolling System I use:

-Before the first battle all the people in the party/raid each person rolls for his/her turn. This will be the turn order for the players it can be changed and discussed by the players or the leader if there is one.

-The battle can start one of three ways:
A) Players have a surprise attack on NPC's in which players go first then NPC's.
B) NPC's have a surprise attack on Players in which NPC's go first then Players.
C) Roll to see which side goes first.

-Battles work like this. One side goes first then the other goes. Attackers roll for there attack action while defenders roll after the attack roll. Highest Roll works with a difference of 50 being a critical hit doing 2 Damage. Each side does there attacks and then they switch until one side is left standing.

After a battle if the team is not under any further danger of attack then the DM can decided to timeskip and let the team recover to full health by opening a camp staying at a Inn or something similar. This would be a time for the players to reflect and talk about what was happening and to develop. IMPORTANT!

A few things to note about battles:

-The BEST way to keep things moving is to have your emote ready for when it's your turn.
-Critical hits cause wounds. (Gashes, scars ect...)
-I use a different way of doing spells for example I say that blessing of might would add +10 to your attack roll and stuff like that *PLEASE NOTE THE WAY I DO THINGS IS NOT EXACTLY HOW A PLAYER VS PLAYER FIGHT WOULD BE*
-If all party members die then depending on the types of NPC's facing you there WILL death, robbery or maiming.

For Dungeon Masters:

Things you should know if your planning on DMing:

-The goal of this is to give the players a chance to have fun and develop their characters through other methods then sitting in cities doing a teaparty.
-Player death is a possible but you should try to avoid it you don't want to kill them as no one will want to come to your events again.
-Keep things realistic don't do anything stupid or lore breaking.
-Remember! They are not heroes or epic people keep the stories reasonable if they are being epic tell them or make it harder.
-Plan ahead write out your stories and write alternate endings to provide more possibilities for your players.
-Give them random encounters if nothing is going on but let them have a break and talk and develop friendships and relationships with their fellow players.
-Not all events have to be combat heavy there are thousands of things you can do?

Things you need to keep track of:
-Player Life
-NPC Life
-Who's turn is when.
-NPC Location in terms of player.*
*(The best way to do this is by opening a notepad or writing the information down. Don't be lazy.)

Things you -MUST- do:
-Plan your story.
-DON'T take too many people unless you have multiple DM's to assist you.
-Make sure your players are having a good time... That is the goal of this.
-GHI is your friend. Especially for rewarding them.

How to run a successful DM Event:
First thing you need to do is set up a group gather a group by letting them know what you are planning in chat or by setting up a post and planning ahead. Once you have a group create a chat channel called "Event" or "Actions" so that you can act as the NPC's or do an action. Once you have that set up rally your players in a location and you act as a NPC getting your players into the story. Talk in your special chat channel so that you don't confuse anyone and remember to act as the NPC would. I would avoid taking control of Major Lore characters.

Once you have your group appoint a leader so that they are a bit more organized and then get them to go to where you want them to by walking... It gives you a chance to plan and your players a chance to talk and get to know eachother. If you want give them a random encounter. My favorites were bandits attacking or guards stopping them to make them play a toll. *BE CREATIVE* Once they have gotten to your location you can carry out the main part of the story. Try not to make it too long an adventure unless you've got a dedicated bunch.

How to play multiple NPC's
Easiest way it too remember where your NPC's are placed in combat and move to the position of the NPC you are going to use to attack or the one the player is going to attack.

F.A.Q.

Ask questions and I will answer them.

Quote:1.How powerful can we make our NPC enemies/allies. How big can the story get, essentially. Are we only allowed to do "Oh, there's a murderer" or are we allowed to do "It's the end of Azeroth!!" type quests?
You can do bigish type quests but nothing that effects the lore; changes the world or effects ANY lore characters or forces others to be involved.

Quote:2.If someone is injured to the point where it will not heal quickly, would that damage stay after a rest?
If it was roleplyed out and that's the way it turned out I would say yes. Only Paladins and Priest would be able to heal major wounds. Injuries are part of roleplay and SHOULD be rolepalyed out.

Quote:3.Do we need GM permission to get a bunch of people together for storylines? Or can we just post information about it and do it freely?
When I first started doing them I was told that as long as I didn't abuse it by doing Epic things or doing things that are against the rules or lore-breaking I was allowed to do them. So No you don't need approval but if anyone would like to go through a Tales Certified DM course I can take you through it a few times and post your name in this thread so that YOU and others know they can trust you as a DM.

Quote:4.If we're using the patented Tales D&D Adventure system, are we allowed to sometimes vary the combat rules? For example, if the battle is destined to go one direction, can the rolls be forgotten and the emotes done in freeform instead?
I would be careful in doing this because yes you want it to go away and maybe a few rolls can be removed to make it go a certain way but you got to remember you don't want to make it so they win just because you want them to win. It's still a RP server and fair is fair even for the Defias so it would depend on the situation. But yes if you HAVE too you could. AS long as it doesn't break any of the rules or make the players involved epic ect...

Quote:5.How do we sign up for the course to obtain the Doctorate in Tales' D&D Adventuring?
Just send me a PM if your interested.

Quote:6.What sort of "epic" should be avoided? What are the lines of common? Taking down a large NPC in one hit is epic, isn't it? Would that make taking down five defias in a row epic?
It all depends on the group. Like be honest could one man take on five defias... Maybe but not likely. There are things that cannot be done by people on the server do to rules and most people know what that is. I would say that anything unrealistic or unreasonable. As for the way I do NPC's I make strong ones have almost the same HP as the heroes and basic grunts to like one or two HP. Common would be anything like finding a band of Bandits to searching for a stolen artifact.

Quote:7.
Alright, what if someone needs to go during the event? Log off and such? Would you count them out of the event, or treat them as if they're still there?
I try to find an IC reason for them to leave but if they can't then they can't it's up to the player and the DM to decide.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
How powerful can we make our NPC enemies/allies. How big can the story get, essentially. Are we only allowed to do "Oh, there's a murderer" or are we allowed to do "It's the end of Azeroth!!" type quests?
Answered.
Sorry for Double post:

MOVED!
If someone is injured to the point where it will not heal quickly, would that damage stay after a rest?
Spoiler:
We're all doomed
Answered.
Here's another one, because I'm completely -loving- this thread.

Do we need GM permission to get a bunch of people together for storylines? Or can we just post information about it and do it freely?
Answered.
I'm full of questions, now, cause I've been thinking about my own plot for some time. So here's another one.

If we're using the patented Tales D&D Adventure system, are we allowed to sometimes vary the combat rules? For example, if the battle is destined to go one direction, can the rolls be forgotten and the emotes done in freeform instead?

Secondly.

How do we sign up for the course to obtain the Doctorate in Tales' D&D Adventuring?
Answered.
What sort of "epic" should be avoided? What are the lines of common? Taking down a large NPC in one hit is epic, isn't it? Would that make taking down five defias in a row epic?
Answered.
Awesome guide!

Don't really have a question, just wanted to post to say thanks. Never really taken part in the DnD events but maybe I'll look you up for the next now that I don't need to worry about "D'awww what does I do now?" :mrgreen:
ಠ_ಠ
Neat!

Alright, what if someone needs to go during the event? Log off and such? Would you count them out of the event, or treat them as if they're still there?
Y'know, if I could figure out how to do one of those fancy character list thingies everyone has in their signature, I would.. Soso. So. There! /pout
Personally, if the player is in a position where they CAN leave for a few moments, then I'd just say that they left. If they're in a trapped room, they can't exactly leave. :P So I just assume they're there.

Although that said, I occasionally ask the player where the character might've gone off to.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simply Enchanting - A guide to the most magical of arts Kaghuros 10 3,173 09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Getting your profile accepted quickly: A guide Xigo 2 2,473 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  Sacrilege of Fatal Arms, a guide to armor and weapons. Jeff 19 8,932 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Last Post: QuantumLegacy
  Surviving CotH for New Players: A guide Reigen 30 20,789 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Reigen
  'Kill On Sight' Guide Xigo 40 13,694 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Killazer