The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Hero Complex in the time of Invasions
Bad guys attack the town, and people fight to defend. But, not everyone's battle can be won. With WoW's set up, it's very easy for an RPer to forget it's good for their character to not have a hero complex.

When demons overwhelmed Darkshire the other day, people continued fighting instead of evacuating when told to. Sometimes it's easy to forget your character might not be a superpowered magcian like Gandalf or a perfect gunner like El Rey because of gameplay mechanics. Your character dies after continuing to fight long after being told to evacuate because things are chaos. Should this be counted as an IC death?

Sometimes exceptions can be made, but we should remember the vulnerability of who we play in addition to their strengths.

What I'm not talking about is a character whose negative trait is a hero complex. This player is aware of what they're doing and that their character can get into problems.

Does anyone else feel some people may be forgetting their weaknesses and vulnerablity during these hard times?

Edit:Huge typos
˜★Sketch Blog
Well said, once more I'll also say that you don't have to stand before a horde of enemies to be a hero. Help people get out quickly, aid the wounded, whatever. I don't know how the other GMs feel on the matter of IC deaths from real time combat against Hordes of massive elites...I'd say the first death is excusable, second death knocked out until the battle's over, if you get up a third time...don't expect a GM to come and res you.

If the order has been given to run, roll with it. Go. If you stick around after that you should anticipate an IC death.
Siv, "A line o' ratchet white, and a scrape of gunpowder lata'...I was wonderin' round Stranglethorn Vale havin' soul searchin' conversations with raptors. Three days lata ah came back t' Booty Bay. Lo'n'behold, ah 'ad dreadlocks."
Word. Not every battle can be won. Sometimes you have to retreat.
Ruder Wrote:Well said, once more I'll also say that you don't have to stand before a horde of enemies to be a hero. Help people get out quickly, aid the wounded, whatever. I don't know how the other GMs feel on the matter of IC deaths from real time combat against Hordes of massive elites...I'd say the first death is excusable, second death knocked out until the battle's over, if you get up a third time...don't expect a GM to come and res you.

If the order has been given to run, roll with it. Go. If you stick around after that you should anticipate an IC death.

I agree with what Ruder said. Unless, of course, the character is a lower level and I'm more than willing to help them out of the areas. If it becomes a rather constant thing, though, I'll generally stop assisting.
:? I'm a bit undecided, but I generally agree.
However, sometimes people may have a good reason to stay and fight, something they'll bring up down the line?
I'm not sure, but I know I did, that's why I didn't leave Darkshire... not that I was fighting anyway, so It wouldn't really be a Hero Complex. =/
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
Yeah....Darkshire was completely lost. When the other players were there, I had Krent started yelling around 50 million times for everyone to evacuate....but nobody even attempted to. I was going to try to have Krent stay behind with a squad of Night Watch and try to buy time for everyone else to escape (Which isn't -too- heroic. Realistically, someone would have to stay behind and distract the demons while all the wounded / non-combatants evacuated.), but since nobody wanted to move out....that plan....didn't work too well. At. All.

I do have to say, it was a bit frustrating. I kept yelling for everyone to evacuate but not a single person decided to follow. It took half an hour before people began to evacuate as they were told to. Under "realistic" circumstances, if this sort of thing were to happen, everyone involved in the Darkshire incident would've ended up dead. You can't dawdle around town while an army of ravenous, emotionless, insanely powerful demons tear into it and expect to walk out alive.

Eh, well.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
It's true that Rose didn't leave, but she had a reason. She didn't want the Legion to raise her mother into an Undead, and she was inwardly panicking about it. But normally, yeah, she'd flee.
[Image: Zf6X.gif][Image: 3vBq.gif][Image: q3iX.gif][Image: 5rVk.gif]
Mah babehs. I'm watchin' you, government.
Yeah. No one wanted to leave, so I had Kenji conveniently become..busy or something, so as not to kill people.
I'd blame myself, but Eru did tell people to just leave, but no one seemed to want to. He had a pretty legit reason to stay, I think. Oh well, you might read about it soon.
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
Just so long as character realize there mortality when they choose to do what they do (though there could always be someone who is ICly stubborn and thinks there invincible, untill a liquid nitrogen bursts from the tank behind them and feezes them :D )
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
Sersay...I actually just tensed up by how disturbingly scary that was. And Erundil, we don't know what happened at Stonard, so we had no idea why you had wanted to stay.
[Image: Zf6X.gif][Image: 3vBq.gif][Image: q3iX.gif][Image: 5rVk.gif]
Mah babehs. I'm watchin' you, government.
You know that was from goldeneye..... right? o.o;
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
Sersay Wrote:You know that was from goldeneye..... right? o.o;
I knew that seemed familiar! *lol*
˜★Sketch Blog
Any character may have a reason to stay but that doesn't negate the fact that to stay in the face of defeat is to die. Regardless of your characters reasons, they must make a choice. Now, there may be other factors involved for some ((As in they don't have free will)). But again, I'm not sure that negates the fact they'd be killed, unless something extenuating prevented it.

For most (not sure Eru's situation) a choice was given. No one said the choice to live would be an easy one to make :D
[Image: Sig.jpg]
I wasn't here for the actual event, but I want to comment on something.

TwilightDisciple Wrote:Your character dies after continuing to fight long after being told to evacuate because things are chaos. Should this be counted as an IC death?

Yes, without exception.

If someone wants to play Hero, that's fine. But if you play Hero, you will have to accept the consequences of that action, including the possibility of character death.

Obviously, we GMs are going to have to be less "gentle." There's a difference between bravery and stupidity. If you do something stupid (like staying to fight an obviously lost battle) then expect the consequences for that.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ... three years is a long time... Rowgen 7 1,544 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Did You Ever Know That You're My Hero? Character Homage Jonoth 0 844 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Jonoth
  Story time! Aadora 0 752 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Aadora
  Daylight Savings Time? ImagenAshyun 1 866 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Time gap -- Between normal to shattered? Vision 12 1,748 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros