The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you think of playable half-breeds?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No way, keep things the way they are!
25.97%
20 25.97%
Yes, but let's show some restraint (only stick to confirmed lore examples)
42.86%
33 42.86%
Yes, but let's be a little lenient (confirmed pairings as well as some proposed reasonable extras!)
27.27%
21 27.27%
Yes, and let's not worry about limiting racial pairings!
1.30%
1 1.30%
I have another opinion or idea, and have posted below!
2.60%
2 2.60%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Half-Breeds
(04-08-2013, 04:28 PM)Xigo Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 03:41 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Draenie and orcs aren't from the same planet. Just sayin.

I don't really like that pairing either. Honestly, I'd like to just get rid of half-races from Warcraft lore in general. They're annoying.

I think lore needs to be retooled completely.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(04-08-2013, 04:31 PM)Rensin Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 04:28 PM)Xigo Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 03:41 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Draenie and orcs aren't from the same planet. Just sayin.

I don't really like that pairing either. Honestly, I'd like to just get rid of half-races from Warcraft lore in general. They're annoying.

I think lore needs to be retooled completely.

Because Blizzard "assassinates" lore right?
Spoiler:
[Image: 524px-Troll-trollface-20-l.png]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Saying halfbreeds between humanoids are impossible is like saying you can't combine a poodle with a husky. Two -very- different types of dogs, but they can still have offspring, because they're -similar-. Blizzard makes a lot of mistakes, but I really don't think halfbreeds are one.
Eh, I'm against this. Very much against this.

I feel like a problem with many RP servers and with RP'rs in general is that they choose style over character substance. This, and multi-classing, and "unusual features" (i.e--rainbow colored eyes) are the laziest methods of character differentiation imaginable. Right now, a player has all the tools necessary to develop a unique and interesting character as is. People should be concentrating on developing an interesting, strong character, without having to rely on these kinds of "exotic" tropes.

Honestly, even if this does pass, I foresee it will translate into a cliche spike fest where everyone rolls a "unique and special" half-breed alt, plays them for about 2 weeks, and then forgets all about them. Why? 'Cause that's what people do.

Plus, I see that with the "only available to special profiles" running into the problem of, how to put it politely....privileging certain sections of the user base. Much like the old prestige system, half-breed characters will exist as a status symbol certain players have over others. It'll be one of those things where people will be like "yeah, look at me, I have the cool human/elf hybrid, what son." People did that alllllll the time with their prestige classes, and I see it again.

And another thing? I don't see the literary appeal. It seems really, really cliche. Now, I'm confident that there are players here who could do something interesting with a half breed character. But I think many of them will fall into the same cliched trope of the "I AM A DEEP AND SOULFUL CHARACTER TORN BETWEEN TWO RACES AND CULTURES I HAVE PROBLEMS IDENTIFYING WITH ONE SIDE AND OFTEN STRADDLE THE LINE OF CONVENTIONAL DEFINITIONS THIS EITHER MAKES ME DISTANT, MISANTHROPIC, AND MELANCHOLIC OR MAKES ME WANNA START A LOVE FEST WITH EVERYONE LOOK AT HOW SPECIAL I AM" type.

Yes. That is a trope. Why? 'Cause I said so.

All in all--why bother?

I just see it as another irksome fad that people will try to lord over others.

.....I'd rather have Steamwheedle Cartel Goblins.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Krent, you noob. You forgot your Jpop.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(04-08-2013, 04:45 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Krent, you noob. You forgot your Jpop.

I'm not feeling J-Pop today.

Yes, Krent has those moments.

Have Heavy D instead.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7gG0i2Ncn0
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
(04-08-2013, 04:34 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Saying halfbreeds between humanoids are impossible is like saying you can't combine a poodle with a husky. Two -very- different types of dogs, but they can still have offspring, because they're -similar-. Blizzard makes a lot of mistakes, but I really don't think halfbreeds are one.

Saying halfbreeds between humanoids are impossible is like saying you can't combine a human with a monkey, both of those humanoids. Monkeys do share 98% of our DNA, yet we can't have monkey-human hybrids, can we? :P
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(04-08-2013, 03:51 PM)Noble Wrote: They've been around for long enough for evolution to do some potentially kinky things.

I hate to be that person, but that isn't how it works. They'd have to share a relatively close common ancestor, hence why there are mules, even if they're sterile.

That, or you could just throw magic in the equation and then everything gets broken.

Quote:Honestly, even if this does pass, I foresee it will translate into a cliche spike fest where everyone rolls a "unique and special" half-breed alt, plays them for about 2 weeks, and then forgets all about them. Why? 'Cause that's what people do.

This is what unfortunately has happened with a lot of things.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
(04-08-2013, 04:55 PM)Xigo Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 04:34 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: Saying halfbreeds between humanoids are impossible is like saying you can't combine a poodle with a husky. Two -very- different types of dogs, but they can still have offspring, because they're -similar-. Blizzard makes a lot of mistakes, but I really don't think halfbreeds are one.

Saying halfbreeds between humanoids are impossible is like saying you can't combine a human with a monkey, both of those humanoids. Monkeys do share 98% of our DNA, yet we can't have monkey-human hybrids, can we? :P

Do you know the DNA of an elf? No, fantasy creature foo! We're already in a realm with magic and dwarves who are a legit species instead of a height issue. To start trying to understand genetics of something -not real- and dictate what can and can't be done because of it is kinda.. Well a contradiction. Fantasy scientist .-.

On another note, reading through man of these posts has made me kinda depressed. The main issue with all these half-breeds is that people on this server won't play them right, abuse them, show them off as a symbol of power.. I don't understand. I don't see anybody -now- who would do that. It's happened in the past as I have heard multiple times, but this isn't then. People have brought up other servers. We're not -those- servers.

I trust -every single person on this server- to play -any- character right until I'm proven otherwise, whether how they rp, character profile, or anything like that. To say someone can't do something right before they had a chance to do it is just wrong. I deal with it enough about my little brother. Have some faith ya? These wont be something that people can just play after all. So please, -faith-.

I've wanted to rp a half elf for over six years now, because I love the concept of my own character. What's the issue with that? There is no such thing as -too many- options for uniqueness. So long as your not breaking other rules such as OPness, being marysue, etc, I don't see -any- issue. And from what I hear? There will be some pretty harsh rules to make sure none of that happens.

-Edit-

There was more I was gonna say. Lost track, expect either a new post or an edit soon enough.
(04-08-2013, 05:08 PM)KageAcuma Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 04:55 PM)Xigo Wrote:

Do you know the DNA of an elf? No, fantasy creature foo! We're already in a realm with magic and dwarves who are a legit species instead of a height issue. To start trying to understand genetics of something -not real- and dictate what can and can't be done because of it is kinda.. Well a contradiction. Fantasy scientist .-.

On another note, reading through man of these posts has made me kinda depressed. The main issue with all these half-breeds is that people on this server won't play them right, abuse them, show them off as a symbol of power.. I don't understand. I don't see anybody -now- who would do that. It's happened in the past as I have heard multiple times, but this isn't then. People have brought up other servers. We're not -those- servers.

I trust -every single person on this server- to play -any- character right until I'm proven otherwise, whether how they rp, character profile, or anything like that. To say someone can't do something right before they had a chance to do it is just wrong. I deal with it enough about my little brother. Have some faith ya? These wont be something that people can just play after all. So please, -faith-.

I've wanted to rp a half elf for over six years now, because I love the concept of my own character. What's the issue with that? There is no such thing as -too many- options for uniqueness. So long as your not breaking other rules such as OPness, being marysue, etc, I don't see -any- issue. And from what I hear? There will be some pretty harsh rules to make sure none of that happens.

-Edit-

There was more I was gonna say. Lost track, expect either a new post or an edit soon enough.

Personally I just dislike half-breeds in general (usually), especially how WoW handles them. S'not distrust, just a dislike for the concept. As far as 'its fantasy so it should be alright', I'm honestly fine with that so long as it remains... terrestrial.

Half human/elf? Yeah sure. I don't like it, but I'll buy it.

Half orc/ogre? Kinda squicky depending on what you're looking at there, but they're from the same world. I'll buy it.

Draenei and orc? Or Draenei and anything? I'm a bit more sketchy towards. I don't require a rigid system of science or the like, but it just seems... strange. Silly. Past the suspension of disbelief allotted to the other examples.

Not going to argue or anything, but that's my personal impression to it. May seem silly but eh, there y'go. That's not even getting into the cries of mary sue or anything, just on a the base level.
(04-08-2013, 04:36 PM)Krent Wrote: Eh, I'm against this. Very much against this.

I feel like a problem with many RP servers and with RP'rs in general is that they choose style over character substance. This, and multi-classing, and "unusual features" (i.e--rainbow colored eyes) are the laziest methods of character differentiation imaginable. Right now, a player has all the tools necessary to develop a unique and interesting character as is. People should be concentrating on developing an interesting, strong character, without having to rely on these kinds of "exotic" tropes.

Honestly, even if this does pass, I foresee it will translate into a cliche spike fest where everyone rolls a "unique and special" half-breed alt, plays them for about 2 weeks, and then forgets all about them. Why? 'Cause that's what people do.

Plus, I see that with the "only available to special profiles" running into the problem of, how to put it politely....privileging certain sections of the user base. Much like the old prestige system, half-breed characters will exist as a status symbol certain players have over others. It'll be one of those things where people will be like "yeah, look at me, I have the cool human/elf hybrid, what son." People did that alllllll the time with their prestige classes, and I see it again.

And another thing? I don't see the literary appeal. It seems really, really cliche. Now, I'm confident that there are players here who could do something interesting with a half breed character. But I think many of them will fall into the same cliched trope of the "I AM A DEEP AND SOULFUL CHARACTER TORN BETWEEN TWO RACES AND CULTURES I HAVE PROBLEMS IDENTIFYING WITH ONE SIDE AND OFTEN STRADDLE THE LINE OF CONVENTIONAL DEFINITIONS THIS EITHER MAKES ME DISTANT, MISANTHROPIC, AND MELANCHOLIC OR MAKES ME WANNA START A LOVE FEST WITH EVERYONE LOOK AT HOW SPECIAL I AM" type.

Yes. That is a trope. Why? 'Cause I said so.

All in all--why bother?

I just see it as another irksome fad that people will try to lord over others.

.....I'd rather have Steamwheedle Cartel Goblins.

I completely disagree. I think adding more and more possibilities into something can make individualistic characters, depending on what you do with it. Yes, it has potential to be crap, but as has been seen here before, you can do that without having something super special about you like rainbow eyes or being born of two different races. While I can understand your distaste with tropes, I've always been of the opinion that they will -exist- no matter what. Why is this? There's not much that has been written that hasn't been written before.

Keeping in mind that technology, time, social events, as well as multiple other factors are secondary to writing, the same material gets used over and over again. A good case in point is Shakespeare. His works are timeless, meaning that they can exist in any time period and setting. How many stories are similar to Romeo and Juliet, and are still entertaining? How many times has Ceasar been rehashed?

Adding in the cross races doesn't effect things really from a writing standpoint. Racial tension, drama due to parentage will happen no matter what, considering bastard children and so on. The tension between this happens a lot on CoTH -already-. Simply put, even if people can't have half-breeds, they will -still- have crossfaction and cross race relationships, which by the argument you've provided is basically the same thing.

Does it make any of those bad? No? Are they cliche? Maybe, but who it's fun to, who it's cliche and stuff too? That's all a huge matter of opinion.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Voted no, because that's simply my preference to not have half-breeds in RP. I do not believe it will add to RP or enhance it in any way, but to each their own. Haven't read the five pages, it's past 3 AM here.
I wouldn't want an anything-goes pregnancy or half breed if we picked to have half breed. I'd like them to be present in lore. I say this personally as someone who liked the idea of a good and sensible way to avoid pregnancy by dating outside of race. I gave that to my orcs and trolls and also my humans and gnomes. It may sound shallow but I do like the idea of some justifiable pregnancy avoidance that doesn't stem from "oh she's infertile" or they have some magical fantasy contraceptive. That's just me personally.

As for playable I would restrict it to not include high-elf variants. I also don't think there'd be playable half blood elves unless we are sure that half high elves were able to change into blood elves and were present for those lore events. I also wouldn't know if something like a mok'nathal would work without a CMC because they have some skin tones that don't seem passable with a current orc model. It seems half orcs too have some skin tones you wouldn't find present on the current racial models. If the half-breeds could easily pass as a single race then I don't think they'd have to deal with the challenges and prejudices they face, which would take away some from the struggle.
(04-08-2013, 03:13 PM)Mathias Wrote: My excellent (read: terrible) reading skills has just helped me realize that the poll is for playable half-breed races, when I thought it was also for NPC children. I already said I was okay with half-breed babies of all different mixes, but the poll (and most of the discussion) seems to be about players. What about NPCs? Would there be more freedom with the babies?

The thread is for both. The poll was simply described a little off, but the votes and ideas are for both.

As far as NPC kids go, if you have a different opinion on that, feel free to voice it. Personally, I'd rather we keep with consistency, because being inconsistent makes people argue and complain about the inconsistency. If we're allowing half-breeds to be played, but not certain combinations that we're allowing for NPCs, that strikes me as odd (barring obvious issues of certain races having not known each other for at least 18 years yet.)

(04-08-2013, 05:08 PM)KageAcuma Wrote: On another note, reading through man of these posts has made me kinda depressed. The main issue with all these half-breeds is that people on this server won't play them right, abuse them, show them off as a symbol of power.. I don't understand. I don't see anybody -now- who would do that. It's happened in the past as I have heard multiple times, but this isn't then. People have brought up other servers. We're not -those- servers.

I don't think we should espouse ourselves as some superior authority on roleplaying or WoW lore. Nor, I think, should we proclaim ourselves the height of maturity as a server. Speaking as someone who has been here since the server's creation, I can honestly say that we've had a number of RPers that will betray any trust given to them. We've had players who just aren't that good. That's not to put down our players, we do have a wonderful community, I feel, compared to some other servers...but you can't be blind in that admiration.

If there is anything that my role as an administrator for CotH has taught me, it's that you can't have faith that liberties won't be abused. Even normally wonderful and agreeable people will do improper, immoral, or extreme things if they believe they can get away with it and it fits into something they personally desire. That's just life, that's just human behavior. So, to that end, it's important to anticipate possible abuses and make steps to stem problems before they happen, or swiftly when they occur. The same is true with how things are RPed.

That is not to say I am against offering new liberties. Just that such liberties should come with the restriction-fence posts being moved, not entirely destroyed. One can't simply "have faith" that everything will go wonderfully, that every character made will be RPed perfectly, etc. Heck, I think we've all seen headache characters of the current base classes and races as-is, and I've mentioned before how certain classes (particularly warlocks, priests, paladins, and death knights) tend to attract worse RP than others due to it being harder to RP those classes to snuff. At the end of the day, this:

Quote:The main issue with all these half-breeds is that people on this server won't play them right, abuse them, show them off as a symbol of power..

Is not a completely baseless worry. This exact same thing happened with demon hunters, and then dragonsworn. Not all of them, of course, but there were some that we had some major regrets allowing after the fact.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
The profile system would prevent these liberties from being abused, I would think, just like with any other profile.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half-Breed NPCs Kretol 66 14,375 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Xigo