The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Heroforgotten's Guide to Totemic Druids
Theik Wrote:The druids of the fang seem to have gained their ability to shapeshift into snakes due to their corruption...

The Druids of the Fang were Druids of the -Fang- even before they became corrupted. There are also a large group of them that still aren't corrupted, which still shapeshift into snakes.

As for Hogral's thing, a Druid of the Wild should -technically- be able to shapeshift into any animal that... occurs naturally. Cat, Bear, Storm Crow, and Treant are simply forms that aid in battle and travel, which is what WoW is originally based off of.

Kinda like mages being able to make more than mana strudels and fire. ICly, they can conjure nigh-anything, as long as they have practice and such. :P
The word of the day is "Legs". Now go forth and spread the word!
[Image: 5SRU.gif]
Quote:Good call on that one, I was basing it on this quote of text:
The Druids of the Fang were once a proud and powerful group. Druids who wished to connect to the potent power of the bear would study nature and live long lives of arrogant superiority (although most night elves already did that). The existing Druids of the Fang would go through years of initiation and live in nature away from towns, communing with nature and those massive ancient trees.
that made it seem like they were all bear druids in the past, rather than snake ones, but there's also a druid of the fang template in the Alliance Player's guide that offers the variant rules for a druid of the fang.

Oddly enough, several listed members of the Druids of the Fang don't actually turn into snakes (Hamuul is supposedly a druid of the Fang, as is Nara Wildmane, but neither seems capable of shapeshifting into snakes), but mweh. Just odd.

However, a druid of the Wild still can't turn into 'any animal'. They're a collection of different druidic disciplines merged into one. While a druid of the Claw focuses on being a bear their entire life, and a druid of the talon perfects magic and their stormcrow ability, the druids of the Wild instead learn a bit of everything so they're more versatile, something that has been far more important after the third war than a strict specialization in a certain discipline.

Until an 'Order of the Fuzzy Tail' surfaces to teach druids of the Wild how to turn into squirrels, they have no mentors for it.

Edit:

Actually, I found something while digging around the D20 books, under epic druid of the wild. It's horrendously outdated information, but it says that a druid of incredible skill can turn into an ancient (as in, not a treant but the huge ones), a chimaera and a lightning lizard. However, those would be druids of such incredible skill like Malfurion, not your ordinary run of the mill druids. And even then I'm not certain how much of this is actually still valid lore, as Shadows and Light is quite old and many of the druid mechanics have been changed since then. -Nod.-
Theik Wrote:
Quote:Until an 'Order of the Fuzzy Tail' surfaces to teach druids of the Wild how to turn into squirrels, they have no mentors for it.

*goes searching for a background XD*
[Image: badge.jpg]
I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

/flex! I knew it XD
Could someone clarify on the remarks about moonkins not really existing or just being a form that Blizz made up to satisfy Balance druids?

I understand that this thread is an amalgam of personally-created lore and bits of official Blizzard-created WoW lore, but I find it hard to understand how Moonkin-druids seem to be less valid than other druids. I'm a little confused. :) Is this something being built into this particular branch of lore, or... ?

Generally I am having a hard time accepting exceptions to established Blizzard lore, so I want to understand what's going on so I don't make some sort of noob mistake. :) Thanks.
Well since Owlbears (Moonkin) do exist, I would think a Druid could become one. However, there is no classical Warcraft 3 totem that involves the Moonkin. I don't know what kind of Druid would learn it or how, but you can probably decide that for yourself with a little creativity and common sense.
Oh, so this guide is mostly a culmination of Warcraft 3 lore for Druids?

Because Druids can and do become Moonkin all the time in WoW. This is why I'm confused.... why would you need Warcraft 3 lore justification for something that is already accepted and common within the WoW lore?

If it's just a creative license thing, that's fine. I'm just a little confused :D

Thanks!
I'm not sure where you got that about Druids becoming Moonkin all the time. Shape-shifting is a difficult art to master, or at least as I've seen it RPed, and a lot of Druids seem to only know Bear, Cat, and Crow.

Anyway, IG Druid characters need to be specialized to turn into Moonkin (Talent points give you the skill, so I suppose Blizzard wanted it to be a specialized form.), and most NPC Druids follow a certain totem (Claw = Bear, Talon = Storm Crow, etc.). I would imagine that Talon Druids might learn to become a Moonkin, but what your character wants to do is dependent on you as a player.
So I have a question for this, lets say I made a druid, it would be, by default, a druid of the wild, correct?

So I have a few hypothetical questions.

1, If a druid of the wild received extensive training would they be able to be come a druid of the [claw/talon/fang/etc]

2, If a druid wanted to be able to transform into....a crab or something, if it is a druid of the wild it can transform into anything, so how would one go about learning how to transform into something like that?

3, Where is the line drawn for a Druid of the Wild's abilities? from what I understand from what I read a druid of the wild could turn into anything from an ant to a dragonkin if it received enough training.
[Image: FYKk.gif]
Click on the dragon, you know you want to.
I am The Horde, That's right, I'm the Horde.
Quote:it would be, by default, a druid of the wild, correct?

Nope. Druids aren't all of The Wild. Most younger Druids are of The Wild I would think, but the vast majority actually do seem to hold to a totem or path.

Quote:If a druid of the wild received extensive training would they be able to be come a druid of the [claw/talon/fang/etc]

Some Druids are trained solely in one path to start off, but a Druid of the Wild can seek one path over all others and take a totem despite their general training.

Quote:a druid of the wild it can transform into anything
Quote:Where is the line drawn for a Druid of the Wild's abilities? from what I understand from what I read a druid of the wild could turn into anything from an ant to a dragonkin if it received enough training.

Not true, really. Or at least not here. As far as I was aware there were only a few forms, and those were based on animal spirits that the Druids could speak to in and out of the Emerald Dream. I don't think you should be turning into a kitten or a dragonkin anywhere really.
If the Druids of the Wild really can transform into things of nature, why can't they turn into another combat form, say instead of becoming a cat they learned how to become a snake like a druid of the fang?
Aruetii Wrote:If the Druids of the Wild really can transform into things of nature, why can't they turn into another combat form, say instead of becoming a cat they learned how to become a snake like a druid of the fang?
Game mechanics.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
I know, that game mechanics stop it from happening, but whats to stop it in rp?
Well, feel free to try it, but it's quite damn hard to RP something that is not visible, for we rely a lot on graphics. If this were a forum RP server, then of course it would be way easier.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
Rubykuby Wrote:Well, feel free to try it, but it's quite damn hard to RP something that is not visible, for we rely a lot on graphics. If this were a forum RP server, then of course it would be way easier.
C'mon now. We're -roleplayers-. I find it just silly that people say they need to see the graphics for stuff to happen sometimes. I RP something that's not visible all the time(ohai steam armor).

But, like Kag was saying, I don't think Druids can turn into -anything-. Like he said, they have their animal spirits. The bears, etc. They seek training and guidance from these spirits and learn more from them about their powers, etc. So.. yeah. I personally see no reason for any other forms anyway. I think bear/cat/crow(depending on what kind of druid) are just fine. :D
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
They are fine, I just like exploring the possibility of creating a druid and having it be taught forms outside the norm, though if I were to actually implement this in IC I'd have to find someone to teach them first.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variant Classes - Official Guide BountyHunter 14 3,327 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Sorum
  Honor Among Thieves - A Guide to Rogues and Trickery Kiffles 8 3,217 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Renegade
  A Humble Guide to Druids Delta 10 3,613 02-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  (Totemic) Druids and You. FlyingSquirrel 35 16,088 05-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Victory Over The Scarlet Crusade (DK Questline Guide) Delta 2 1,864 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Kretol