Kreets

[-]
Latest Threads
"Is the CotH Forum Still Up...?"
Last Post: Rosencrat
11-01-2017 05:12 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 36852
RL Picture thread #2 (No vulgar this tim...
Last Post: Stealthscout
01-24-2017 02:42 PM
» Replies: 2491
» Views: 97218
Bingles' Feedback Thread
Last Post: Aethon
01-19-2017 01:32 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 39969
Sultanofswing29`s Introduction
Last Post: Sultanofswing29
09-18-2016 08:19 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 31494
Zyga21
Last Post: Maulbane
09-14-2016 07:32 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 25499

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Help Computer People!!
Hello, I just got Rocked by a virus like 9 hours ago.

I can't start any program, except Mozilla firefox for some reason. I got Avast and Malewarebytes Which I can start at the computer start up. It scans, says it quarantines ( at least Avast ) but the problem still persists. I've boot scanned, and fully scanned and Found many infections but the problem still persists. I wonder if there is any solution, because I am leaning towards memory swiping my computer. I just can't start the program that allows me to do that. So I'm really confused.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
PM
Well. If you're willing to do a memory wipe, you might want to look into a few things first. Go into your start button, all programs, accessories, then system restore...

Hopefully that will run for you, and you can restore to your last known working configuration. THEN run your antivirus, and spyware checks.

If that doesn't look to good, then hopefully you can re-format. That's a last ditch effort, really. If you can't find your disk to re-install everything, there should be a hidden partition on your Hard Disk. You should be able to make a disk from that, or copy it to a thumb-drive, if you can fit it.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
Sounds like you just need a whole fresh reboot of your system. First thing I'd do though is see if you can't run a System Restoration. To do that just go to your "Search" in your start menu and type system restore and it should come up. You won't find it unless you check the box "Search hidden folders and Files" Once you start it up I would chose a date on the calender to restore to about a week or so ago. What this does is it deletes anything that was changed from now till then so it would wipe out the virus theoretically. If that doesn't work, then the virus has pretty much already set in deep and probably need to wipe your system completely. Try the first option first, if that doesn't work, post back and I'll tell ya how to wipe your system completely, cause if you don't do certain things, the virus can still linger on your computer.
[Image: badge.jpg]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I am Paladin - Play Free Online Games
PM
Strange.

So.. I do the system update to an earlier date.

It restarts does the business, it comes back and says that It couldn't date back to the earlier date for some reason and that nothing had changed.

I use the malewarebytes + the Avast scan.

Malewarebytes finds 5 infections I quarantine then delete. ( no virus pop ups )

Then Avast doesn't find anything. I haven't had a pop up or "Virus detected" that sounds like the "Nuclear launch detected" lady... Which is quite off putting.

It also says "My system is now secure" I'm hoping it is. I don't understand what happened, I just hope it is gone for good. Thanks for your help and advice.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
PM
I thought Avast was okay but it had let a lot of things slip under the radar, so I would definitely use malwarebytes more for your system scans.

I am not sure if spyware can do any weirdness to your computer, but it's probably good to clean up that stuff too.
That's usually a sign that you had a program that somehow was messing with your computer. Often it's adware or something of the like--- a program masked as something you may wish to use, but downloads viruses on the side.

My suggestion Pharoh... quit downloading stuff from IMVU! Lawl.

But yes, hopefully that takes care of it.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
My most foolproof method of virus removal:

Download and install Malwarebytes. Fully update it but DON'T RUN IT YET.

Download ComboFix, but don't run it

Shutdown your computer

After seeing your bios screen (the first thing that should pop up on reboot) hold F8, then select "Run Windows in Safe Mode"

Run Malwarebytes, it should restart your computer, go back into safe mode and run combofix. This should clean everything off your PC pretty effectively.

Cheers!
Torrek | Troll Rogue/Engineer | Currently Shuffling between Booty Bay and Rachet, looking for work and perfecting his designs |Torrek's Journal
Oroth Kodohorn | Tauren Hunter | Wandering the Plains of Kalimdor | Chieftan of the Kodohorn Tribe
PM
You could boot up with a BartPE and run a virus scanner from the cd. That might let you access the infected files.
PM
Darthnader is quite precise on his AV, Mbam + Combofix is like the Four Horsemen of Virus Removal and will do 99% of removal. They're extremely powerful together.

Assuming the two don't work, you may have to just clear your C:/ drive and reinstall windows, which is always a good thing to do.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
PM
I work IT for the college I attend. This is a big, serious college with access to the best-of-the-best when it comes to software, and they still use the above method for cleaning viruses. If that doesn't work we just nuke the HDD.

Trust me when I say if that doesn't fix it, nothing will.
Torrek | Troll Rogue/Engineer | Currently Shuffling between Booty Bay and Rachet, looking for work and perfecting his designs |Torrek's Journal
Oroth Kodohorn | Tauren Hunter | Wandering the Plains of Kalimdor | Chieftan of the Kodohorn Tribe
PM
When I got a virus I went into safe mode and did a system restore to a few moths back. Lost a lot of crap. But I'll remember that technique for next time, Darth.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
While we're on the topic, I dual-booted Windows 7 a while back and I still need antivirus software for it. Would the Malwarebytes/ComboFix thing work for that, even if I don't have any viruses yet?
Malware/Combo are for fixing problems. For day-to-day AV, the best soloution is to not visit sites you don't trust. Most AV software is pretty useless and it eats up system memory like nobody's business.

If you really need one, Avast is your friend.
PM
DarthNader26 Wrote:Malware/Combo are for fixing problems. For day-to-day AV, the best soloution is to not visit sites you don't trust. Most AV software is pretty useless and it eats up system memory like nobody's business.

If you really need one, Avast is your friend.

This. I use a combo of Avast and Spybot Search and Destroy. If you -don't- use these sorts of things in conjunction with eachother, you'll still have viruses after you run only one. Chances are the Spybot programs are what's really harming you.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judge these computer specs Jason 8 233 12-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Jason
  I heard they're giving medals out to old people... Scout 3 242 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Anski
  Some people just needs to be removed. Roxas65 49 1,281 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Looking for people to beat! Ormica 0 139 08-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Ormica
  Husband offers new computer? I think so. Cressy 23 808 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Harmonic