The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you think of playable half-breeds?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No way, keep things the way they are!
25.97%
20 25.97%
Yes, but let's show some restraint (only stick to confirmed lore examples)
42.86%
33 42.86%
Yes, but let's be a little lenient (confirmed pairings as well as some proposed reasonable extras!)
27.27%
21 27.27%
Yes, and let's not worry about limiting racial pairings!
1.30%
1 1.30%
I have another opinion or idea, and have posted below!
2.60%
2 2.60%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Half-Breeds
Rolling a half-murloc half-human. Comes from the town of Outsmouth.

I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Spoiler:
EVERYTHING COULD GO WRONG

[Image: Neonomicon4Wrap.jpg]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Mathias Wrote:Dwarf and elf? Hey, maybe. I think it's possible for the cursed Titan races (Human, Dwarf, Gnome) to make a kid with each other, and if humans can make one with an elf, then give me my half-elves with a full dwarven beard.

Why must you be so mean to Mathieu? QQ
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Anywho. Not a fan of half-races being playable, but I'm fine with them being conceived.

That being said, here's the list of them I'm okay with as being NPCs.

Elf/Human. Present in the lore. (Unfortunately)
Orc/Ogre. Present in the lore. (Unfortunately)
Orc/Draenei. Present in the lore. (Unfortunately)
Dwarf/Gnome. The only one not present in the lore I can really support.

I'm going to just assume Med'an is non-canonical until he comes up again.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(04-08-2013, 01:30 PM)Xigo Wrote: I'm going to just assume Med'an is non-canonical until he comes up again.

I don't like Med'an either, but would Velen's short story count?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/le...ry/velen/1
Then I will assume he is some freakish monstrosity never to be repeated. I'd rather not have humans and orcs be able to have children together.
*cracks his knuckles* Time to bring down the humps on this matter. Ever since I saw the title of this post I've been plowing through all info about this on the Wowpedia and WowWiki as well as tried looking them up in the actual RP books. I have taken both direct game canon and RPG lore into this.
Note: I am bitter and cynical and I generally do not have faith in roleplayers to perform this kind of RP on levels I personally find satisfactory with my own standards. This might explain my stances on a question such as this.

I wanna start out with saying that @Rensin has a point with trying to open up features on CotH that makes us more unique and alluring, I for one want to see lots more people active on the server. And this can lead me directly into my second point which would be the "uniqueness" of half-breeds. Allow me to make a parallel to dragonsworn here on CotH - Riael has under his rather short "life" on CotH encountered FOUR dragonsworn repeatedly in his daily life, not arranged by us players. (I wanna add that three out of these four are also blood elves and one is his blood relative.) I fear that if we strive to keep the half-breeds unique we will just strangle the feature and considering our miniscule playerbase, nothing that is not truly unique will appear that way.

I think the topic has to be considered through several perspectives and I'd like to start with in-game models and character looks as the first one. Most of the half-breeds known in both levels of lore either have in-game models already or pictures that reveal they a lot like the models of one of the original races and I think this helps a lot. Were they to be allowed I'd have to insist that the character looks more or less like the racial models suggest with less obvious changes - perhaps the human-orc is a brawny human or pale and slightly skinnier orc and not a pink orc or green human. This slips into the discussion about TRP descriptions and how much different one can look from the in-game presentation. Personally I'd loathe to see orcs or humans with descriptions that add tendrils hanging from their cheeks, that crosses a huge line for me.

In-game representation leads us into the next perspective - allegiances. To which faction does a half-breed belong to if the parents are from opposing factions? Shall we allow the orc-human that clearly looks like an orc but is kept and raised by the human parent, to be part of the Alliance? Can we game-technically make this happen? In most generic fantasy settings the half-breeds become bridges for opposing factions or races to make amends and become all hippie-peace and I cannot at all see half-breeds on CotH have this kind of role. I personally believe that despite the mixed blood, the character needs from the start have a set faction it belongs too. Even if the character is a vagabond and considers itself neutral and so on, the mechanics will have it part of one of either major factions. Guards of Stormwind wouldn't just let in something that resembles an orc even if it pleads that somewhere in it's veins lies a human legacy.

And this perfectly leads me in to the third perspective - how will versus should the half-breeds be treated ICly? The other week, @CappnRob and I spoke about a similar subject; how interracial couples should be interacted with in RP. Fantasy, contemporary and science fiction often touches upon this subject and I cannot think of any interracial relationship in fiction that has not at least been met with a frown (at the very least). I think the more "appropriate" reactions should be adopted from Romeo and Juliet, Beren and Luthien/Aragorn and Arwen, Avatar/Pochahontas and so on. And it should be amplified for the abominations that is their offspring. Yes, Warcraft is soft-core compared to my own personal preferences but Disney movies are even more so and this hurdle is a common element in their movies and series. The question I ask myself and I have to forward to all of you - Whose responsibility should it be that these half-breeds are acted upon in a more or less realistic manner? Would it be logical that in a short future we will have a orc-draenei shaman among the leading shamans of the Earthen Ring backed by the kal'dorei-human hunter/druid and that the House of Nobles will have a human-quel'dorei worgen among their numbers? (This touches slightly upon the issue of uniqueness but is in my opinion much more crucial, half-breeds has to be treated as such.)
http://www.wowpedia.org/Silverwolf_elf

In conclusion I guess I have to say that I'm not against half-breed becoming playable and I they should be considered special profiles but not as controlled/limited as dragonsworn. And I think both levels of lore have given us enough logical examples that would allow people more choice in character creation and I think we should limit ourselves to combinations known as compatible in lore (and stick to the clear examples, Lelior is for example a really bad example since it might just as well be a mean joke against him). And finally I think we should keep to half-breeds or at least characters of only two mixed bloods and not more. Med'an is our only real example more than two races in one mixture and that's not at all much to go on.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
@Mathias I don't have half elves with a Dwarf beard, but...

Spoiler:
[Image: lenoirus1_zps6811ad76.png]
I have a Belf with a beard to put a dwarf to shame. Does that count?

Back on subject. As long as we're reasonable with the histories of any half-bologna we come up with and don't derp around, I think we would be okay. Will I play a half breed? Probably not. But maybe someone could pull it off and make an interesting dynamic rather than "I'M HALF ELF AND HALF HUMAN, I'LL BE ACCEPTED BY EVERYONE".
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
..Personally I wouldn't mind this as long as we kept it at reasonably, realistic levels.
Any races with similar or close-to-relevant natural statures could breed and end up with healthy offspring, for example any of the elves with humans, dwarves with gnomes and -MAYBE- draenei with tauren, of course lets keep it in terms of: 'They look similar.'

And since we're introducing Catacylsm soon, possibly dwarves with goblins and, probably the -MOST REASONABLE AND POSSIBLE-, Worgen with humans.
Hand me some feedback!
Spoiler:
Quote:I don’t want you to protest,
I don’t want you to riot,
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write.
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
the inflation and the crime in the Streets.
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad.

You’ve got to say:
I’m a Human being God damn it !
*MY LIFE HAS VALUE!*
It's a matter of what's in the lore at this point. You can't take into account real life genetics, due to many, many complicated reasons. I for one don't really support the idea of half-race characters, especially if it isn't backed up in the already set lore.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
(04-08-2013, 01:53 PM)Xigo Wrote: Then I will assume he is some freakish monstrosity never to be repeated. I'd rather not have humans and orcs be able to have children together.

I'm curious as to why you don't want humans and orcs to have kids, but meh.

My excellent (read: terrible) reading skills has just helped me realize that the poll is for playable half-breed races, when I thought it was also for NPC children. I already said I was okay with half-breed babies of all different mixes, but the poll (and most of the discussion) seems to be about players. What about NPCs? Would there be more freedom with the babies?
I just find it really weird that creatures, not even from the same planet, can have intercourse and offspring. I think the orc/human thing is just a carry-on from DnD that we could get rid of.
Draenie and orcs aren't from the same planet. Just sayin.
They've been around for long enough for evolution to do some potentially kinky things.
Hand me some feedback!
Spoiler:
Quote:I don’t want you to protest,
I don’t want you to riot,
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write.
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
the inflation and the crime in the Streets.
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad.

You’ve got to say:
I’m a Human being God damn it !
*MY LIFE HAS VALUE!*
This talk of different worlds reminds me of the episode of Star Trek: TNG (6:20 to be precise) where they find that Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Cardassians, etc all come from an ancient humanoid species that spread their genetic material to many different planets.

Kinda like those Titans there.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
(04-08-2013, 03:41 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Draenie and orcs aren't from the same planet. Just sayin.

I don't really like that pairing either. Honestly, I'd like to just get rid of half-races from Warcraft lore in general. They're annoying.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half-Breed NPCs Kretol 66 14,375 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Xigo