The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: What do you think of playable half-breeds?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No way, keep things the way they are!
25.97%
20 25.97%
Yes, but let's show some restraint (only stick to confirmed lore examples)
42.86%
33 42.86%
Yes, but let's be a little lenient (confirmed pairings as well as some proposed reasonable extras!)
27.27%
21 27.27%
Yes, and let's not worry about limiting racial pairings!
1.30%
1 1.30%
I have another opinion or idea, and have posted below!
2.60%
2 2.60%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Half-Breeds
(04-08-2013, 06:02 PM)Rensin Wrote: The profile system would prevent these liberties from being abused, I would think, just like with any other profile.

Of course, that is a possibility. As I said, I'm not against additional liberties, and don't interpret that post to mean I'm against playable half-breeds entirely. I was actually the one to mention the possibility when the idea of half-breed children was proposed. I'm simply saying that "have faith" isn't a very good reason to accept the idea.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Demon hunters and dragonsworn had their problems in the past, but now they're perfectly fine. I don't see how this would be any different- at the least, give it a chance.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(04-08-2013, 06:07 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Demon hunters and dragonsworn had their problems in the past, but now they're perfectly fine. I don't see how this would be any different- at the least, give it a chance.

Maaaaaan, if you knew of all the arguing GMs have done over the Dragonsworn system, you wouldn't be saying that.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
I think that might be part of the problem? We don't know any of that stuff, heh.

We just know what we as players would think would fun for us.

Edit: I phrased that derpy. We know what we as players would like.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(04-08-2013, 06:09 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 06:07 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Demon hunters and dragonsworn had their problems in the past, but now they're perfectly fine. I don't see how this would be any different- at the least, give it a chance.

Maaaaaan, if you knew of all the arguing GMs have done over the Dragonsworn system, you wouldn't be saying that.

Sssssh! Don't say that word! *bitter sobbing*
CotH has been very good with sticking to lore, but that doesn't mean a lore-safe character is safe from unreasonable RP. I think that a lot of it has to do with the RPers ability to pull off the character. I'm very partial to treating this like CMCs are treated, the only difference being that half-breed characters don't have to exist for the purpose of encouraging RP in a certain place/class/whatever. I think that if it's in line with lore, then a half breed should be allowed, with a careful approval process of course. At the same time, I would say the same to people who seek to play half-breeds to what I say to people who seek to play interracial couples: at your own risk.

You shouldn't be surprised if your half-breed is looked down upon or ostracized.

I would hope that you wouldn't be surprised...

And plus, the conflicts that arise from racial hatred in roleplays is what makes WoW's RP setting exciting, in my opinion.

Edit: I'm sorry if my sentence structure seems jumbly. It's been a long day.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
(04-08-2013, 06:09 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: Dragonsworn

[Image: Zv1AKcW.png]
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
I think it'd be uh, nice to not have this turn controversial and have it stay as a friendly discussion, heh. It's been going fairly well so far, no need for us to get it all...

CoTH-like.

So no talk 'bout Dergensores?
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Well, I would like half breeds to be open to us just because it's another thing we can tie into the character. Sure it'll be a fad, but are we really that hipster to say, "I don't want it because other people will roll it! >:C" I never rolled a demon hunter or a dragonsworn because their concepts never applied to me, but I didn't mind that the system opened for others to use it.

A high elf/human half breed? That's a concept that I've thought about before, and I would love to give it a shot. I don't want to make one because its new and flashy, but it's something I would genuinely enjoy playing. I might fill a trope or two, but is that big deal? Tropes exist because certain elements of a story or character is common. Doesn't make the character bad if they fill a few, we're not all masterful writers who can create unique material on a whim. We take sources and examples elsewhere. :P

Besides, if we're worried about slipping to Moon guard/retail horrors, that lies in the user base. We can fix that by being tougher on who becomes a grunt/peon. So really it's either we can trust the players to be responsible about this or maybe we need to look more into what qualifies someone to join the server and what allows them to become a grunt. Pick one. :p
(04-08-2013, 05:55 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: The thread is for both. The poll was simply described a little off, but the votes and ideas are for both.

As far as NPC kids go, if you have a different opinion on that, feel free to voice it. Personally, I'd rather we keep with consistency, because being inconsistent makes people argue and complain about the inconsistency. If we're allowing half-breeds to be played, but not certain combinations that we're allowing for NPCs, that strikes me as odd (barring obvious issues of certain races having not known each other for at least 18 years yet.)

I think a poll renaming or a second poll would be nice. It's misleading when it says "playable half-breeds" but you say that the votes are for both.

As said, I'm for reasonable half-breed NPC children. Draenei and orc, two races from different planets, can have a child? And an orc and human can have one, despite being from different planets? Hey, draenei and human could probably have one. Even though a human could probably have a kid with a dwarf and gnome, it doesn't mean a gnome woman would be able to handle a draenei baby (dear Light, the horror). Elves can breed with humans, but can they breed with orcs and draenei? Hey, it's possible.

The lore doesn't answer every question we have, and sometimes we have to make up our own reasonable answers (or go to Blizzcon and hope we can ask the devs which races can make a baby with who).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half-Breed NPCs Kretol 66 14,375 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Xigo