The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you think of playable half-breeds?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No way, keep things the way they are!
25.97%
20 25.97%
Yes, but let's show some restraint (only stick to confirmed lore examples)
42.86%
33 42.86%
Yes, but let's be a little lenient (confirmed pairings as well as some proposed reasonable extras!)
27.27%
21 27.27%
Yes, and let's not worry about limiting racial pairings!
1.30%
1 1.30%
I have another opinion or idea, and have posted below!
2.60%
2 2.60%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Half-Breeds
I vote playable half-breeds be limited to special profiles or to their own limited system to reduce the possibility of Mary Sue rearing her ugly head around these parts. As far as NPC children go? Have at it. I don't see why we should limit NPC kids.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
No set number afaik. And some of them are RPed quite often!
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(04-08-2013, 11:20 AM)Grakor456 Wrote: Human/High Elf

This pairing, while being lore-accurate, raises my biggest question. To note, I am generally okay with the notion of half-breeds, even ones that aren't on the initial list so long as the person has thoroughly researched and articulated their intent.

That said, every race on the list has been IC playable, even Ogres via CMC, except for High Elves. The question I have in this case is the following: since High Elves are currently unplayable as a non-hybrid, is it correct to assume in all cases of this particular hybrid that the dominant half is the human one, and that they will be using human models? The cultural upbringing in this case is important to note, because if the hybrid is essentially raised High Elf, then would this lead to eventually allowing full High Elves as well?

I know the High Elf question is a tumultuous one, but I thought it might be best to address it now, because I'm sure it will come up sooner or later.
(04-08-2013, 12:05 PM)CappnRob Wrote: No set number afaik. And some of them are RPed quite often!
Then I got my facts wrong. I thought that there is a limit, providing that CMCs aren't handled like the profiles. And I don't see that many CMCs.. I think i've seen two in almost 2 years of being here. :-s
(04-08-2013, 12:01 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 11:52 AM)Sorum Wrote: I'd rather have high elves playable.

Technically, they've always been possible. You just need to CMC it and get it approved.

Lol in the time I took to post, already answered XD
(04-08-2013, 12:07 PM)Jonoth Wrote: This pairing, while being lore-accurate, raises my biggest question. To note, I am generally okay with the notion of half-breeds, even ones that aren't on the initial list so long as the person has thoroughly researched and articulated their intent.

That said, every race on the list has been IC playable, even Ogres via CMC, except for High Elves. The question I have in this case is the following: since High Elves are currently unplayable as a non-hybrid, is it correct to assume in all cases of this particular hybrid that the dominant half is the human one, and that they will be using human models? The cultural upbringing in this case is important to note, because if the hybrid is essentially raised High Elf, then would this lead to eventually allowing full High Elves as well?

I know the High Elf question is a tumultuous one, but I thought it might be best to address it now, because I'm sure it will come up sooner or later.

As I mentioned before, high elves are technically already possible as a CMC, it's just that one was never approved before. So, they fall into the same category as ogres anyway. In which case, yes, you'd probably always use the human model (unless, in theory, said half-breed stayed with the elves and thus became half-blood elf instead. Presumably it would work that way.)

But, let's not get this discussion off-track as to playable high elves. That is an entirely different policy and should go into a different thread.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
It would be painful to watch a Gnome with Horns, Hooves and a tail and 6 feet tall. I support this with restraint yes. :)
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

... Not even two days and I find half-breed post? This is something I can't pass up. Let there be half breeds. I read something about Rexxar, the half orc and half ogre and how that shouldn't be played. I don't see the reason why not, Rexar ended up being a horde anyway! So long as you have a fraction, I don't see the issue with playing half breeds.
Just because there's examples in lore about mix-breeds doesn't mean it's a fully-realized concept. For example, everyone knows Mules are infertile right? Allow me to shame all my teachers at once by quoting Wikipedia.

Wikipedia Wrote:Since 1527 there have been more than 60 documented cases of foals born to female mules around the world.*
*source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/40563...t=Abstract
I know this is speaking of a hybrid but the concept is similar. A handful of oddities doesn't make the thing legit.

So here's my opinion for those keeping score.
No thanks. I don't want them. Fertility has so many variables and World of Warcraft adds onto that in droves.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
(04-08-2013, 12:29 PM)Ural Wrote: Just because there's examples in lore about mix-breeds doesn't mean it's a fully-realized concept. For example, everyone knows Mules are infertile right? Allow me to shame all my teachers at once by quoting Wikipedia.

Wikipedia Wrote:Since 1527 there have been more than 60 documented cases of foals born to female mules around the world.*
*source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/40563...t=Abstract
I know this is speaking of a hybrid but the concept is similar. A handful of oddities doesn't make the thing legit.

So here's my opinion for those keeping score.
No thanks. I don't want them. Fertility has so many variables and World of Warcraft adds onto that in droves.

Except the offspring of a Draenei and Orc mated with a human and got...well, you know.

Yes, I know it's Med'an and everyone hates Med'an, but hey, at least it's an example.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(04-08-2013, 12:32 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: Except the offspring of a Draenei and Orc mated with a human and got...well, you know.

Yes, I know it's Med'an and everyone hates Med'an, but hey, at least it's an example.

I understand what you bring to the discussion but that isn't what I was speaking of. In regards to half-breeds being fertile.. I 'dislike it very much' for the same reason I posted above. Even moreso.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Let's all agree, no quarter breeds? No med'ans. :|
Mcknighter, you just crushed my dreams of becoming manbearpig.

Thanks.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Yes, but let's show some restraint (only stick to confirmed lore examples)

a) All mixed-breeds would have to be absolutely balanced like every other characters. Mixed-breeds don't get anything more special then a 'pure' breed.

b) Baby steps, ya'll; lets ease into this by case-by-case situations (like, you can't just willy nilly BAM half-breed, there's gotta be a pretty good reason behind it) before we go cray cray with the mixed bay bayz. It's just kind of standard procedure.

c) I think racial tensions between some groups are much, much higher than players anticipate and would cause an unnaturally large swell of requests as opposed to what would be realistic.

d) I'm pretty sure we'll be good if we balance mixed affiliations between Horde and Alliance. That said, half-breeds should have to be put into either Horde or Alliance to make sure they're as balanced as pure breeds.

e) I mean, my question is more "why do you want a gnoll/elf hybrid". . .We should probably be safe with lore-only examples. That makes it so we get privilege but we don't overkill with our 'artistic licence'.
[Image: Calvin_and_Hobbes_hug_by_Humongous_E.png]
Oh boy, time for my stupid opinion.

Do I think playable half-breeds are okay and we should allow half-elves and half-orcs to run around? Nope. Negative. I like my playable characters to be pure, pure players for a pure future, etc etc. Of course, that's not a good reason, but I did say this was my stupid opinion.

Do I think we should allow NPC half-breed children between two player characters of different races? Yes. Bring them on. If it makes sense, allow it. If a draenei could probably make a kid with a human, they could probably make one with one of the elves. Dwarf and elf? Hey, maybe. I think it's possible for the cursed Titan races (Human, Dwarf, Gnome) to make a kid with each other, and if humans can make one with an elf, then give me my half-elves with a full dwarven beard.

I voted for Yes, but let's be a little lenient (confirmed pairings as well as some proposed reasonable extras!)

Babies everywhere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half-Breed NPCs Kretol 66 14,375 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Xigo